Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Eddie Fogler?

Quote Originally Posted by wobatus View Post
    They were unranked in the final poll that year:

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...-schedule.html
    We were talking AP Poll, and they were ranked 6 in Final AP Poll...I looked it up before I posted.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    We were talking AP Poll, and they were ranked 6 in Final AP Poll...I looked it up before I posted.
    No, they weren’t, as far as I know. I linked to their sports reference ranking.

Here’s the wiki link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016–17_NCAA_Division_I_men%27s_basketball_ranking s

Martin got them to the Final 4, which beats a top 10 ranking anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Tsk, tsk, tsk. Don't bring facts and a broader view to the anti-Fogler cabal's party. Don't you realize his last 3 years at South Carolina were not very good? (8-21, 15-17, 15-15) Thus disqualifying him from knowing anything useful about coaching college basketball and providing those opinions to people willing to pay him money to share them? As they say, fools and their money are soon parted.

And while he may have been plastered with thin mud, your pro-Fogler arguments are quite clearly on thin ice because the cognescenti have spoken.*

*Yes, sarcasm.
    at least some of the "cognescenti" know how to spell it. Yes, sarcasm.

No, they weren’t, as far as I know. I linked to their sports reference ranking.

Here’s the wiki link:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016...tball_rankings

Martin got them to the Final 4, which beats a top 10 ranking anyway.
    Might've been USA Today Coaches Poll and others polls who run through the NCAA T Finals. IOW, all the polls (one or more) that go through the tournament had them in the top ten, due to their run to the FF - in which they very nearly beat Gonzaga in the semis...in what was clearly the best played game of that FF.

Might've been USA Today Coaches Poll and others polls who run through the NCAA T Finals. IOW, all the polls (one or more) that go through the tournament had them in the top ten, due to their run to the FF - in which they very nearly beat Gonzaga in the semis...in what was clearly the best played game of that FF.
    You're right. Number 6 in the post-season USA Today Coaches Poll. Last AP Poll was March 13, after selection Sunday.

South Carolina ended up 24th in Kenpom, 25th in T-Rank, and 24th in RPI in 2017.

In 1997, the year SC finished 6th in the final AP poll, they lost their first round game, as mentioned above, to Coppin St. and ended up ranked 14th in the post-season coaches poll. The next year they lost as a 3 seed to 14 seed Richmond. To bring it all back, Richmond was coached by Beilein.

Richmond had been a notorious giant slayer under Dick Tarrant, beating 5 seed Auburn in '84 as a 12 seed, 4 seed Indiana in '88 as a 13 seed, and 2 seed Syracuse in '91 as a 15.

Evidently they don't do an after the NCAA Tournament coaches poll now. The last one this year was March 18, at least on the sports reference CBB site. Auburn was ranked 18th, and Texas Tech 10th.

Fogler overall wasn't the most distinguished South Carolina coach since McGuire, by the record:

Winning % at SC:

McGuire .666
    Felton .584
    Odom .553
    Martin .549
    Foster .538
    Fogler .513
    Horn .488
    Newton .364

He inherited a down program only a few years after it joined SEC, and he got them to 2 NCAAs. Felton, Martin and Odom once each.

Overall I'd say he had an OK career, didn't finish well. And apparently does well now as a consultant. I appreciate the point about consultants sometimes. I'm wondering who advised Pitt on the Stalling hire. I thought he was on the hot seat at Vanderbilt as it was.
    Last edited by wobatus; 07-24-2019 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    at least some of the "cognescenti" know how to spell it. Yes, sarcasm.
    Lol, which is exactly why I did it. Note the edits timestamp. So, focused on being “right”...

Winning % at SC:

McGuire .666
    Felton .584
    Odom .553
    Martin .549
    Foster .538
    Fogler .513
    Horn .488
    Newton .364

Felton was terrible...as was Horn. At the time Folger was there, .513 is not good. Never did anything post Coppin State. Clearly ruined it for him. Gotta love that McGuire was 666...somehow apropos...

Felton was terrible...as was Horn. At the time Folger was there, .513 is not good. Never did anything post Coppin State. Clearly ruined it for him. Gotta love that McGuire was 666...somehow apropos...
    don't ruin the man's love affair with Eddie!

Gotta love that McGuire was 666...somehow apropos...
    Now that's funny. Ole Frank had a nice run there in the early '70s.