Page 9 of 76 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast
    Another loss to a "less talented" team. From what I can tell, Nebraska's top 3 players were ranked 38, 69, and 82 in high school. No other top 100 recruits.

Does not bode well for the ACC season.

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    It looked like Odom was cramping up and limping around before that last timeout and they wanted to check that out before Nebraska could take advantage of that although Nebraska was about to take a timeout themselves to advance it.
    But P asked Duke to foul instead of trying to play defense (which is the right move mind you), so there was no need to actually call a timeout, just get the quick foul and you can sub out Odom....if Nebraska doesn't call timeout themselves, which they were very likely to do!

Nebraska hilariously had all four timeouts available in the final two minutes. With Duke needing them to possibly advance the ball to save time, P had used all of them, the last on defense. And P would've used it earlier to negate one of our own buckets had the ref given her the call.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    LOL, There may be no dumber way to lose than a travel on the attempt at a game tying possession. And why the heck did P use her last timeout for...D if she was just going to foul instead of saving it to advance the ball?

Sigh.
    Well, you could attempt a bad shot too early in a tie game, giving the other team just enough time to hit a layup at the other end at the buzzer...

game management decisions

This has certainly never been McCallie's strong suit as a coach.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    First conference game, home against BC.

First time this season Mikayla Boykin was participating in the pre-game warmups. Hope that means she’s ready to play.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    First conference game, home against BC.

First time this season Mikayla Boykin was participating in the pre-game warmups. Hope that means she’s ready to play.
    Talk about a must win.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Mikayla is sitting on the “injuries” end of the bench with Jennifer and Jayda, so she’s probably not playing today. Still encourage she’s in warmups.

After a slow start, Duke leads 23-14 after one, BC even sloppier than we are with the ball and don’t seem to be able to shoot.

They did drive inside for a while, drawing fouls, but more ball pressure slowed that down. On the off service end, we realized we COULD drive, and are getting reasonably easy shots there.

Duke leads 40-34 at half. We can't rebound or hit free throws.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke leads 40-34 at half. We can't rebound or hit free throws.
    The zone hurts us on rebounds, and BC is pretty good; they get a lot of practice with all their missed shots.

They’re 12-15 from the line, we’re 4-8. Lot of questionable calls in my slightly biased view.

Faster paced third quarter, Duke extends the lead 62-49.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    They might be few and far between this season, but at least the ladies start their ACC journey with a win.
    I'm hopeful they can surprise us all.

PS...at least we aren't Pitt fans. Eeek.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    They might be few and far between this season, but at least the ladies start their ACC journey with a win.
    I'm hopeful they can surprise us all.

PS...at least we aren't Pitt fans. Eeek.
    Or they might not be few and far between. I can see as many as ten or eleven ACC wins. Clemson, Pitt, UVa, and Wake all look terrible. GaTech, VaTech, and the Cheats have run up gaudy non-conference records but mostly against teams outside the top 150. Of the good teams, State is the only one we play twice.

21-10 probably gets us in as an eight or nine seed.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Or they might not be few and far between. I can see as many as ten or eleven ACC wins. Clemson, Pitt, UVa, and Wake all look terrible. GaTech, VaTech, and the Cheats have run up gaudy non-conference records but mostly against teams outside the top 150. Of the good teams, State is the only one we play twice.

UVA is 4-5, but look at who they played. Blown out by UCONN, a three point loss to #13 Kentucky, a respectable loss to #11 UCLA, and a loss at unranked USC. I wouldn't say they look terrible at all; we'll find out very soon.
    Our next 4 ACC games are at Louisville, at UVA, home against VT and ND.
    If we come away with two victories in that stretch, I'll be happily surprised and feeling much more optimistic. Funny thing is that I feel better with our chances against the Irish than I do the other three.

Edit, oops I forgot Wake. We play them first, and that's gonna be a win. Like you said, they are not good.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

the ACC doesn't appear too strong... A return to the NCAAs is a reasonable goal for the program.

Winning each of those games, even if favored, is not a likely scenraio, though. Getting to 500 would be a good goal for this team, which essentially finished 6-10 last year. I also think the cheats are very good and have a pretty good shot to sweep us. ND being down benefits us, and we could certainly take a win off them.

So I'd be looking for 500 and a bid. Anything else is gravy.
    1200. DDMF.

Our upcoming schedule

@ #5 SC
    @ FGCU
    Wake
    @ #7 Louisville
    @ UVA
    VT
    ND

It's a good thing we have Wake in there, because the rest of that schedule is pretty tough. (FGCU isn't ranked, but they are only a couple votes away.)
    If we come away from that stretch with our record still over .500, that will be a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    the ACC doesn't appear too strong... A return to the NCAAs is a reasonable goal for the program.
    This is pathetic when you think about it.

We have the 2015 #9 recruit (5th-year graduate student), 2016 #9 recruit, and 2017 #14 recruit. That does not include Haley, who got votes for every preseason All-America team, which means she is a top 20 player (with 5th year experience as well). It also doesn't include Miela, who would have probably been a top 20 recruit if she had gone to a U.S. high school, or Mikayla who was the 2017 #21 recruit and will be available soon.

And we're just hoping the team can sneak into the NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This is pathetic when you think about it.

We have the 2015 #9 recruit (5th-year graduate student), 2016 #9 recruit, and 2017 #14 recruit. That does not include Haley, who got votes for every preseason All-America team, which means she is a top 20 player (with 5th year experience as well). It also doesn't include Miela, who would have probably been a top 20 recruit if she had gone to a U.S. high school, or Mikayla who was the 2017 #21 recruit and will be available soon.

And we're just hoping the team can sneak into the NCAAs.
    If it walks like a duck, quacks like a ducks, well you know the rest. GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    If it walks like a duck, quacks like a ducks, well you know the rest. GoDuke!
    Maybe she and Zac Roper can switch jobs....shake it up....both are stuck in the mud right now.

Per CollegeRpi.com, regarding projections for Duke’s season (as of December 10, 2019):

• Projected Record: 17-13 (10-8)
    • Projected RPI Rank: 32
    • Projected SOS Rank: 3

While the overall record would not be great, the RPI would be quite good and the SOS would be outstanding.