Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado

    Monterey California and surrounding area

    My best friend's daughter is getting married in Monterey at the end of August. My wife and I are heading out for about four days.

    I have not been to Monterey or Carmel since my Ford Ord days, early 1973. I've been to San Francisco and Palo Alto about 15 times in the last 25 years on business, my wife has not been to Palo Alto and has been to S.F. twice with me. I'd like to show my wife the Stanford campus and eat lunch in Palo Alto. ( I'm an attorney, some of my greatest expert witnesses have been from Stanford Medical School or the Hoover Institute, even saw Condaleeza Rice there once).

    Any recommendations on Monterey/Carmel restaurants or activities? My aging buddy and I may try to rent wet suits and surfboards if conditions permit, that's probably our most strenuous activity.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. #2
    Dametra Cafe in Carmel. I thought the food was solid (it does have a pretty good review from Michelin), but it was the surprising live entertainment that set it apart and made it memorable to me. Need reservations.

    Also recommend doing 17 Mile drive between Monterrey and Carmel (Pebble Beach, etc.). Very scenic.

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    My best friend's daughter is getting married in Monterey at the end of August. My wife and I are heading out for about four days.

    I have not been to Monterey or Carmel since my Ford Ord days, early 1973. I've been to San Francisco and Palo Alto about 15 times in the last 25 years on business, my wife has not been to Palo Alto and has been to S.F. twice with me. I'd like to show my wife the Stanford campus and eat lunch in Palo Alto. ( I'm an attorney, some of my greatest expert witnesses have been from Stanford Medical School or the Hoover Institute, even saw Condaleeza Rice there once).

    Any recommendations on Monterey/Carmel restaurants or activities? My aging buddy and I may try to rent wet suits and surfboards if conditions permit, that's probably our most strenuous activity.

    Thanks in advance.
    Well, if you're going to Monterey, be on the look out for Meryl Streep creeping around after her deceased son!

    I always enjoyed the Rodin sculptures on the Stanford campus. IIRC, the university hosts tours that you and your wife may enjoy. Big Sur, the Bixby Creek Bridge, etc are all about an hour south of Monterey and pretty stunning.

    Enjoy!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Ha, Meryl is just (once again) amazing in that role. Personally I put in a big vote for the majesty of Big Sur...stumbling around Carmel (which is lovely) with a zombie pack of tourists is a bet less enthralling, but good restaurants abound.
    Depends upon what you like I guess...

  5. #5
    Off topic, but I used to live a bit further south on the Golden Coast and everything there is stunning and beautiful. Take as much time as you can and enjoy beaches, wineries, and wildlife.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Off topic, but I used to live a bit further south on the Golden Coast and everything there is stunning and beautiful. Take as much time as you can and enjoy beaches, wineries, and wildlife.
    At several stays at the historic and ultra rustic Deetjen's Big Sur Inn, we had to repel multiple raccoon attempts to join us in our room. Incredible region.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Forget restaurants. Play a round of golf at Pebble Beach.
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    ...My aging buddy and I may try to rent wet suits and surfboards if conditions permit, that's probably our most strenuous activity...
    Sweet! I'll try that on our next trip, renting the gear and then sitting around, gazing at the curl, looking like I just emerged from the waves, surfer gal style. Although, I think getting into and out of the wetsuit might be effort enough.

    Have a blast!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Winston-Salem
    Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Forget restaurants. Play a round of golf at Pebble Beach.
    Or Spyglass. Or Pasatiempo. Or Spanish Bay. Or ...

    I really, *really* need to pay a visit to that area. 😔
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

  10. #10
    I live in the Monterey/Salinas DMA so I am subjected to the Monterey focused TV stations. However, it takes me just under an hour to get down there to the Monterey boat ramp when we go fishing out in front of Big Sur. Cod season is open through the end of Dec. and the water is usually calmer in August so it's a good time to go. Salmon closes August 28th. I'm not much of an expert on Monterey outside of fishing, but can help you out if you want to know anything about the Santa Cruz area.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    ^ how often do you see Banana Slugs? Might cod like them?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Or Spyglass. Or Pasatiempo. Or Spanish Bay. Or ...

    I really, *really* need to pay a visit to that area. 😔
    Yep. Not to mention Monterey Peninsula (rightfully lauded) and Poppy Hills (an oft overlooked gem). Or the two courses that used to belong to the U.S. Army, Blackhorse and Bayonet. Bayonet is not for the faint. One of the hardest golf courses I've ever played.
    A plane takes off from Baltimore and touches down on Bourbon Street

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ^ how often do you see Banana Slugs? Might cod like them?
    Banana slugs are quite common here, though my daughter lamented she did not find one on her hike Wednesday with her out of town friends.
    Cod would probably eat them but they are not picky eaters. The main method for them around here involves some fake feathers and tinsel attached to a hook.


  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Colorado
    Thanks all. Good recommendations from everyone.

    With regard to the golf, it's a little like asking a fish to ride a bicycle. Golf and I have agree to disagree.

    I played my first, and possibly only, round of the summer last week at the Rio Grande Club in South Fork, Colorado. It's a very nice and somewhat difficult course. I stopped keeping score on the 4th hole. I think my score would have exceeded 125. I simply stink at golf.

  15. #15
    Keep driving south to Big Sur, stopping at Bixby Bridge along the way. It just keeps getting more and more beautiful. The Post Ranch Inn, along with a place in Positano, has the most spectacular views of anyplace Iíve ever stayed.

    Rent a bike and ride around 17-mile road.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    My best friend's daughter is getting married in Monterey at the end of August. My wife and I are heading out for about four days.

    I have not been to Monterey or Carmel since my Ford Ord days, early 1973. I've been to San Francisco and Palo Alto about 15 times in the last 25 years on business, my wife has not been to Palo Alto and has been to S.F. twice with me. I'd like to show my wife the Stanford campus and eat lunch in Palo Alto. ( I'm an attorney, some of my greatest expert witnesses have been from Stanford Medical School or the Hoover Institute, even saw Condaleeza Rice there once).

    Any recommendations on Monterey/Carmel restaurants or activities? My aging buddy and I may try to rent wet suits and surfboards if conditions permit, that's probably our most strenuous activity.

    Thanks in advance.
    Your chances of finding any New Glarus beers () in the area are likely very limited as their slogan is: "Only in Wisconsin." However, this brewery also has a great reputation and their distribution area (last time I checked was several years ago) is the West Coast, Colorado and a Belgian beer bar/restaurant in Philadelphia.

    https://russianriverbrewing.com/?age...ied=e975ebfec2

    I'd highly recommend seeking out a few of their creations.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Getting in a sit on top kayak and paddling up Elkhorn Slough just north of Monterrey is a lot of fun. A ton of sea otters, harbor seals and sea lions. A little off the beaten track and dress warm, but itís fun every time we do it.

  18. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    Keep driving south to Big Sur, stopping at Bixby Bridge along the way. It just keeps getting more and more beautiful. The Post Ranch Inn, along with a place in Positano, has the most spectacular views of anyplace Iíve ever stayed.

    Rent a bike and ride around 17-mile road.
    Keep going even further and go to Ragged Point where me and Mrs Devil spent our first married nights. Also, check out the Elephant Seal rookery down that direction.
    Repartee is something we think of twenty-four hours too late.

    - Twain

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Keep going even further and go to Ragged Point where me and Mrs Devil spent our first married nights. Also, check out the Elephant Seal rookery down that direction.
    The Wombles spent their honeymoon at Big Sur, nothing prettier than that Big Sur Ragged Point region...

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Your chances of finding any New Glarus beers () in the area are likely very limited as their slogan is: "Only in Wisconsin." However, this brewery also has a great reputation and their distribution area (last time I checked was several years ago) is the West Coast, Colorado and a Belgian beer bar/restaurant in Philadelphia.

    https://russianriverbrewing.com/?age...ied=e975ebfec2

    I'd highly recommend seeking out a few of their creations.
    Russian River refuses to send their kegs south of Santa Clara county. It's a big deal around here to find a bar that has a Pliny the Elder keg. Sadly, you can't get it in Santa Cruz or Monterey county. We have no shortage of breweries around here however. There's even a retired school bus from Charlotte NC that made it's way out here and was converted into the Brew Cruz.

Similar Threads

  1. Travel Advice_Toulouse, France and Surrounding Area_October
    By left_hook_lacey in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-21-2018, 04:47 PM
  2. Alabama and surrounding states tornado outbreak
    By DUKIECB in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2011, 08:55 PM
  3. California Dukies!
    By huied in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 11-06-2010, 04:33 PM
  4. California Sunset
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-08-2009, 11:13 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •