Page 7 of 76 FirstFirst ... 567891757 ... LastLast
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Ugh.
    24-21 HT score...on the losing side. That's not good.
    If Duke loses this game, the whole season is gonna be a wash.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    24-21 HT score...on the losing side. That's not good.
    If Duke loses this game, the whole season is gonna be a wash.
    A "wash" is too clean of a term.

The only positive I take away from that mess is that Kyra is moving really well. The season depends on her.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Whew, they woke up. But still...that was not an impressive win.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Duke-Northwestern tied at the half at 25. First quarter was 19-11 NW. we switched to man to man, and that messed up the Wildcats. After starting hot from 3, they ended the half 3-11.

Offensively, well...

Actually, I see signs of life from the frosh Baines and Claude, they seem to have a clue what to do, just haven’t executed fully. Jade Williams I believe is the high scorer with 6, but like the UNLV game isn’t really playing well. Miala’s missed a few open shots, and rushed a few others. leoanna’s shot’s off, too, but is getting some open looks.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    And then an 8-0 run by NW to start the second half, just like the first.

SOOOOOO Many Missed Layups this quarter. It is getting painful to watch.

Northwestern isn't playing particularly well, Duke just can't convert any of its looks - and a lot of them are pretty darn close.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

End 3: NW 54, Duke 29. A 29-4 point NW Quarter...just awful on both ends.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

That was an ugly quarter.

The story of the demise of a once respected and highly competitive program continues. Players lack basic fundamentals. Offensively woeful. Most players regress from their HS play. Athletics administration seem content with this state of affairs however and McCallie content with a 30 point win by her alma mater. So all good I suppose.

It's obviously way early in the season, but this is looking once again like another season with not much to pay attention to after March.
    Losing to a Big 10 team is one thing, but losing to an unranked Big 10 team at home by almost 20 is a huge fail.

Four point quarter

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    End 3: NW 54, Duke 29. A 29-4 point NW Quarter...just awful on both ends.
    Does anyone know if that is an all-time Duke record for the lowest number of points in a quarter?

If not, by definition it must be awfully close. Maybe Dean Smith coached a game back in 1979 when the entire WBB coaching staff fell ill.

Four point plays are impressive. Four point quarters, not so much.

Q: "How do you feel about your offense?"
    A: "Offensive!"

To quote the Bard, “Will it be ever thus?” Sure, until we get a new coach. Until that happens there will be no end to the downward drift. Duke once was averaging over 4,000 attendance and going to Final Fours. Now, our attendance is in the hundreds and we’re contenders for nothing. This is easily the biggest failing of the Kevin White era at Duke.

This was pretty bad. Think of a positive you would like to see for your athletic team; poise, focus, intensity, grit, toughness and it was lacking.

They need to hit the reboot button hard.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    This was pretty bad.
    You are generous. The second half was the worst half of basketball I have ever seen at Cameron, full stop. And it came after a nice defensive effort prompted a solid second-quarter comeback. We were primed to show we were the better team. Then we just mentally left the building. It was nothing short of devastating.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    To quote the Bard, “Will it be ever thus?” Sure, until we get a new coach. Until that happens there will be no end to the downward drift. Duke once was averaging over 4,000 attendance and going to Final Fours. Now, our attendance is in the hundreds and we’re contenders for nothing. This is easily the biggest failing of the Kevin White era at Duke.
    When my daughter played HS and AAU basketball Duke women were hot. I got tickets for most of the team and coaches to watch Duke v. UConn at Cameron. Duke was down but made a run and the place was loud and rocking. Alana was awesome. At one point the girls coaches looked at each other and had to shout over the crowd “this is what I came for.” I wonder if we’ll ever get back there.

Deja Kelly, 5-8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX), has announced her commitment to North Carolina, their fifth 2020 commit. Her other finalists were Duke, Minnesota, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. Ranked #17 in her class by espnW.

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status...36972581064704

Banghart at UNC

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Deja Kelly, 5-8 PG, Duncanville HS (TX), has announced her commitment to North Carolina, their fifth 2020 commit. Her other finalists were Duke, Minnesota, Notre Dame, and Texas A&M. Ranked #17 in her class by espnW.

This is no surprise. Banghart had been my dream to replace McCallie (if only). Bubba made a home run hire when he plucked her from Princeton.

2020 Recruiting

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post

About the only good thing that I can say about WBB recruiting for 2020 is that UNC is not cleaning up either. Right now they have the ESPN HoopGurlz 17, 50, and 90. Duke only has #37. (For 2019 Duke got 57, 61, and 65.)

As we know, the talent differential in WBB is such that you need players in the top 25 to be competitive, and it is kind of shocking that Duke and UNC have a total of one top recruit.

ND has 23, 25, 32, and 44, while Syracuse has 5, 11, and 91. Louisville has 8 and 18, and Georgia Tech has numbers with 31, 64, 66, and 74.

There is only one uncommitted player in the top 50 and four in the top 100, so unless players change their minds, there isn't a whole lot of available talent out there.

Unfortunately, this kind of recruiting suggests that things could get worse before they get better.

http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...s/_/class/2020