Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast
    Come home, Lindsey. Your alma mater needs you.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    Come home, Lindsey. Your alma mater needs you.
    I hadn't thought about Lindsey before. She's obviously got the heritage, and she has broken barriers in the NBA. My big question would be over recruiting. Can't say that she wouldn't gain a young woman's attention. My top pick has always been Joy Cheek, because she's a proven recruiter with lots of college coaching experience.
    Of course in both there is a danger in bringing back a player we loved and seeing things not work out so well on the bench.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I hadn't thought about Lindsey before. She's obviously got the heritage, and she has broken barriers in the NBA. My big question would be over recruiting. Can't say that she wouldn't gain a young woman's attention. My top pick has always been Joy Cheek, because she's a proven recruiter with lots of college coaching experience.
    Of course in both there is a danger in bringing back a player we loved and seeing things not work out so well on the bench.
    Prime example to me - where I now teach - St. John’s and Chris Mullin.

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    If that doesn’t get Mr. White’s attention, one wonders what would.
    perhaps they can treat the symptoms by allowing alcohol sales at games
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Prime example to me - where I now teach - St. John’s and Chris Mullin.
    Sidney Lowe//NC State is another example.

Duke women's basketball suffers worst loss since 1992 against No. 5 South Carolina
    Bre Bradham (The Chronicle)

But instead of David taking down Goliath with a slung rock, Duke threw the rock away more times than the team put it through the hoop on the way to its second-worst offensive performance of the season.

The Gamecocks won 89-46 Thursday night, a massive 43-point margin of victory. The last time Duke lost by more than 40 points was also at the hands of Gamecock head coach Dawn Staley's team, back when she was a senior playing for Virginia in 1992.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...iela-goodchild

AD stop caring about women's bball a long time ago

Its obvious Kevin White stopped caring about women's hoops a while ago.

The mentions of Harding and Cheek coming back as the head coach are incredibly naive. Both would be great assistants, but they don't have the coaching experience to save Duke. This cant be a learning on the job type thing.

To save this sinking ship, Duke will need to hire a coach with head coaching experience at the D1 level. Michigan head coach, Kim Arico, has built up a great program and plays a fun, fast paced style. I would love Walz from Louisville but I doubt he leaves that program. Oregon head coach, Graves, has also done an amazing job. Lindsey Whalen has done a good job at Minn but only has a few years of coaching experience so that worries me. But there is another bball coach at Duke who has done quite well with only a few years of experience at Army before coaching at Duke.

But again, it all requires an AD that cares about a once proud women's basketball program. I don't have my hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This is pathetic when you think about it...And we're just hoping the team can sneak into the NCAAs.
    I agree, but that is where the program is. If you can set aside the lofty status the program held in 2007, it is much more acceptable: a top 50ish program, with the 2019 team coming off a 43 point loss to #5 South Carolina.If you look at the team historically, with kind of a wide angled view; I would say the success of Gail Goestenkors has almost been wiped clean. The team is just about back to where it was when she took over in 1992. The SC loss is the worst since that year and the year by year record is slipping back there.

No way to polish this one. This was bad, historically bad.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilsince72 View Post
    The mentions of Harding and Cheek coming back as the head coach are incredibly naive. Both would be great assistants, but they don't have the coaching experience to save Duke. This cant be a learning on the job type thing.
    Joy Cheek has been an assistant coach since 2011, with turns at Duke, Ohio and currently Clemson. It might not be at Duke, but she is going to be a head coach somewhere, and likely soon. She is a proven recruiter, one that Duke owes some of it's top classes to.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Bella Alarie Mark's daughter is in the newsstand issue of SLAM. Now a Senior at Princeton. I wonder if Auriemma's assistant Shea Ralph might be interested. From Joey Baker's hometown Fayetteville.
    https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/wome...shea-ralph/600

Another great UConn coach Chris Daily.
    https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/wome...ris-dailey/603
    Convince her to leave Auriemma's shadow.

Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    I dunno -- Geno had surgery in the last day or so to remedy a diverticulitis problem and is off the bench for an undetermined period. This is lower GI stuff and tends to be chronic. A little instability with UConn WBB.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Clemson's record

Joy Cheek has been an assistant coach since 2011, with turns at Duke, Ohio and currently Clemson. It might not be at Duke, but she is going to be a head coach somewhere, and likely soon. She is a proven recruiter, one that Duke owes some of it's top classes to.
    And what is Clemson's record? My guess is that Cheek saw the pitfalls of Coach P at the helm and intelligently made a quick departure. Going from asst to head coach is extremely difficult. Next Duke coach must have head coaching experience.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedevilsince72 View Post
    And what is Clemson's record? My guess is that Cheek saw the pitfalls of Coach P at the helm and intelligently made a quick departure. Going from asst to head coach is extremely difficult. Next Duke coach must have head coaching experience.
    Clemson sucks, but I've never seen an assistant take the blame for a team's failures in basketball.

Bella Alarie Mark's daughter is in the newsstand issue of SLAM. Now a Senior at Princeton. I wonder if Auriemma's assistant Shea Ralph might be interested. From Joey Baker's hometown Fayetteville.
    https://uconnhuskies.com/sports/wome...shea-ralph/600
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I dunno -- Geno had surgery in the last day or so to remedy a diverticulitis problem and is off the bench for an undetermined period. This is lower GI stuff and tends to be chronic. A little instability with UConn WBB.
    This kind of talk excites me. I have faith that this will be P's last season. (I was not always a detractor, btw, but the line was crossed a couple seasons ago.)
    I have no idea who our next coach will be, I only hope that they can bring some excitement and success back to the program. At this point, it feels like it will be the equivalent of Cut taking over at Duke his first season. A daunting challenge, nobody expected miracles, but we were all excited.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    This kind of talk excites me. I have faith that this will be P's last season. (I was not always a detractor, btw, but the line was crossed a couple seasons ago.)
    I have no idea who our next coach will be, I only hope that they can bring some excitement and success back to the program. At this point, it feels like it will be the equivalent of Cut taking over at Duke his first season. A daunting challenge, nobody expected miracles, but we were all excited.
    The program is nowhere near as bad as the football program. There’s talent; I’d expect Wes Moore would have this team in the top tier of the conference (maybe not with Louisville but close.)

she's 60 and in the women's bball hall of fame, and makes north of 300k, which isn't what duke is paying P, but likely on par for what a first-time head coach might get. I don't see her trying to go build a program at this point, and I'm not sure it would be the right move for duke, who even were she successful, would likely need to go looking for a new coach soon anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have her here at Duke, I just don't see it happening.
    April 1

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    she's 60 and in the women's bball hall of fame, and makes north of 300k, which isn't what duke is paying P, but likely on par for what a first-time head coach might get. I don't see her trying to go build a program at this point, and I'm not sure it would be the right move for duke, who even were she successful, would likely need to go looking for a new coach soon anyway.

Don't get me wrong, I'd be happy to have her here at Duke, I just don't see it happening.
    McCallie is making about $1.2 million a year.
    https://the-boneyard.com/threads/joa...-salary.92760/

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    The program is nowhere near as bad as the football program. There’s talent; I’d expect Wes Moore would have this team in the top tier of the conference (maybe not with Louisville but close.)
    Yet. But it's getting there. Comparing the two sports is apples and oranges due to the number of games played, but there are some things we can highlight.
    We used to be an opponent that teams would love to play, because it gave THEM exposure.
    No more.
    We used to be an opponent that elite teams wanted to play because it aided their SOS, win or lose.
    No more.
    We used to fill Cameron with very respectable crowds, both levels, even in lesser games. Had it to the rafters for the elite.
    No more.
    We used to take the NCAAs for granted.
    No more.
    We used to take having byes for the ACC tourney for granted.
    No more.

You say we are nowhere near as bad as how football was. I agree. But we are trending, and I don't want to get there. I don't want to see any Duke sports team get there. Kevin White needs to stop this leak now, unless he has an urge to see history repeat on his watch.

PS..yes we have talent, but we have little coming in. In women's basketball, "talent" levels are far apart. We have upper level talent leaving, and middle shelf coming in. That is not a good recipe for success.