Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Well, this got derailed within just the first page. But it sounds like Nick Horvath has enough going on to justify his own thread

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Well, this got derailed within just the first page. But it sounds like Nick Horvath has enough going on to justify his own thread
    The beard is worth two or three threads.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Scheyer will be the next Duke basketball head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    So will Dawkins, Capel, Amaker, Brad Stevens, Nolan Smith, Quin Snyder, Nate James, Collins and Wojo?

Years ago, about the job market, I was told to never replace someone who did an excellent job before you because you will always be compared to them from day 1. It doesn’t matter who replaces coach K, they will have to be coach K from day one. And nobody can do that and Very Very few on this board will stand for Duke not winning 20+ wins every year. A very tall order, especially for anyone who has not proven they can be a head coach at the college level.

You might like John, as I do, but no way would I wish coaching Duke after coach K on him, no way.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    Years ago, about the job market, I was told to never replace someone who did an excellent job before you because you will always be compared to them from day 1. It doesn’t matter who replaces coach K, they will have to be coach K from day one. And nobody can do that and Very Very few on this board will stand for Duke not winning 20+ wins every year. A very tall order, especially for anyone who has not proven they can be a head coach at the college level.

You might like John, as I do, but no way would I wish coaching Duke after coach K on him, no way.
    Someone told you that? Just the opposite. If someone did poorly there may have been circumstances about the job -- the team, the market, the boss -- that were problematic. If your predecessor was successful, you should have great momentum on day one.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Bob Knight stepped away at age 67, Jim Calhoun retired at 69 and Steve Fischer just retired at age 72. Phog Allen, Adolph Rupp, Eddie Sutton and Jerry Tarkanian all retired before 73. Lou Henson retired just after he turned 73 and John Chaney was the oldest to ever coach division I at age 74. Jim Boeheim will surpass Chaney in November when he turns 75.

Coach K will turn 73 during the 19/20 season. Pretty amazing what he's been able to accomplish at this stage of his legendary career. It's like he's just getting warmed up.

btw the great John Chaney is still kicking. 87 years old! What a hell raiser that guy was! I loved it when he wanted to fight Calipari.

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    So will Dawkins, Capel, Amaker, Brad Stevens, Nolan Smith, Quin Snyder, Nate James, Collins and Wojo?
    Bobby Hurley and Mike Brey say, "Hi!"

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

In all sports the Medicare eligible are dominating

Bob Knight stepped away at age 67, Jim Calhoun retired at 69 and Steve Fischer just retired at age 72. Phog Allen, Adolph Rupp, Eddie Sutton and Jerry Tarkanian all retired before 73. Lou Henson retired just after he turned 73 and John Chaney was the oldest to ever coach division I at age 74. Jim Boeheim will surpass Chaney in November when he turns 75.

Coach K will turn 73 during the 19/20 season. Pretty amazing what he's been able to accomplish at this stage of his legendary career. It's like he's just getting warmed up.

btw the great John Chaney is still kicking. 87 years old! What a hell raiser that guy was! I loved it when he wanted to fight Calipari.
    What amazes me that in three sports (college football with Nick Saban at 67, the NFL with Bill Belicheck at 67 and the NBA with Pop at 70) arguably the best coaches are all north of 65. Add in Coach K and that's four sports where the best coach is over 65. I wonder if that has ever happened before?

Just for reference, here are the retirement ages of some other legends by sport, and I would argue none of these guys, except maybe Tom Osborne, was at their peak when they retired, unlike the list above.

NFL: Walsh (58, although he coached at stanford until he was 63), Parcells (65), Shula (65) , Landry (65), Noll (59), Gibbs (67)

College: Hayes (64), Bo Schembechler (60), Bear Bryant (65), Tom Osborne (60). Obviously Bowden and Paterno lasted into their 80s, although I think they both should have quit years before.

If K can keep the superb OAD recruiting going, I think he could stick around until that ends (and perhaps it will or won't by 2022, lots more TBD).
    He gets to coach world class athletes, make ten million (more a less) per year, and employ a bunch of his family. All while being a contender for another national title.
    Thus far his 2020 and 2021 classes are shaping up so nicely, can't see why he'd step away unless health became an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    If K can keep the superb OAD recruiting going, I think he could stick around until that ends (and perhaps it will or won't by 2022, lots more TBD).
    He gets to coach world class athletes, make ten million (more a less) per year, and employ a bunch of his family. All while being a contender for another national title.
    Thus far his 2020 and 2021 classes are shaping up so nicely, can't see why he'd step away unless health became an issue.
    Not to mention the promise of four years coaching his grandson.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

My original thread topic certainly has been expanded. Horvath, Jon Scheyer endosements, coaching succession, etc. (I should talk...I threw in some Horvath stuff myself )

But the good news is that we are emerging from the off-season (and the disappointing ending of a special year) hibernation and again talking Duke Basketball!

Hope springs eternal, and, yes, I do think the 2019-20 team could be very special.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Someone told you that? Just the opposite. If someone did poorly there may have been circumstances about the job -- the team, the market, the boss -- that were problematic. If your predecessor was successful, you should have great momentum on day one.
    I think it depends on how far up the food chain the position is and relatedly how much power you have to change the working environment. If you're a grunt that's going to be mostly receiving orders and executing them, it makes sense to choose a job with a great working environment that's produced happy, successful workers before you arrived (to the extent that you can properly identify that environment). If you're in an upper-tier management position with lots of eyeballs on you, I can see why following success in the form of an elite, Hall-of-Fame level talent might not be ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    My original thread topic certainly has been expanded. Horvath, Jon Scheyer endosements, coaching succession, etc. (I should talk...I threw in some Horvath stuff myself )

But the good news is that we are emerging from the off-season (and the disappointing ending of a special year) hibernation and again talking Duke Basketball!

Hope springs eternal, and, yes, I do think the 2019-20 team could be very special.
    I like the line “disappointing ending of a special year”. I think that applies to a lot of Duke basketball seasons.
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Bobby Hurley and Mike Brey say, "Hi!"

Thanks for the additions/corrections.

So, it is decided. Only an idiot will come after Coach K.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I'm available ...

Your words not mine. I only said they have to be as good as coach K from the get go. Idiot is your term, and ...

Your words not mine. I only said they have to be as good as coach K from the get go. Idiot is your term, and ...
    I think if the administration searches for someone as good as K from day one, that's a wildly short list of candidates.

Here, I'll start the list of people I can think of that are his equal:

#1:

I think if the administration searches for someone as good as K from day one, that's a wildly short list of candidates.

Here, I'll start the list of people I can think of that are his equal:

#1:
    LOL, exactly!

I'm guessing that the decision process by the "administration" (AD, President, Coach K, etc) will come down a choice between two possible avenues:

1. Hire an older, experienced, "winning" head coach from another major basketball program (not sure who that might include at this point in time?) who can (hopefully) continue Duke's recruiting advantages and winning ways;

OR

2. Hire a smart, dynamic younger head coach (or assistant coach - e.g., Jon Scheyer - and maybe not a major household name in the BB world) who can develop and make his own mark on the program over time. (as Duke did in 1981 with Coach K, although I'm the first one to admit the Duke program is in a far different place today than in 1981). No doubt this is a riskier choice and I'm not sure Duke would take that chance with its golden goose.

I'd almost vote for path number two, though. I'm ready to acknowledge that NO ONE is going to replicate what K did over the decades (and I would bet the recruiting process will be far different once the NBA allows HS players to go straight to the league), so let's have a new, young face come in and try to build a program in their own mold.

Admittedly, Brad Stevens, IF he would ever be interesting in coming back to coach in college, might be the perfect combination of the two choices.