Page 45 of 76 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755 ... LastLast
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Solid effort, particularly at the defensive end where Duke held the cheats to 27.1 percent shooting and less than 0.86 PPP.

Play of the game was Boykin finding Gorecki for the three to end the third quarter.

In the fourth, the team made the plays that needed to be made to keep the Cheats at arms’ length.

Like Stray. i was ... umm ... puzzled by the officiating.

Take it and build on it.
    One of the three refs (I believe Larry, not Moe or Curly) didn't make a call in Duke's favor all game. And there were ones to call, for sure, especially looking at what they called on our team.

The big run at the start of the third quarter, where we adjusted to their D and just out hustled them (Yes, Coach P DOES make adjustments) was key. There was one play where we pushed it down the floor, Church turned her back because Kyra was behind her, and Haley got it to Leaonna to put up a shot right over her. They were just out of sorts, not just then but most of the game. That also quieted the relatively small group of fans they brought behind their basket (although no doubt the weather played a part in that.) I really only heard them once, after they cut the lead back to 8, and we called timeout. A short "defense" cheer stopped by a Haley 3 (IIRC.)

I do think this might be a "last gasp" for Coach P, but I like the way the team is playing right now.

Haley Gorecki dominates as Duke women's basketball takes down North Carolina
    Christian Olsen (The Chronicle)

While Gorecki undoubtedly led the Blue Devils, the credit does not belong to her alone. With four other players scoring at least nine points, two of which being Gorecki’s fellow guards Boykin and Kyra Lambert, this truly was a team victory.
    “I loved it,” Gorecki said. “I think playing with guards on the floor, we move faster. Obviously we have a ton of outlets, everybody can handle the ball. It’s fun, it’s fast. We find each other really well and we look for each other all the time.”

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...-haley-gorecki

'Enjoy her while you have her': Haley Gorecki torches North Carolina
    Joe Wang (The Chronicle)

“Haley just works very, very hard, and when you work very hard and you play hard, that automatically makes you a very good defender,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said on the progress of Gorecki’s defensive game. “I think Haley has been terrific off-ball, with steals and anticipation, and I think her on-ball defense has improved in terms of one-on-one stops. Just better, better, better.”
    On the offensive end, Gorecki is a certified bucket from anywhere on the floor. She hit four triples in just six attempts while taking care of her opportunities at the charity stripe in late minutes. But aside from her regular individual production, the real difference-maker of the night was her tremendous passing ability. North Carolina ranks third in the ACC in assists per game, but Gorecki had as many assists as all the Tar Heels combined Thursday.

'Enjoy her while you have her': Haley Gorecki torches North Carolina
    Joe Wang (The Chronicle)

“Haley just works very, very hard, and when you work very hard and you play hard, that automatically makes you a very good defender,” head coach Joanne P. McCallie said on the progress of Gorecki’s defensive game. “I think Haley has been terrific off-ball, with steals and anticipation, and I think her on-ball defense has improved in terms of one-on-one stops. Just better, better, better.”
    On the offensive end, Gorecki is a certified bucket from anywhere on the floor. She hit four triples in just six attempts while taking care of her opportunities at the charity stripe in late minutes. But aside from her regular individual production, the real difference-maker of the night was her tremendous passing ability. North Carolina ranks third in the ACC in assists per game, but Gorecki had as many assists as all the Tar Heels combined Thursday.

“Gorecki had herself a night,” North Carolina head coach Courtney Banghart said. “I recruited that kid out of high school, I knew how good she was... You guys should enjoy her while you have her. And if you want to trade her, we’ll take her, if you guys are willing to do that.”

Crowd?

How was the crowd?

NC State crowd looked good but it looked like a lot of red.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilsince72 View Post
    How was the crowd?

looked pretty good on TV. not a sellout or anything.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilsince72 View Post
    How was the crowd?

State brought a LOT more people that Carolina brought. But the State game was at 2 on a Sunday while the Carolina game was at 6 on a horrible weather weekday. I can't blame anyone for staying home last night. It was nasty.

Our women vs Miami

Who are these girls? Influenced by our guys?

Halftime in Miami, and Jade banks a half-court prayer to put the team up 43-29.

The team continues to play good defense, and the offense is moving the ball well, shooting 55%. Miami is without their best player (and pre-season POY choice) Beatrice Mompremier, who is missing her tenth game. I don’t think she would make this much of a difference.

Liking the half time score in Miami - 43 to 29 Duke.

Duke wins 74-55. Led 43-29 at the half.

19 point win. Really looked good.

74-55 final. Back and forth third quarter that ended in a draw, then Duke dominates the fourth. Strong game from MiKayla and Kyra. A bunch of run outs with Miami overplaying in-bounds passes.

And with VT beating the cheaters over in hell, Duke has moved into fourth, and the double-bye. Tough finish, with four road games (including the last three) but the team has surprisingly gotten back in the discussion for the NCAA tournament.

(Technically tied for fourth with VT, but we have the tie-breaker.)

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    74-55 final. Back and forth third quarter that ended in a draw, then Duke dominates the fourth. Strong game from MiKayla and Kyra. A bunch of run outs with Miami overplaying in-bounds passes.

And with VT beating the cheaters over in hell, Duke has moved into fourth, and the double-bye. Tough finish, with four road games (including the last three) but the team has surprisingly gotten back in the discussion for the NCAA tournament.

(Technically tied for fourth with VT, but we have the tie-breaker.)
    So...time for so P love? Well, certainly for the team. Great to see that Duke could actually get a double-bye for the tourney, which I suppose we'd all accept as a massive change of fortune since the USC evisceration to kick off a 5 game losing streak?

Duke is now 13-10, 7-5 in the ACC. Six games remaining.

at Pitt
    FSU home
    Virginia home
    at NCS
    at VPI
    at the Cheats
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Currently 36 in the RPI (i think the women's committee still uses RPI in determining the field) buoyed by a SOS of 4... Non-conference SOS of 2. Massey SOS of 8.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Duke is now 13-10, 7-5 in the ACC. Six games remaining.

at Pitt
    FSU home
    Virginia home
    at NCS
    at VPI
    at the Cheats
    Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Currently 36 in the RPI (i think the women's committee still uses RPI in determining the field) buoyed by a SOS of 4... Non-conference SOS of 2. Massey SOS of 8.
    Duke is in a two way tie for 4th place in the conference with VT. The three teams in front are each ranked.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Duke is in a two way tie for 4th place in the conference with VT. The three teams in front are each ranked.
    By the way, the reason we are tied for 4th is because the Heels (7-6) lost to VT (7-5) today, at home.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

My best guess is that Duke needs to go 4-2 down the stretch and win at least once in Greensboro to be absolutely confident of extending the season.

3-3 has Duke in the mix.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    My best guess is that Duke needs to go 4-2 down the stretch and win at least once in Greensboro to be absolutely confident of extending the season.

3-3 has Duke in the mix.
    I'll just add that, with the team playing the way they have been over the last five games or so, 3-3 definitely seems achievable. 4-2 is possible, but you have to regard both the home game against FSU and especially the away game at NCSU to be pretty unlikely, so that leaves not much margin for error. But I agree that there's definitely hope.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post

3-3 has Duke in the mix.
    If we go 3-3, at least one of those has to be against a ranked team. Only 2 chances left to make that happen.