Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22627071727374 ... LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1506
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    12 years, 1966 to 1978.

And none of McCallie's teams have been as bad as some of Duke's during that interim, the 10-16 1974 season, for example.
    Still too soon. Amirite, Ozzie?

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

12 years, 1966 to 1978.

And none of McCallie's teams have been as bad as some of Duke's during that interim, the 10-16 1974 season, for example.
    Hey, Sumner! March 1966 to October 1977 SI hoops preview -- at least, that's my story!
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Hey, Sumner! March 1966 to October 1977 SI hoops preview -- at least, that's my story!
    12 seasons.

Was SI talking about Duke in the pre-season? I know they were in March.

12 seasons.

Yeah. that's my memory. That's why the quote was so memorable -- "once-prominent name" -- but hey, I can't even remember what I had for lunch today.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

What I know is during the Coach G year’s my daughter and I made the drive from Richmond several times a year to watch the women. It was a great father/daughter experience. She played and loved BBall. Now, not so much. Would love for whomever to create that environment again...for me and my daughter.

12 seasons.

Jim: I couldn't find the SI reference on Google. If you have Feinstein's Forever's Team, it may be quoted there. I gave my copy away years ago.

But here's the entry from the preseason issue the next season, 1978-1979, when Duke was ranked #1:

The surprising Blue Devils caught fire late last season under Coach Bill Foster, who put them back together after a recent history of failure and molded them into a team that has become this year's runaway choice for No. 1. In concept and technique, Foster's program has not been unlike the building and rebuilding efforts now coming to fruition at a lot of former have-nots. There's only one real difference—he has succeeded better than anyone else.

Duke finished in the wire services' Top 20 eight times during the 1960s as Coach Vic Bubas trotted out one All-America after another. But in 1969, Bubas, then 42, resigned to become a Duke vice-president, and his assistant, Bucky Waters, replaced him. Waters' strength was recruiting. Period. He didn't get along well with his players, and in the space of two years seven potential starters transferred to other schools. In September 1973 Waters resigned, and when fall practice began on Oct. 15, the athletic department still hadn't found a replacement.
    Does anyone know why I am posting this stuff in a DWBB thread?

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'Class of Mullins'
    Sage Grouse

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    12 years, 1966 to 1978.

The irony for me is that team cemented my love of Duke basketball because my parents hosted the team for dinner a few nights over the season. There aren't many memories in my head from being 5 years old, but watching Terry Chili dunk on my driveway hoop and duck to come in the door is literally as strong with me as the memory of watching Richard Nixon board his resignation helicopter.
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Does anyone know why I am posting this stuff in a DWBB thread?
    Makes it more fun.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Apples and Oranges

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    You're responding to something I didn't say (and frankly, wasn't even talking about). My post was not about Coach P (my only mentions of her were in statements like, "whether it happens under Coach P or someone else, I think Duke is one top notch recruiting class away from being a top 10 team again") and your post was only about her. Someone said, "Is Duke still a national name"? I said it depends on how short people's memories are, but if memories are longer than 3 years then probably yes.As far as your point goes, you seem to be suggesting one piece of data (missed tournaments) is the only thing that matters, which is obviously not true. If you make it three pieces (missed tourneys, Final Fours, and championships), I'd respond that you can still be a "national name" without those things, or if you can't then there probably aren't even ten "top ten" programs.Finally, I don't think the fact that UCLA hasn't missed the tournament since 2015 and Mississippi State hasn't missed since 2014 is particularly persuasive of your overall point (assuming you think those schools are "top ten programs"), unless your point is solely to equate "coach" with "program" (and if it is, I still disagree).
    I think "national name" and top PROGRAM are two completely different things.UCLA BBall is still a national name and gets Press nation-wide largely based on the incredible success of John Wooden.Is it a top program today? Not sure...I think we can define that in terms of making the tournament (vice not making the tournament which really isn't hard to do). What would the standard be?

Quote Originally Posted by Kfanarmy View Post
    I think "national name" and top PROGRAM are two completely different things.UCLA BBall is still a national name and gets Press nation-wide largely based on the incredible success of John Wooden.Is it a top program today? Not sure...I think we can define that in terms of making the tournament (vice not making the tournament which really isn't hard to do). What would the standard be?
    I think the value of being a "national name" is the school would be considered a desirable destination for coaches (when needed) and recruits. Then if they have the right coach and the coach attracts top talent, then the national name would re-join the ranks of the "top programs."

The Athletic article on Coach G

Great article today on The Athletic about Coach G and her desire to get back into coaching. Interesting to see a few people reply to the post suggesting she come home to Duke. Ob how I wish!! Haven't attended a women's game at Duke since she left. Still support the ladies but really lost interest with this new regime. Hoping for better days ahead and a change at the top.

Gorecki named to the USBWA 3rd team.

http://sportswriters.net/usbwa/news/...ica200323.html

Quote Originally Posted by JDukie View Post
    Great article today on The Athletic about Coach G and her desire to get back into coaching. Interesting to see a few people reply to the post suggesting she come home to Duke. Ob how I wish!! Haven't attended a women's game at Duke since she left. Still support the ladies but really lost interest with this new regime. Hoping for better days ahead and a change at the top.
    Personally I'd be all for bringing Coach G back if she's interested. Our Women's program was built and had it's greatest success with her leading it. She's also still young enough at only 57.

Quote Originally Posted by ehdg View Post
    Personally I'd be all for bringing Coach G back if she's interested. Our Women's program was built and had it's greatest success with her leading it. She's also still young enough at only 57.
    Honest question: Has a coach of a "top ten" program (men's or women's) ever left the school (other than for health reasons) and then come back?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Honest question: Has a coach of a "top ten" program (men's or women's) ever left the school (other than for health reasons) and then come back?
    Luigi P. Carnesecca.

Perhaps not “top ten” but a significant and successful basketball program before and after.

Absent some who left during WWII and returned (a different circumstance), there aren’t many at any level, in any sport.

Mack Brown? I know his last two teams were something like 10-2 and 11-1, but not sure if they were in the top 10.

Tara VanDerveer?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Tara VanDerveer?
    Good one, but I think she just took a one-year sabbatical to coach the Olympic team. I could be wrong about that, but if it was really a "sabbatical," then I'm not sure she technically left the school.

Bunch of guys who left for WW II and then returned. Those at top ten programs include:

Wallace Wade.

Also, Frank Leahy at Notre Dame.

Bernie Bierman at Minnesota, which won multiple national championships in the 1930's.
    Sage Grouse

How many were rehired after leaving for a better job, then failing?

College football

John Robinson, USC, came back and won a Cotton and a Rose Bowl but was not as successful the last five years as he was the first seven.