Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I’m holding out for Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m holding out for Doh!
    Do you really think they’re going to offer you much more money? 😀
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Do you really think they’re going to offer you much more money? 😀
    I’m worth every dime they pay me now.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I’m worth every dime they pay me now.
    I assume you get royalties when the coaching staff takes the advice you give here on DBR?
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I assume you get royalties when the coaching staff takes the advice you give here on DBR?
    Sure, let’s go with that.

You all realize Coach K was not a Dukie before he came to Duke right?

Just which Duke blood coach can come in here a repeat what Coach K is doing? How many years of not playing more than a game or 2 in the tourney before you all get upset?

No body on this sight will sit still for year in and year out of 1-1 or 0-1 in the tourney. Billy is Coach K the second. He ran a good college program, not a single year of questionable recruiting and he won. I laugh at how you all
    laughed at UNC when Dean left and they struggled. That is what Duke is in for and they don’t have a Roy (can’t stand him) to step in correct the ship. He won at Kansas and went deep into the tourney. Duke does not have that.

If Duke is going to keep up with what Coach K is doing it would take someone like Billy. Brad Stevens isn’t leaving Boston any time soon and is not a Dukie but has been mentioned here before as a replacement for Coach. I’ll bet anyone Coach K would be happy with Billy.

I don't think it needs to be a former Duke player/coach. It just also doesn't need to be Billy Donovan.

the head coach of Duke will be Jon Scheyer .. his stock is raising.

Donovan will be the HC of Texas.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    Word is he is looking to get out of OKC and college is a very viable option.
    A segment of Michigan fans will now be frustrated that this development happened after Beilein’s departure... Donovan was one of the “big fish” certain segments of the fan base were hoping for. I think Howard will work out long term but Donovan certainly would’ve been a splashier hire.

Billy Donovan!
    Well- Kevin White could fire K - hire Mike White from Florida and Billy could go back. That seems more likely.

You all realize Coach K was not a Dukie before he came to Duke right?

Just which Duke blood coach can come in here a repeat what Coach K is doing? How many years of not playing more than a game or 2 in the tourney before you all get upset?

No body on this sight will sit still for year in and year out of 1-1 or 0-1 in the tourney. Billy is Coach K the second. He ran a good college program, not a single year of questionable recruiting and he won. I laugh at how you all
    laughed at UNC when Dean left and they struggled. That is what Duke is in for and they don’t have a Roy (can’t stand him) to step in correct the ship. He won at Kansas and went deep into the tourney. Duke does not have that.

If Duke is going to keep up with what Coach K is doing it would take someone like Billy. Brad Stevens isn’t leaving Boston any time soon and is not a Dukie but has been mentioned here before as a replacement for Coach. I’ll bet anyone Coach K would be happy with Billy.
    You make some interesting points, but I have a few quibbles. First, the fact that K wasn't a Dukie before he came here is not relevant. There was no long Duke coaching tree, nor nearly the tradition, nor the "brotherhood," nor any of the other factors that make hiring a Duke bloodline coach perhaps more of a priority now. So that point falls a tad flat.

That said, while I lean towards a Duke coaching tree guy, I would also really like Stevens - and I know K has tremendous respect for Stevens - or it certainly seems that way. So, a year ago, I'd have thought Stevens was an NBA lifer. Now not so sure. I also think Quinn Snyder might be the smartest coach on the planet at the moment, but of course there is the baggage, and he may also now be an NBA guy, period. I think the key is, will these one time college guys like the "new" NBA, which is simply star player dominated to a point never seen before, particularly on roster building...meanwhile college is more coaching dominated than ever with 1,2 and done and so on.

As for Donovan, I could live with that...if I felt like he would become a Duke guy and shed his Gator and Providence thing a bit.

Then again, I too get the feeling that Scheyer's stock is on the rise...a point another poster also made.

I'm predicting Coach K v2.0. Surely, somewhere in a lab in a hidden corner of campus, someone is working on cloning the current Coach K.

Possibility #2, with the various replacements he has had (knees, hip), they are working on turning him into RoboCoach and he will coach forever.

Previous thread for reference:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport...tirement-plans

I did not read the article but the OP noted Coach K’s feeling that he’d like the eventual successor to have played and coached at Duke...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I think people need to keep in mind that most good talkers can sell a good product. Duke is an excellent sell as long as it is selling Coach K.

Capel did nice at Oklahoma but did great at Duke. The product he sold was Coach K and the brotherhood. John’s star might be rising but if he got the chance say in 3 or 4 years could you sell him like Coach K? White is not going to get fired from Florida because he is doing good there now, getting better every year. But has he won more than a game in the big dance yet?

You need to ask yourself what type of coach do you want, from top to bottom? Duke should want a proven winner at the college level, someone who runs a clean program and has a good track record of recruiting talent to his program.

Don’t think about anyone one person when to think about who should be the next coach just think about the qualities they need.

Donovan was not a Gator when he took over at Florida but look at what he did there, and that is a football school. He is a proven winner, they were able to sell him to recruits (only coach to win back to back titles like someone we know), and had no issues with recruiting.

You better be ready because if they don’t select the right person Duke will always be known for Coach K. There are very, very few guys who can get over that. And if they don’t do it right it will be years and years before they get over Coach K, maybe not in your life time.

After Coach K retires I will more than likely stop following college basketball, very few will have the chance to repeat what Coach K has done and very few will be a quality guy like coach. There are only 1 in 500 who will come close so they need to get it right.

Yes Stevens is a quality guy but he is not close to leaving the NBA. He is years away from leaving Boston and after he is gone from there they will line up to get him to coach another NBA team, he is now an NBA lifer.

I’d roll my dice with Coach Jon Scheyer with Coach Nolan as a lead recruiter. Let Zion or Kyrie or Jayson make a few we’ll timed calls in the early years to help sell the brotherhood. Battier can join the staff if he’s interested in getting into coaching. We don’t need Billy Donovan.

Yes Stevens is a quality guy but he is not close to leaving the NBA. He is years away from leaving Boston and after he is gone from there they will line up to get him to coach another NBA team, he is now an NBA lifer.
    You may be right, but I'm wondering when you had that conversation with him....was it before or after Kyrie split the team?

White is a very cautious guy, and politically astute. I bet he lets K make the pick. No better way to avoid criticism (though it's possible White will be gone before K).

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    White is a very cautious guy, and politically astute. I bet he lets K make the pick. No better way to avoid criticism (though it's possible White will be gone before K).
    I don't know why any coach should be allowed to pick his successor. An aging Coach K should have some input but I disagree with the notion that K, or Roy for that matter, are the best judges of who should replace them.

Pitino is available. If we can get him back from Greece, of course.

Anyone talk to him lately?

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    I don't know why any coach should be allowed to pick his successor. An aging Coach K should have some input but I disagree with the notion that K, or Roy for that matter, are the best judges of who should replace them.
    Well, Dean smith and John Thompson, Jr. managed to screw it up. Both quit during the season, leaving their schools no choice except to promote a long-time assistant, who didn't really measure up to the job. Yeah, I know, Guthridge made two Final Fours in three years, but he failed miserably at recruiting.

Duke should have a proper "nationwide search." Actually, Duke says that about nearly every vacancy in a major position at the University. Generals don't handpick their own successors, and neither should K. It is totally appropriate, nevertheless, that he be consulted during the selection process because everyone in the entire world will ask him his opinion after a successor is named.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013