Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    As I stated, ask yourself what you think Duke needs in their next coach, not think about whom but what.

I liked John as a player and as an assistant but you have no idea of what his head coaching is like. Coach K LIKES everyone on his staff, otherwise they would not be there.

The question is, IMO, how much harder will it be to recruit for John, Jeff, or whomever compared to Coach K? For me, like night and day, not even a close comparison. Look at Jeff in Pittsburgh, has he recruited a top 30 recruit yet? And Pitt is not use to winning like Duke is so they will take some extra time with Jeff but in the 4 years he has to get to the top tier of the ACC or he could be gone.

It is much much easier to recruit for Coach K than 99% of the other NCAA coaches. And Duke fans want to win now, we expect it.
    Again, you make some good points, but with a flawed analogy IMO. The Pitt situation has absolutely no relevance and no comparative value. The four letters on the front of the two jerseys makes all the difference...

Really? in 2013-2014 the Celtics went 25-57 and in 2014-2015 they went 40-42. That is not disappointing and this year was? Really? LOL. Are the Red Sox tearing things up? I think this turned into a political thing.
    What do 2013 and 14 have to do with this? Several years is an eternity in the NBA. This was a horribly disappointing season in Boston, coming off of 2018 and adding a healthy Gordon H and Kyrie, and a year's experience to Tatum, to a team that surprised in 2018. Boston fully expected to represent the East and have a great shot at the title in 19.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The Celts were a huge disappointment this season, and I"m not sure I ever remember a Stevens team being that in college or pros.
    The reference to 2013-2014 and the 2014-2015 are in reference to this statement. I have to believe those years under Stevens were a more “Huge disappointment” than a year when they made the playoffs. Now if you want to say it was more disappointing than the previous season then you need to say that. But the reference was to all his college and NBA years.

And for someone to reduce Duke’s recruiting success to the 4 letters on the front of jersey as the reason for their success really is selling Coach K short. Wow is all I can say to that. IMO Coach K is way more of a selling point than the letters but Duke does help, just not nearly as powerful as Coach K.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Rupp: Joe B. Hall
    Wooden: Gene Bartow
    Phogg (head coach at Kansas for 50 years total): Dick Harp.
    And for the successes there have been unsuccesses like Gut and Doh at UNC and who replaced Bobbie Knight? Gut did good until all Dean’s talent was gone and Indiana has not seen any success. And those 2 stories are way more recent than Rupp, Wooden and Phogg. And Roy is a success but he was a good success before he came to UNC.

As much as we hate to say it, Williams is a hell of a coach and recruiter. I'll take a clone of either Coach K or Coach Williams. Preferably Coach K.

And for someone to reduce Duke’s recruiting success to the 4 letters on the front of jersey as the reason for their success really is selling Coach K short. Wow is all I can say to that. .
    Reading comprehension much? I never said that about K... I was talking about YOUR Capel Pitt example...I was not talking about K at all...not about K at all....not about K at all...I was talking about your narrow Pitt and Capel analogy, which is not at all valid comparison to Capel at Duke potentially.

Quote Originally Posted by 53n206 View Post
    As much as we hate to say it, Williams is a hell of a coach and recruiter. I'll take a clone of either Coach K or Coach Williams. Preferably Coach K.
    I would like Duke to stick with some ethics and a clone of the former rather than the latter.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    The four letters on the front of the two jerseys makes all the difference...
    No you did not say anything about Coach K but you did make the statement about the 4 letters.

I certainly can tell not all people on this site got a Duke degree, or even close to it.

No you did not say anything about Coach K but you did make the statement about the 4 letters.

I certainly can tell not all people on this site got a Duke degree, or even close to it.
    Oooohh! Low blow!!

Kindly,
    Sage
    'IMHO (where the H lost got on the way to the 1964 regional finals), brandishing Duke degrees on this welcoming site is a no-no'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    This is a tired topic, and the discussion is not offering anything new or of value. Furthermore, some of the posts here are infraction-worthy. This thread is closed.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”