Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    We haven't discussed what happens down the road when someone in powder blue argyle sports the newly released Zion1 shoe with a royal blue jumpman logo...
    I would have liked to keep it that way. Ick.

Zion's journey to selecting Jordan Brand

ESPN has an in-depth article into Zion selecting Jordan Brand: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-sneaker-chase
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    ESPN has an in-depth article into Zion selecting Jordan Brand: https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...-sneaker-chase
    There's a lot of interesting stuff in that story, but my key takeaway from the story is this paragraph, which also answers the questions earlier in this thread about why Jordan Brand instead of Nike:
    Williamson would join Chris Paul and Russell Westbrook as the only Jordan Brand players with a signature shoe, and he'd bolster the brand's visibility in a league where only 7% of active players wear Jordan Brand sneakers. Conversely, more than 67% of NBA players wear Nike-branded models, which has led the company to put an internal emphasis on balancing their star rosters. They moved Boston Celtics star Jayson Tatum from Nike to Jordan this offseason, but Williamson would be the centerpiece of that strategy.
    Basically, Nike doesn't need Zion, but Jordan (in more ways than one) really does.

Fascinating article. Sounds like a total cluster in terms of his representation, switching twice and having to rely on winning a lawsuit to try and get out of one of the contracts. Bozo of the year award candidate is family friend James “Chubby” Wells who was presumably teed up to be set for life by representing Williamson but then failed the 50-question agent certification test administered by the NBPA. So then the family has to go scramble for alternate representation. Close second bozo of the year candidate is Gina Ford who apparently needs a better contract lawyer and also left millions on the table because of it. Unreal that there was such a scramble to secure the most anticipated rookie sneaker deal since Lebron.

Article never quite explains why it was a good idea for Zion to leave millions on the table by choosing Nike over others. Because he liked the fact that there was a Mia Hamm building etc? Hard to imagine leaving huge sums of money on the table for that... doesn’t quite seem to add up.

Quote Originally Posted by duke96 View Post
    Fascinating article. Sounds like a total cluster in terms of his representation, switching twice and having to rely on winning a lawsuit to try and get out of one of the contracts. Bozo of the year award candidate is family friend James “Chubby” Wells who was presumably teed up to be set for life by representing Williamson but then failed the 50-question agent certification test administered by the NBPA. So then the family has to go scramble for alternate representation. Close second bozo of the year candidate is Gina Ford who apparently needs a better contract lawyer and also left millions on the table because of it. Unreal that there was such a scramble to secure the most anticipated rookie sneaker deal since Lebron.

Article never quite explains why it was a good idea for Zion to leave millions on the table by choosing Nike over others. Because he liked the fact that there was a Mia Hamm building etc? Hard to imagine leaving huge sums of money on the table for that... doesn’t quite seem to add up.
    I think the assertion that he left millions on the table to choose NIKE is bogus...some of the other "offers" did not appear to be real...I just think it was a headline grabber with no substantiation. Nike is really, they'll promote the hell out of Zion...I think he left nothing on the table (though for sure his earlier representation choice was strangely idiotic).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I think the assertion that he left millions on the table to choose NIKE is bogus...some of the other "offers" did not appear to be real...I just think it was a headline grabber with no substantiation. Nike is really, they'll promote the hell out of Zion...I think he left nothing on the table (though for sure his earlier representation choice was strangely idiotic).
    We’ll likely never know if he left any money on the table, but in the end, why does it matter? He and his family should never spend anything close to the contract total (even considering taxes, mgmt fees, etc.). I hope he picked the company he trusts the most; I just find it unfortunate he’s in now in “bed” with Jordan.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    We’ll likely never know if he left any money on the table, but in the end, why does it matter? He and his family should never spend anything close to the contract total (even considering taxes, mgmt fees, etc.). I hope he picked the company he trusts the most; I just find it unfortunate he’s in now in “bed” with Jordan.
    Seems to be the difference between "be the face of this brand" and "be a member of an elite brand." Sort of of like being a member of the Duke Brotherhood, or the biggest face in the history of Clemson basketball.

Of course, he definitely became the face of Duke basketball for this decade, as he might end up doing the same for the next generation of Jordan Brand.

Say what you will, he's not shy about getting in the big pond.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    ... I just find it unfortunate he’s in now in “bed” with Jordan.
    Neither one has trouble getting up to the top bunk ...

Zion's Next Lawsuit?

Merrill's "New" hiker …

zions.jpg

Wonder when they chose the name?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Merrill's "New" hiker …

zions.jpg

To be fair, Merrell has had a "Moab" shoe for at least 15 years.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Merrill's "New" hiker …

zions.jpg

Come on Zion. What's next? A lawsuit against Zion National Park?
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Come on Zion. What's next? A lawsuit against Zion National Park?
    Pfft. Less than 100 years old by name (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zion_National_Park)

"On November 20, 1919, Congress redesignated the monument as Zion National Park, and the act was signed by President Woodrow Wilson."

Let's go back many, many centuries:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mount_Zion

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Merrell is a fine company which of course started up in Vermont decades ago...(thereafter sold multiple times)...very nice array of comfortable, high quality shoes...the Womble family owns many of them...

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    To be fair, Merrell has had a "Moab" shoe for at least 15 years.
    And the Israelites were known for hikes of long duration ...