Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JetpackJesus View Post
    Buy Kyries? Specifically this colorway.
    I want to like Kyries and know they are popular with many NBA and major college players, but I've never found them to be comfortable at all. Much prefer basic Hyperdunks or Curry's UA shoe to play ball in. Must be my old man game.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    So conflicted - want to support Zion but can’t bring myself to buy Jordans. What are Duke fans supposed to do?
    This is easy: (a) Michael Jordan far transcends UNC; he belongs to the world, and (b) for now and hopefully forever, Zion is all Duke. I suspect Nike will be glad to emphasize Zion's Duke roots, even within the Jordan Brand.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    it means he isn't worth enough right now to have his own signature line.
    Jordan Brand does signature shoes, though. Westbrook and CP3 both have Jordan signature shoes.
    Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I hate Nike and try to never buy their products, BUT I like that shoe!
    I want to like Kyries and know they are popular with many NBA and major college players, but I've never found them to be comfortable at all. Much prefer basic Hyperdunks or Curry's UA shoe to play ball in. Must be my old
    man game.
    I don't like Nike shoes, either, and I've never actually tried any of the Kyries as a result. I just like that particular colorway, especially with the Blue Devil head on the top. I haven't tried the Curry shoes because UA, like Jordan Brand, is a brand I will not buy.

My current indoor shoe is the Harden Vol. 3 (Adidas). I don't like Harden as a player, but he's got a great shoe.

can't wait to wear out my last pair of nikes. should probably throw them out.

abn

anything but nike

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    None of us know how much the various shoe companies were offering him, but, assuming they were all approximately in the same ballpark, I guessing his "advisers" told him to go with "blue chip" brand. More marketing power and brand recognition goes a long way in today's world.
    Well Nike gets away with offering a good deal less because players want the name of Nike attached to them.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Did Zion ever resolve his lawsuits?

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    Did Zion ever resolve his lawsuits?
    Just last week I read an article in the Athletic that said both lawsuits were ongoing, so I'm guessing no. I feel like we would have heard something since then if one or both had been resolved in the last week.

Something else to consider. If Zion had signed a regular Nike deal, Nike could have used Zion to crossbrand gear, shoes, advertising etc. with Duke like Carolina has done with Jordan since they signed their 1993 Nike deal. That's unlikely to happen with Jordan brand as there would have to be Jordan (i.e. UNC-related) logos on the Duke gear. Branding Zion close to Duke in advertising and product helps with recruiting too. Don't think that the fact that you can buy tons of Michael Jordan Carolina gear hasn't helped them over decades.

Duke has used Kyrie a bit in this fashion. There are the special Kyrie Duke shoes; some Kyrie-branded Nike Duke gear (mostly made for the team); there is even Kyrie in a current black Duke jersey in the Nike Team store on campus...
    Trinity '97, Tent #1 '97
    Tampa

Kingdom Come

As of this afternoon, Nike/Jordan Brand already has a (digital) billboard of Zion Williamson right next to the Smoothie King Arena in downtown New Orleans.

BarDown has collected images of that billboard as well as ones in New York and Los Angeles.

Quote Originally Posted by WiJoe View Post
    can't wait to wear out my last pair of nikes. should probably throw them out.

abn

anything but nike
    I did throw mine out. I was overcome by toxic masculinity.

Quote Originally Posted by msdukie View Post
    Something else to consider. If Zion had signed a regular Nike deal, Nike could have used Zion to crossbrand gear, shoes, advertising etc. with Duke like Carolina has done with Jordan since they signed their 1993 Nike deal. That's unlikely to happen with Jordan brand as there would have to be Jordan (i.e. UNC-related) logos on the Duke gear. Branding Zion close to Duke in advertising and product helps with recruiting too. Don't think that the fact that you can buy tons of Michael Jordan Carolina gear hasn't helped them over decades.

Duke has used Kyrie a bit in this fashion. There are the special Kyrie Duke shoes; some Kyrie-branded Nike Duke gear (mostly made for the team); there is even Kyrie in a current black Duke jersey in the Nike Team store on campus...
    Also, Duke players never wear Jordans. At one point I think Andre Dawkins mentioned that as a team rule. I assume that would be lifted to allow Duke players to wear a Zion signature shoe?

Also, Duke players never wear Jordans. At one point I think Andre Dawkins mentioned that as a team rule. I assume that would be lifted to allow Duke players to wear a Zion signature shoe?
    "Well, it's more of a guideline than a rule."

Being reported he’s getting $75M over seven years.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.fox...to-lebrons.amp

Look, I hate Jordan as much as anyone. But I can’t begrudge a kid for signing up for that kind of money. He’ll always be a Dukie. No matter what shoes he’s wearing.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post

Look, I hate Jordan as much as anyone. But I can’t begrudge a kid for signing up for that kind of money. He’ll always be a Dukie. No matter what shoes he’s wearing.
    As big of a number as $75M is, I thought it would be more...like $100M.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    It’s the second largest rookie shoe deal ever behind Lebron...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

It’s the second largest rookie shoe deal ever behind Lebron...
    Exactly, and Lebron was a decade ago. I was disappointed to hear that he didn't surpass LBJ.

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    I did throw mine out. I was overcome by toxic masculinity.
    I've had many pairs of shoes overcome by my toxic masculinity ...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Wonder how much he turned down from Puma and the others.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

But I don't understand why the deal is with Jordan Brand. Were Nike and Jordan Brand bidding against each other? If both are managed by Nike, wouldn't it have been more profitable to Nike to have the Zion shoes branded so that Duke would use them? Wouldn't Zion have said he preferred his shoes to simply be Nike branded instead of Jordan Branded? Is Jordan Brand a separate business entity from Nike?