Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

I feel the need...the need for speed!

Tom Cruise presented the first Top Gun: Maverick trailer at Comic-Con not long ago by saying everything we see in it is real. I have faith that Cruise wouldn't have done this unless it was going to be one hell of a show. It's also peak 80s movie nostalgia for my youth...I was living on an Air Force base as a kid when this came out...so, yeah, I can't wait!

Cant wait

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I can't wait!
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Cant wait
    But you have waited. It will be 34 years waiting for a sequel to Top Gun (1986).

To put that into perspective -- a very specific Tom Cruise perspective -- only 25 years separate The Hustler (1961) and The Color of Money (1986). Wall Street had a sequel 23 years later. TRON had its Legacy 28 years later. Even Star Wars went a mere 32 years between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

The only sequel I can think of with a longer wait (excluding animated sequels and follow-ups with entirely new casts) is Blade Runner: 35 years.

Somewhat different category, but Hamlet was written in around 1600 while Hamlet 2 did not come out until 2008.

Okay, wholly different category.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    But you have waited. It will be 34 years waiting for a sequel to Top Gun (1986).

To put that into perspective -- a very specific Tom Cruise perspective -- only 25 years separate The Hustler (1961) and The Color of Money (1986). Wall Street had a sequel 23 years later. TRON had its Legacy 28 years later. Even Star Wars went a mere 32 years between Return of the Jedi and The Force Awakens.

The only sequel I can think of with a longer wait (excluding animated sequels and follow-ups with entirely new casts) is Blade Runner: 35 years.
    You're talking human years. Tom Cruise is a grand Thetan of the 8th level (or whatever) so we're really only talking a blink in his 1,000 Scientology year existence.

OK. I know Cruise has a penchant for doing his own stunts, but... there's no way he's really flying those planes. Right?

Top Gun is one of my all-time favorite movies. One of the things that does not hold up in the original is the flying scenes. That does not seem to be a problem here!

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post

The Dark Crystal?

Quote Originally Posted by Native View Post
    OK. I know Cruise has a penchant for doing his own stunts, but... there's no way he's really flying those planes. Right?
    Cruise is a licensed pilot who will fly "some aircraft" in the movie but won't be flying the fighter jets if for no other reason than military regulations.

Setting aside Mission Impossible (all of which I enjoyed), I thought the trailer was great other than the obvious.

Google came to my rescue- the oldest Navy pilot retired at 54.
    Cruise is 56.
    This allowed me to return to some semblance of willing suspension of disbelief and instead of mocking it endlessly, I am sure I’ll enjoy it.

Top Gun was my all time favorite childhood movie just ahead of Red Dawn and Gremlins. I wanted to become a fight pilot in the Air Force because of this movie. Why not Navy? Because only idiots take off in the middle of the ocean with only a moving football field to land on. There are people in the military that I respect the heck out of (Navy Seals, Marines, Army Rangers, etc). Naval aviators? They are just about the dumbest people on the face of the planet. I don't care how good you are...their mamas had to have dropped them on their heads as babies. No one in their right mind does what they do.

Of course, by the time I was old enough to go off to college/enlist, the Gulf War happened and I realized that the military wasn't just fun war games and went off to State to study Aerospace Engineering.

I just caught the last hour or so of Top Gun on TV this Wednesday. It would have been fun to see it from the beginning.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Top Gun was my all time favorite childhood movie just ahead of Red Dawn and Gremlins. I wanted to become a fight pilot in the Air Force because of this movie. Why not Navy? Because only idiots take off in the middle of the ocean with only a moving football field to land on. There are people in the military that I respect the heck out of (Navy Seals, Marines, Army Rangers, etc). Naval aviators? They are just about the dumbest people on the face of the planet. I don't care how good you are...their mamas had to have dropped them on their heads as babies. No one in their right mind does what they do.

Of course, by the time I was old enough to go off to college/enlist, the Gulf War happened and I realized that the military wasn't just fun war games and went off to State to study Aerospace Engineering.
    I couldn’t even land the plane in the damn Top Gun Nintendo game so, yeah, agree 100%.

They might be nuts but I tease about my cousin (Air Force pilot - fighters, now test pilot) that if he were any kind of pilot he would be a Naval Aviator.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    if he were any kind of pilot he would be a Naval Aviator.
    A good pilot does not take off without a place to LAND! That says it all right there...LAND! You don't take off and then boat. You LAND!

A good pilot does not take off without a place to LAND! That says it all right there...LAND! You don't take off and then boat. You LAND!
    What about Neil Armstrong? He took off and then MOONED!

-Jason "thank you, thank you very much. Don't forget to tip the waiter and try the veal" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Uncle on the other side of the family was also an Air Force pilot. The two of them might just be smarter than I give them credit for.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    What about Neil Armstrong? He took off and then MOONED!

-Jason "thank you, thank you very much. Don't forget to tip the waiter and try the veal" Evans
    Armstrong and the Eagle had 14.6 million square miles of moon surface to work with...as opposed to a rectangle about 200 ft by 100 ft where you need to set down to catch an arresting wire...so not really the same thing.

Top Gun is one of my favorite movies ever. I was in my pre-teen, show off your masculinity stage when it came out, so it particularly resonated. The soundtrack to the original was incredible and hopefully they can come close to that.

I hadn't seen the movie in years and was able to watch it on a flight a few months ago. I am by nature a somewhat queasy flyer and we hit severe turbulence right when the movie hit the scene where Maverick loses control of the plane and Goose dies (I think we are beyond the statute of limitations on spoilers). Turbulence plus that scene really did not go well together so I had to turn it off for about 15 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Cruise is a licensed pilot who will fly "some aircraft" in the movie but won't be flying the fighter jets if for no other reason than military regulations.
    Yeah, as soon as i saw the trailer, I could tell it was really him in the cockpit, but it looks to me like he's riding co-pilot behind the actual pilot and just moving his hands and using camera angles to make it look like he's flying the plane. Still, pretty cool that it's live action and not CGI. I hate CGI.