Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Measurements are out for the 2019-2020 team

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22727

Vernon is a big boi.

HTML Code:
    0	Wendell Moore	F	6-6	213	Fr.	Charlotte, N.C. (Cox Mill)
    1	Vernon Carey	C	6-10	270	Fr.	Southwest Ranches, Fla. (NSU University School)
    2	Cassius Stanley	G	6-6	193	Fr.	Los Angeles, Calif. (Sierra Canyon)
    3	Tre Jones	G	6-3	185	So.	Apple Valley, Minn. (Apple Valley)
    12	Javin DeLaurier	F	6-10	237	Sr.	Shipman, Va. (Saint Anne's-Belfield)
    13	Joey Baker	F	6-7	208	So.	Fayetteville, N.C. (Trinity Christian School)
    14	Jordan Goldwire	G	6-2	185	Jr.	Norcross, Ga. (Norcross)
    15	Alex O'Connell	G	6-6	190	Jr.	Roswell, Ga. (Milton)
    21	Matthew Hurt	F	6-9	214	Fr.	Rochester, Minn. (John Marshall)
    30	Michael Sav...	G	6-0	182	Fr.	Durham, N.C. (Durham Academy)
    41	Jack White	F	6-7	222	Sr.	Traralgon, Victoria, Australia (Australian Institute of Sport)
    45	Keenan Wort...	F	6-9	211	Fr.	Chapel Hill, N.C. (Blair Academy (N.J.))
    50	Justin Robinson	F	6-9	202	RSr.	San Antonio, Texas (San Antonio Christian Academy)
    51	Mike Buckmire	G	6-2	180	Jr.	Blue Bell, Pa. (Germantown Friends School)
    Last edited by proelitedota; 07-11-2019 at 01:59 AM.

always good to keep in mind that these are almost always self reported and may not reflect reality...as such, I'd shy away from calling them "measurements."

I like the length for defensive pressure on the perimeter.

Tre Jones and Goldwire are excellent defenders, and Moore and Stanley look to have the tools to become good defenders. Coach K should be able to utilize man-to-man effectively with this group.

Did not realize Stanley was that tall, I can see him, Moore, and Alex being interchangeable at the 2-3. The biggest question to me is still which two bigs start out of Hurt, Carey and Javin.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    always good to keep in mind that these are almost always self reported and may not reflect reality...as such, I'd shy away from calling them "measurements."
    Are you telling me that J-Rob DIDN'T shrink an inch since last season?

Quote Originally Posted by Lunchab1es View Post
    Are you telling me that J-Rob DIDN'T shrink an inch since last season?
    That's funny...yes, a perfect example...Zion's weight (robust as it was) wasn't 285 as the roster said either, not that it matters much...J-Rob definitely bucking the trend to add the odd inch or two...
    Stanley and Moore both either grew an inch or didn't...

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Did not realize Stanley was that tall, I can see him, Moore, and Alex being interchangeable at the 2-3. The biggest question to me is still which two bigs start out of Hurt, Carey and Javin.
    I stood next to Stanley this summer a couple of times on campus. There's no chance he is 6'6. I'm 6 1 1/2 - 6'2 without shoes. He's about an inch taller than me. It's possible he's two inches taller, but I'd be surprised. I'd guess he's 6'3- 6 3 1/2 and they are "measuring" shoes on height, so maybe he could claim 6'5 at the most, but probably 6'4 in reality. Also, Wendell Moore is a couple inches taller than Stanley and I suspect a legit 6'6 with shoes on.

With the departures of Bolden and Vrankovic, we’re suddenly a bit thin on the interior. If either Vernon or Javin misses time, Jack white may be forced to play some center. I was not a fan that last season ...

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    With the departures of Bolden and Vrankovic, we’re suddenly a bit thin on the interior. If either Vernon or Javin misses time, Jack white may be forced to play some center. I was not a fan that last season ...
    I remember Jack being more than serviceable at the center position. He is an excellent rebounder and shot blocker.

Quote Originally Posted by Trooper View Post
    I stood next to Stanley this summer a couple of times on campus. There's no chance he is 6'6. I'm 6 1 1/2 - 6'2 without shoes. He's about an inch taller than me. It's possible he's two inches taller, but I'd be surprised. I'd guess he's 6'3- 6 3 1/2 and they are "measuring" shoes on height, so maybe he could claim 6'5 at the most, but probably 6'4 in reality. Also, Wendell Moore is a couple inches taller than Stanley and I suspect a legit 6'6 with shoes on.
    According to NBADraft.net, Stanley measured 6'3.5 without shoes, 6'5.5 with shoes, 170 lbs, with a 6'6 wingspan and 8'3 standing reach at the 2014 USA Junior National Team Mini Camp (if my math's right, that's 5 years ago, so he might've grown). So everyone may be right.

Fwiw, the with/without shoes thing strikes me as a bit ridiculous. I know that they play with shoes, so that that's their effective height, but no one aside from basketball players adds a couple of inches that way (aside from guys on dating sites, quarterbacks, long tall Texans...okay, I guess a lot of people add an inch or two).
    Last edited by johnb; 07-11-2019 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by proelitedota View Post
    http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.db...45&SPSID=22727

Vernon is a big boi.

HTML Code:
    0	Wendell Moore	F	6-6	213	Fr.	Charlotte, N.C. (Cox Mill)
    1	Vernon Carey	C	6-10	270	Fr.	Southwest Ranches, Fla. (NSU University School)
    2	Cassius Stanley	G	6-6	193	Fr.	Los Angeles, Calif. (Sierra Canyon)
    3	Tre Jones	G	6-3	185	So.	Apple Valley, Minn. (Apple Valley)
    12	Javin DeLaurier	F	6-10	237	Sr.	Shipman, Va. (Saint Anne's-Belfield)
    13	Joey Baker	F	6-7	208	So.	Fayetteville, N.C. (Trinity Christian School)
    14	Jordan Goldwire	G	6-2	185	Jr.	Norcross, Ga. (Norcross)
    15	Alex O'Connell	G	6-6	190	Jr.	Roswell, Ga. (Milton)
    21	Matthew Hurt	F	6-9	214	Fr.	Rochester, Minn. (John Marshall)
    30	Michael Sav...	G	6-0	182	Fr.	Durham, N.C. (Durham Academy)
    41	Jack White	F	6-7	222	Sr.	Traralgon, Victoria, Australia (Australian Institute of Sport)
    45	Keenan Wort...	F	6-9	211	Fr.	Chapel Hill, N.C. (Blair Academy (N.J.))
    50	Justin Robinson	F	6-9	202	RSr.	San Antonio, Texas (San Antonio Christian Academy)
    51	Mike Buckmire	G	6-2	180	Jr.	Blue Bell, Pa. (Germantown Friends School)

Interesting that Javin and Jack are the only others over 220, and Jack just barely.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Interesting that Javin and Jack are the only others over 220, and Jack just barely.
    Check out Vernon Carey.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Check out Vernon Carey.
    Indeed. That’s who I was referring to when I said that Javin and Jack were the only others over 220.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    If either Vernon or Javin misses time, Jack white may be forced to play some center. I was not a fan that last season ...
    I don’t remember Jack ever playing center for us last season. But yeah, we don’t have a Vrank type of insurance policy this season if one of our bigs goes down or runs into foul trouble (which is likely to happen, to be honest). And obviously missing Tre for any amount of time would be disastrous. At the 2-4 spots we have good depth though and should be able to withstand an injury should it happen.

Keenan if he puts on some weight and strength looks to be capable of playing backup backup center in a few years time.

I expect the center depth to go like this:

Vernon, Javin, Jack, Matthew, Joey, JRob, Keenan.

They take the measurements with shoes ON so subtract about 1.5 inches from each listed height.

Stanley is 6'5.5 in shoes which means he's likely 6'4 or even 6'3.5.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I don’t remember Jack ever playing center for us last season. But yeah, we don’t have a Vrank type of insurance policy this season if one of our bigs goes down or runs into foul trouble (which is likely to happen, to be honest). And obviously missing Tre for any amount of time would be disastrous. At the 2-4 spots we have good depth though and should be able to withstand an injury should it happen.
    Jack did play some 5 last season, most notably in the regular-season finale at Carolina. Williamson was out and Bolden injured a knee early in the game. This left DeLaurier and Vrankovic. Curiously--given out it played out in Charlotte a week later--K elected to keep Vrankovic on the bench and played White at the 5 whenever DeLaurier was on the bench. He defended decently, grabbed some rebounds, could not finish inside.

At 6-7, 220 White is hardly the ideal option at the 5. But I strongly suspect that K would play him there in a competitive game before he would play Robinson.

This thread has gone this far without a single mention of cinderblocks? Where am I, and what has happened to the DBR I knew and loved??
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Well, if they came and weighed me...
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Jack did play some 5 last season, most notably in the regular-season finale at Carolina...

At 6-7, 220 White is hardly the ideal option at the 5. But I strongly suspect that K would play him there in a competitive game before he would play Robinson.
    Agree that White should see some time at the 5 given our (relative) lack of depth at the position. I’m also intrigued by the idea of Hurt at the 5. We all know he needs to add weight/strength but against certain teams his scoring could force our opponent to have to match up against us.