Page 12 of 76 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    McCallie is making about $1.2 million a year.
    https://the-boneyard.com/threads/joa...-salary.92760/
    White gave her a big raise and extended her contract. If he fired her this year he’d have to pay the buyout and more importantly, admit he screwed up. Most AD’s aren’t gonna do that in a low profile, money losing sport.

Duke fans have to hope he doesn’t extend her again; the program is lifeless.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    White gave her a big raise and extended her contract. If he fired her this year he’d have to pay the buyout and more importantly, admit he screwed up. Most AD’s aren’t gonna do that in a low profile, money losing sport.

Duke fans have to hope he doesn’t extend her again; the program is lifeless.
    The Internets say her contract is good through next season, extended in 2017. We'll see.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    The Internets say her contract is good through next season, extended in 2017. We'll see.
    Given that, don’t we need to just suck up the buy-out and move on? How can she recruit and secure next year’s class and the class afterwards if she does not have an extension?

I have not been on the dump P train, but I think it left the station regardless. It would take a great finish to derail it.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Given that, don’t we need to just suck up the buy-out and move on? How can she recruit and secure next year’s class and the class afterwards if she does not have an extension?

I have not been on the dump P train, but I think it left the station regardless. It would take a great finish to derail it.
    The way White manages, I'm sure that balancing the budget is high on his list of priorities, so I fear/suspect we won't see a payout to make her go away, as much as she merits that. A serious brown feather in Kevin White's managerial chapeau.
    From a perennial top program to an embarrassment.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    And unfortunately it's very likely to get much worse next year.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The way White manages, I'm sure that balancing the budget is high on his list of priorities, so I fear/suspect we won't see a payout to make her go away, as much as she merits that. A serious brown feather in Kevin White's managerial chapeau.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    And unfortunately it's very likely to get much worse next year.
    And that’s the financial interest too.

Scenario one: suck up the buy-out, get someone new and hope to be up and rising in two or three years. Maybe respectable in say 2023.

Scenario two: go through a zombie year where the coach cannot recruit effectively for 2021 or 2022; get someone new and have her/him start in an even deeper hole and emptier cupboard than we will be in come April. Maybe respectable in 2025.

Both lose money. Which one loses more?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley

Scenario one: suck up the buy-out, get someone new and hope to be up and rising in two or three years. Maybe respectable in say 2023.

Scenario two: go through a zombie year where the coach cannot recruit effectively for 2021 or 2022; get someone new and have her/him start in an even deeper hole and emptier cupboard than we will be in come April. Maybe respectable in 2025.

One loses more fans, too. Not just loses them, but ticks them off.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Outrageous ambitions.

Since the decline of the McCallie lead Duke Team, I feel Kevin White should manage as a business decision if McCallie gets bought out or just wait until the contract expires. This is about the only sport at Duke that has an underachieving coach. Dan Brooks and K are at the top. Pollard Danowski are also outstanding. Robbie Church ,Pam Bustin, Kristen Kimel, and Marissa Young have success. Duke is competetive in Men's Golf,Women's Tennis, Men's Tennis. Dick Vitale's grandsons that are 6'6 twins are coming to Duke in tennis.Swimming has produced Olympians and since Track and Field had their new stadium built adjacent to Koskinen they are as good as the Al Buehler days. Cross Country has a lot of talent. Women's Basketball is possible to make money. South Carolina had over 11000 at their thrashing of Duke game. That recruit from Santa Clarita sounds good,but the top talent is still going to UCONN,Stanford, Notre Dame, Baylor,Oregon, Texas A&M. Sadly Duke is not getting the best. Haley Gorecki and Leah Odom might be WNBA talent, but the team currently underachieves.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Since the decline of the McCallie lead Duke Team, I feel Kevin White should manage as a business decision if McCallie gets bought out or just wait until the contract expires. This is about the only sport at Duke that has an underachieving coach. Dan Brooks and K are at the top. Pollard Danowski are also outstanding. Robbie Church ,Pam Bustin, Kristen Kimel, and Marissa Young have success. Duke is competetive in Men's Golf,Women's Tennis, Men's Tennis. Dick Vitale's grandsons that are 6'6 twins are coming to Duke in tennis.Swimming has produced Olympians and since Track and Field had their new stadium built adjacent to Koskinen they are as good as the Al Buehler days. Cross Country has a lot of talent. Women's Basketball is possible to make money. South Carolina had over 11000 at their thrashing of Duke game. That recruit from Santa Clarita sounds good,but the top talent is still going to UCONN,Stanford, Notre Dame, Baylor,Oregon, Texas A&M. Sadly Duke is not getting the best. Haley Gorecki and Leah Odom might be WNBA talent, but the team currently underachieves.
    Holy semolina!! Vitale has 6-6 twin grandsons who are star tennis players??? And they're coming to Duke? Why hasn't this been a board topic?
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

This is where I read about the Krug brothers.
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...diaper-dandies

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    This is where I read about the Krug brothers.
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...diaper-dandies
    Connor and Jake Krug in the recruiting class of 2021
    Sage Grouse

We also don’t know the terms of last year’s “extension.” Sometimes extensions are cosmetic for precisely the recruiting reasons that have been discussed, and they don’t really mean guaranteed money for the coach. It might be easier for Duke to dump her than we know.

Or it could have been a huge, Arrested Development-level mistake.
    Last edited by AustinDevil; 12-22-2019 at 09:10 AM. Reason: Typo

Mods: Is it possible to break this into two threads, one about this season's WBB team and another about what to do about the coach? I don't know about anybody else, but I'm very interested in the former and not at all interested in the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Mods: Is it possible to break this into two threads, one about this season's WBB team and another about what to do about the coach? I don't know about anybody else, but I'm very interested in the former and not at all interested in the latter.
    It’s a thread about the season. Perhaps, rather than express disinterest in what to do about the coach who is coaching this season and try to remove that topic from this thread, you could share an opinion? I’d love to read a defense. A “let’s just let the season play out before we talk about ‘what to do’ about her” view would be less interesting, at least to me, but still relevant.

You can always start individual game threads as well, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    It’s a thread about the season. Perhaps, rather than express disinterest in what to do about the coach who is coaching this season and try to remove that topic from this thread, you could share an opinion? I’d love to read a defense. A “let’s just let the season play out before we talk about ‘what to do’ about her” view would be less interesting, at least to me, but still relevant.

You can always start individual game threads as well, of course.
    Seconded.

I don’t think that is an unreasonable request, although a “should we fire Coach P” thread may not be the look we want. For better and worse, the two topics are intertwined somewhat.

We have a ten-day dead period which is following an absolute butt-whooping, so I think it is natural for the discussion to tend towards coaching. No game to watch or to discuss upcoming, and a sour taste in the mouth until then. My hope is that once games resume the discussion of them resumes.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    I don’t think that is an unreasonable request, although a “should we fire Coach P” thread may not be the look we want. For better and worse, the two topics are intertwined somewhat.

We have a ten-day dead period which is following an absolute butt-whooping, so I think it is natural for the discussion to tend towards coaching. No game to watch or to discuss upcoming, and a sour taste in the mouth until then. My hope is that once games resume the discussion of them resumes.
    Our next game is vs a good FGCU team, in Florida. Keep your fingers crossed.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

We have a ten-day dead period which is following an absolute butt-whooping, so I think it is natural for the discussion to tend towards coaching.
    I hear you, but we've had this discussion after pretty much every loss for the past 12 and a half years. This year more people want to be involved, that's all.

I hear you, but we've had this discussion after pretty much every loss for the past 12 and a half years. This year more people want to be involved, that's all.
    Again, fair comment.