Page 1 of 204 1231151101 ... LastLast

2019 Men's Basketball Recruiting

Well, we have some experience in grabbing a guy who made an early verbal commitment to UCLA, though we may not want to repeat it.

Taylor King announced a commitment to UCLA when he was in 8th Grade, but came to Duke, and then on to Villanova, and then kind of lost in a cloud of smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    Well, we have some experience in grabbing a guy who made an early verbal commitment to UCLA, though we may not want to repeat it.

Taylor King announced a commitment to UCLA when he was in 8th Grade, but came to Duke, and then on to Villanova, and then kind of lost in a cloud of smoke.
    I see what you did there

2019 Basketball Recruiting

Per Adam Zagoria tweet:

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...24632827564033

Duke has offered Matthew Hurt, of Rochester MN. 6' 9" Sophomore SF/PF

Also has offers from: UNC, KU, OSU, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon, Florida, and Xavier. +UCLA

Older brother is a Freshman at Minnesota.

I was perusing the ESPN rankings/database for 2019 and came across this:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...cherokee-parks

I assume that has to be the Chief's son.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. synellinden View Post
    I was perusing the ESPN rankings/database for 2019 and came across this:

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/ba...cherokee-parks

I assume that has to be the Chief's son.
    A 6'3" 160# Cherokee? That's a Little Big Man!

I suppose that it "has to be" the Chief's son. Tells you a lot about Sr's personality that he would continue the naming tradition that his "hippie" parents started with him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a legacy or two pop up on Duke's roster, but I'm really hoping to see Shelden's and Candace's sons!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Per Adam Zagoria tweet:

https://twitter.com/AdamZagoria/stat...24632827564033

Duke has offered Matthew Hurt, of Rochester MN. 6' 9" Sophomore SF/PF

Also has offers from: UNC, KU, OSU, Minnesota, Iowa, Wisconsin, Oregon, Florida, and Xavier. +UCLA

Older brother is a Freshman at Minnesota.
    I'd be surprised if he has a UNC offer just yet, despite what Zags says. Roy is usually painfully slow to offer and none of the other sites I follow show an offer to him yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    I'd be surprised if he has a UNC offer just yet, despite what Zags says. Roy is usually painfully slow to offer and none of the other sites I follow show an offer to him yet.
    Funny you say that--as soon as I read that list of offers and UNC popped up, I thought, "wow, when is the last time Roy offered a prospect like that before K." That may be oversimplifying things, but it certainly seems that, lately, you can bet on a Roy offer coming within a week of a K offer. Fair or not, that's been my impression over the past few recruiting periods.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    Funny you say that--as soon as I read that list of offers and UNC popped up, I thought, "wow, when is the last time Roy offered a prospect like that before K." That may be oversimplifying things, but it certainly seems that, lately, you can bet on a Roy offer coming within a week of a K offer. Fair or not, that's been my impression over the past few recruiting periods.
    Define few.

- Chillin

I suppose that it "has to be" the Chief's son. Tells you a lot about Sr's personality that he would continue the naming tradition that his "hippie" parents started with him.

I wouldn't mind seeing a legacy or two pop up on Duke's roster, but I'm really hoping to see Shelden's and Candace's sons!
    I looked at some tape of him playing and, well, it is possible he is not the son of our Cherokee Parks.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Cherokee Parks...the Bishop Gorman HS version:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtGF4EHL0Qw
    Bob Green

A 6'3" 160# Cherokee? That's a Little Big Man!

Well, I've done some research and it appears that Chief has a son named Race.

But I don't think the 2019 Cherokee Parks is his son. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_LxX8zCHv4

** I see Bob already posted this. But Chief does have a son who plays whose name is Race.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    I doubt a coach K, (or any other coach), offer has anything to do with how/who Roy recruits.

Roy has been watching this kid and UNC is definitely showing interest, but from what I read the kid plans to take his time on any decision and there's a long way to go, so there's really no rush to offer. He knows UNC's interested.

It's Roy's MO. He likes to take his time, show interest, and let the kids know it, tell them a UNC offer is special, that when you get one it means more than other schools.

He tells them, and I think he means it, that he likes to get to know them/family somewhat before he extends offers...beyond just because they have talent.

Even the obvious ones everybody knows you'd want, he is often late to offer. UNC fans love to complain about that tactic on these talented kids, but Roy does it how Roy does it.

I doubt a coach K, (or any other coach), offer has anything to do with how/who Roy recruits.

Roy has been watching this kid and UNC is definitely showing interest, but from what I read the kid plans to take his time on any decision and there's a long way to go, so there's really no rush to offer. He knows UNC's interested.

It's Roy's MO. He likes to take his time, show interest, and let the kids know it, tell them a UNC offer is special, that when you get one it means more than other schools.

He tells them, and I think he means it, that he likes to get to know them/family somewhat before he extends offers...beyond just because they have talent.

Even the obvious ones everybody knows you'd want, he is often late to offer. UNC fans love to complain about that tactic on these talented kids, but Roy does it how Roy does it.
    You forgot to indicate that the bolded portion is a quote, a statement of opinion, not fact.

Roy doesn't seem slow to me

I posted this linked story about Roy's recruiting back in February under the 2016 Recruiting thread.

"I understand that they have offered at least three sophs. and have a commitment from two. One of the two is a 4 star and the other is a 3 star at this point (at least by 247 Sports.) The other soph. that has not committed is also a 3 star. All three are from my area and this story mentions their names and schools: http://www.independenttribune.com/sp...cd9d7d418.html"

Just my opinion, but offering three sophomores, none of which are higher than a four star recruit, doesn't seem slow to me.

A long time ago!!

Years ago, I thought that an offer from UNC was special, but that has proved to be incorrect. Well, it could mean special if you count a phony education/degree. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by JTH View Post
    I posted this linked story about Roy's recruiting back in February under the 2016 Recruiting thread.

"I understand that they have offered at least three sophs. and have a commitment from two. One of the two is a 4 star and the other is a 3 star at this point (at least by 247 Sports.) The other soph. that has not committed is also a 3 star. All three are from my area and this story mentions their names and schools: http://www.independenttribune.com/sp...cd9d7d418.html"

Just my opinion, but offering three sophomores, none of which are higher than a four star recruit, doesn't seem slow to me.
    The only offer UNC has out now for '19 per my sources is wing Wendell Moore.

Roy is usually painfully slow
    We can all agree on this.

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    We can all agree on this.
    Maybe he needs to get some tips from Pitino.

Don't forget to tip your waitress ... I'll be here all week.
    Singler is IRON

I STILL GOT IT! -- Ryan Kelly, March 2, 2013

The only offer UNC has out now for '19 per my sources is wing Wendell Moore.
    That's all I'm hearing also. But it sure is early ! Maybe by then the NCAA suits will have acted on the Dump.