Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Golf Lessons? We talkin' bout practice?????!!!!!!

I have been a high-handicap hacker for many years. I hit some pretty good shots during a round, but can hit almost as many bad ones. I never know what I'm bringing to the course when I go to play(which is only 5 or 6 times a year). I could go tomorrow and hit 250 yard drives with a slight fade, or I could be hitting 290-300 with a slight draw. I might be hitting dead center on short irons and sticking every green, or I could be literally hitting every iron shot thin and watching them bounce down the fairway. You just never know.

With that said, I've made the decision to make golf a focus in my life. I'm getting to the age that I need to start replacing some of the high-impact sports I play with something a little easier on the body.

I plan to start taking lessons from a good pro and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've never had a lesson in my life, but I have read plenty of books and "fix it" articles which is probably half my problem. I'm open to just about anywhere from Raleigh, east towards New Bern. My plan is to go take a lesson, get some drills I can work on at home and once I see progress, go back for another lesson, rinse and repeat. Maybe go see the pro once or twice every couple of months with a strenuous practice plan in-between.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on a good reputable instructor that you know of or have had personal experience with, please advise. If I'm making the decision to spend the time and money to do this, I want it to be with a great instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    I have been a high-handicap hacker for many years. I hit some pretty good shots during a round, but can hit almost as many bad ones. I never know what I'm bringing to the course when I go to play(which is only 5 or 6 times a year). I could go tomorrow and hit 250 yard drives with a slight fade, or I could be hitting 290-300 with a slight draw. I might be hitting dead center on short irons and sticking every green, or I could be literally hitting every iron shot thin and watching them bounce down the fairway. You just never know.

With that said, I've made the decision to make golf a focus in my life. I'm getting to the age that I need to start replacing some of the high-impact sports I play with something a little easier on the body.

I plan to start taking lessons from a good pro and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've never had a lesson in my life, but I have read plenty of books and "fix it" articles which is probably half my problem. I'm open to just about anywhere from Raleigh, east towards New Bern. My plan is to go take a lesson, get some drills I can work on at home and once I see progress, go back for another lesson, rinse and repeat. Maybe go see the pro once or twice every couple of months with a strenuous practice plan in-between.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on a good reputable instructor that you know of or have had personal experience with, please advise. If I'm making the decision to spend the time and money to do this, I want it to be with a great instructor.
    I do not have recommendations for that part of the state, but do have some connections here in the Triad that might have some ideas. Happy to ask around. My only other current thought is that, if you're willing to go in-land some, I understand the instructional folks at Pinehurst (Eric Alpenfels, Kelly Mitchum, Paul McRae, Geoff Lynch) are top-notch. No personal experience with them, though.

I may also need to go down this road soon. "Self-help" has proven unreliable, but I remain a stubborn proponent of it (if my actions are any indication, anyway).
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Ed Ibarguan at Duke is a terrific teacher.

Best suggestion I can make is start with yoga, often and regularly. It will improve your core strength and flexibility and will greatly improve your focus and body control.

I took lessons at GolfTEC. It's a franchise that uses video and motion sensors. I'm a visual learner. On my first lesson, my instructor told me I wasn't turning and only using my arms. I didn't believe him until he replayed the last swing. Once I saw it, I corrected it. The lesson is uploaded to their app so you can rewatch it whenever you want, even while practicing on your own. Not sure if one is near you, but I would guess there is.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I do not have recommendations for that part of the state, but do have some connections here in the Triad that might have some ideas. Happy to ask around. My only other current thought is that, if you're willing to go in-land some, I understand the instructional folks at Pinehurst (Eric Alpenfels, Kelly Mitchum, Paul McRae, Geoff Lynch) are top-notch. No personal experience with them, though.

I may also need to go down this road soon. "Self-help" has proven unreliable, but I remain a stubborn proponent of it (if my actions are any indication, anyway).
    I did a 3 day golf school at Pinehurst a few years ago, and while I'm not sure I would do that again (not enough individual attention IMO), I really enjoyed working with Paul McRae. Would go back to see him again if I lived close, he's awesome.

Short game

Agree with lessons although maybe more often. Don't forget that probably well over 60% of your strokes are from on or around the green. Lessons on short game are not high on most peoples list but you will see the most reduction in your score from improvement in 70 yards in. Practice in putting is boring and often leads to back ache but keep at it.

Mike Malaska. Videos are on YouTube. In my opinion, better than any locally available option.

Have somebody film your swing hitting balls at the range so you can see if you are following the instructions properly.

Even well intentioned golf professionals often either don't know how to properly instruct you or lack the observational skills to really see what's wrong with your swing.

Malaska's approach is different from most, but it's sound, it works, and it's very easy on the body.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post

I have been toying with the notion of going to one of the weekend all-inclusive training packages at Pinehurst. It's not cheap, but if they're as good as advertised, it'll be an investment into my lifelong mental health as a better golfer!

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Mike Malaska. Videos are on YouTube. In my opinion, better than any locally available option.

Have somebody film your swing hitting balls at the range so you can see if you are following the instructions properly.

Even well intentioned golf professionals often either don't know how to properly instruct you or lack the observational skills to really see what's wrong with your swing.

Malaska's approach is different from most, but it's sound, it works, and it's very easy on the body.
    Spent some time last night watching some of his videos. His swing thoughts are definitely different than what I've read/been told in the past. I'm curious to try to apply some of what he is saying combined with looking at myself on video. Thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Ed Ibarguan at Duke is a terrific teacher.
    Read up on Mr. Ibarguan. Seems you would be correct. I just wonder how accessible he is. I see lesson rates on the Duke Golf Club site, but there isn't an email listed for him as there are the other instructors. The prices listed are for "Instruction with PGA professional" but it doesn't specify who that would be. I'm sure they're all great, but it appears that Mr. Ed really is "The Man".

Thanks for the reply.

Read up on Mr. Ibarguan. Seems you would be correct. I just wonder how accessible he is. I see lesson rates on the Duke Golf Club site, but there isn't an email listed for him as there are the other instructors. The prices listed are for "Instruction with PGA professional" but it doesn't specify who that would be. I'm sure they're all great, but it appears that Mr. Ed really is "The Man".

Thanks for the reply.
    Call the golf course and ask for Ed. He always calls back. He is a great guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Call the golf course and ask for Ed. He always calls back. He is a great guy.
    Will do.

Congratulations! I've had lessons off and on over the years, with positive results. I have some worries about your proposed approach; it sounds like you are walking in with some limiting preconceptions or assumptions.

Asking around for recommendations is great, but remember this is a one-on-one human interaction, which can be unpredictable. Even a pro with a great reputation might not be the best specific teacher for you (or me); the probability is probably very good, but it's no guarantee. Be prepared to see someone else if you aren't feeling the love after a few sessions.

You also seem to have your practice / drill plan all laid out. Seems to me that's a bit like going to the doctor knowing what prescription you want to get. Let the diagnosis happen first. It's possible the pro might ask you to work on something different than expected.

What kind of learner are you? Are you visual? Analytic? Or more "feel"? For example, there might be a couple different drills that fix a given flaw.
    Which one do you like better? That's part of the dialog too. My last lesson was long enough ago that the guy did a side-by-side with my swing next to Skinny Tiger's (well before anyone realized his swing would result in blowing out major structural body parts). I asked him who else did he have on his video box, someone more my body type like maybe Ernie Els or Vijay Singh for a more realistic comparison. (even that was too generous by about <redacted> pounds.)

My biggest piece of advice is to go in with an open mind. You will be asked questions or given drills that may feel weird, counter-intuitive, and possibly even nonsensical. Work through it; you will be in a much better place afterward. When one of my golf buddies fall prey to the siren song of new technology and brags about their new $350 driver, I usually tell them all that will do is put them farther in the woods; they would have been better off spending it lessons, as I stripe my 2003 TaylorMade 250 Series down the middle and take their money at the end of the round.

Quote Originally Posted by Turk View Post
    Congratulations! I've had lessons off and on over the years, with positive results. I have some worries about your proposed approach; it sounds like you are walking in with some limiting preconceptions or assumptions.

Asking around for recommendations is great, but remember this is a one-on-one human interaction, which can be unpredictable. Even a pro with a great reputation might not be the best specific teacher for you (or me); the probability is probably very good, but it's no guarantee. Be prepared to see someone else if you aren't feeling the love after a few sessions.

You also seem to have your practice / drill plan all laid out. Seems to me that's a bit like going to the doctor knowing what prescription you want to get. Let the diagnosis happen first. It's possible the pro might ask you to work on something different than expected.

What kind of learner are you? Are you visual? Analytic? Or more "feel"? For example, there might be a couple different drills that fix a given flaw.
    Which one do you like better? That's part of the dialog too. My last lesson was long enough ago that the guy did a side-by-side with my swing next to Skinny Tiger's (well before anyone realized his swing would result in blowing out major structural body parts). I asked him who else did he have on his video box, someone more my body type like maybe Ernie Els or Vijay Singh for a more realistic comparison. (even that was too generous by about <redacted> pounds.)

My biggest piece of advice is to go in with an open mind. You will be asked questions or given drills that may feel weird, counter-intuitive, and possibly even nonsensical. Work through it; you will be in a much better place afterward. When one of my golf buddies fall prey to the siren song of new technology and brags about their new $350 driver, I usually tell them all that will do is put them farther in the woods; they would have been better off spending it lessons, as I stripe my 2003 TaylorMade 250 Series down the middle and take their money at the end of the round.
    Dude - you need a new driver! I love my 2002 975 jvs and maxfli revolution wound golf balls, but I would be hitting 2 extra clubs into greens if I used them today. Older irons and fairways still hold up (as do putters which are timeless), but you are leaving both distance and accuracy on the table with a 14 year old driver. Pick up a 2 season old version on eBay where you can get something for under $100 and make the game easier!

Rest of your advice was spot on, just needed to tweak you on the driver.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Dude - you need a new driver!
    Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting the 2017 Taylormade M1.

Seems like I should go ahead and get the 2017 instead of the cheaper 2016. Anybody have experience with the M1? Recommendations?
    ~rthomas

Dude - I didn't exactly say *when* all this was going on. I just hadn't been playing very much and did the driver upgrade about a year ago.

I made a nuisance of myself at the local Golf Galaxy most days after work for a couple of weeks and hit almost every driver in the store. I wound up with a Callaway X2 Hot driver and 3-metal out of the clearance rack for $250 and have been pleased with the improvement. There was absolutely zero difference with the new ones (some of the new ones were worse), except for a Ping something that I forget the version. I also upgraded to Cleveland irons a few years back, so my technology is reasonably current, even if my game is rusty.

I also bought a hybrid with some of the savings, but it was the wrong one - no different than my 5-metal. I do need to plug a distance gap between the 3 and the 5, but that's a relatively infrequent problem to face.

Quote Originally Posted by rthomas View Post
    Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting the 2017 Taylormade M1.

Seems like I should go ahead and get the 2017 instead of the cheaper 2016. Anybody have experience with the M1? Recommendations?
    When I was doing my shopping last year, I really wanted to stick with TaylorMade, but none of them worked for me, not even the M1. (of course, this was just based on a simulator in the store). I tried to read reviews but they all sound the same after a while, and I'm not a "decimals to three places" technical specs guy. I don't know any other way to buy clubs other than hitting as many different ones as I (and the sales staff) have patience for.

Spent some time last night watching some of his videos. His swing thoughts are definitely different than what I've read/been told in the past. I'm curious to try to apply some of what he is saying combined with looking at myself on video. Thanks for the reply.
    I'm convinced that he is correct in certain things, for sure. The first, and maybe the most important, is that the first move from the top of the backswing has to be moving the hands straight down, rather than pulling the handle of the club toward the ball. Too many teachers teach this incorrectly. Pulling the handle toward the ball, with the club getting behind, is a recipe for inconsistency.

Bobby Lopez has a drill called "the 2 o'clock drill" (look up the short video on YouTube) that enforces the same concept. The hands have to start straight down before the shoulders start to rotate. Jack Nicklaus used to say that he wanted to hit the ball before the buttons on his shirt got to the ball. That's the same concept expressed in different words.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.

A couple of "mental side" of golf suggestions for ya, too, even though you didn't ask for them.

1) Golfers who start off playing well inevitably think to themselves and/or say aloud "This won't continue." On the other hand, if they start poorly, they are convinced that they will continue playing poorly throughout the whole round. You can't have it both ways, right? Either past performance influences future performance or it doesn't. Turns out that each shot is independent. Just because you just hit a bad shot doesn't mean the next shot will be terrible, too; it might well be an incredibly awesome shot. Most casual golfers shoot themselves in the foot because they don't understand this, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. So always remember that the next shot could always be good.

2) When the average duffer hits a really great shot, he/she thinks or says aloud, "I can't hit that shot. I don't have that shot in my arsenal. I don't play golf like that." But the truth is, you CAN hit that shot, you DO have that shot in your arsenal, and you CAN play like that. If you did it once, it means it can be done, and can be done again. Just as in point number 1, most golfers doom themselves because of negative thoughts. So, when you do hit a great shot, rather than deny it, accept it. "I hit a great shot. I am capable of great shots." These kinds of thoughts allow the great shots to become more frequent.

3) If you can train yourself to do this, try getting excited by great shots, but not too upset about bad ones. Look at the bad shots as an opportunity to try saving a score from a difficult situation, or as a way to learn how to play better. By the time you hit the next shot, all negativity about the bad shot needs to be gone. Look at the NEXT shot always, and not the LAST one, or the one two or three holes ago.

4) Greens in regulation are really important. Studies show that most golfers score better if there are no flagsticks. That should tell you something. Aim for the center of the green. Let's say the pin is tucked way onto the left side of the green. If you aim at the center of the green and pull it a little, you are close to the hole. If you hit it straight you are on the green putting for birdie and likely getting a par. If you push it some, you are a long ways from the hole but either on the green, of off the green but with a lot of green to work with. Duffers short-side themselves way too often. Aim right AT that left-hand flagstick and pull it a little and you are off the green with a very difficult up and down because there's no green to work with. So, again, on approach shots, be thinking "get on the green in regulation." This USUALLY means a) aiming at the center of the green and b) taking one more club than you at first think is correct (most duffers miss greens short way more often than they miss them long).

5) Think your way around the course, planning holes from the green backward. Example: a par 5 hole that is 500 yards long and you hit driver maybe 230 and 3-wood maybe 210. You're not going to get to the green in two no matter what. If you hit driver/3-wood and nut them both, you are now sitting in the fairway 50-60 yards away, which just happens to be one of the hardest distances for most non-professionals to hit, because it's not a full-swing distance for most people. So, plinth hole backwards, attempting to get to a comfortable, full-swing distance for your approach. Let's say you have a gap wedge you like and your full swing sends it 110 yards. 500-110=390. Now play your first two shots to get 390 yards. Maybe play 3-wood off the tee (210 in this example) and then play 4-iron or 5-iron or whatever your 180 club is. Now you have a full gap wedge to the green and you can just point and shoot without having to try to finesse a difficult shot. Makes life a lot easier. This tip alone could easily save 2 strokes a round or even more.

6) Likewise, if you are a short-knocker like me, occasionally it will pay to play long par 4s as if they were par 5s, especially if the hole is narrow or has punishing rough or a lot of trees just off the fairway. Hitting a 5-iron off the tee, while counterintuitive, may be productive. Another 5-iron after that, then a wedge, and then you are on the green putting for par, two-putting for bogey, thus avoiding the double, triple, or quadruple bogey from ruining an otherwise solid round.

I should stop before I bore everybody to tears ("too late for that," I hear you saying). I have more but I'll save them for another time.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust