Page 10 of 76 FirstFirst ... 891011122060 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Per CollegeRpi.com, regarding projections for Duke’s season (as of December 10, 2019):

• Projected Record: 17-13 (10-8)
    • Projected RPI Rank: 32
    • Projected SOS Rank: 3

While the overall record would not be great, the RPI would be quite good and the SOS would be outstanding.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2019_N...all_Tournament

If last year's field is any indication, the committee doesn't give many squats about RPI, with teams having the 50th 51st and 60th RPI getting bids.

The worst record to get in was the heels, at 18-14. three teams got in at 19-12.

The heels also had an 8-8 ACC record.

So the resume you suggested would put us squarely on the bubble, and I expect it would come down to who we beat. UNC's win over ND played large, I expect.

Either way, it seems finishing in the top half of the ACC is a must.
    April 1

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

If last year's field is any indication, the committee doesn't give many squats about RPI, with teams having the 50th 51st and 60th RPI getting bids.

The worst record to get in was the heels, at 18-14. three teams got in at 19-12.

So the resume you suggested would put us squarely on the bubble, and I expect it would come down to who we beat. UNC's win over ND played large, I expect.

I'd guess that a winning conference record moves us in, especially if we have at least a win or two in Greensboro.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Welcome to Duke, Vanessa De Jesus!!!

{Click on below for a cool little video}

Ok, so she already verbally committed to Duke in the Spring.

But just noting that she has now formally signed and, apparently, has moved up to an ESPN 5-star rating and a grade of 97? (I saw that someone elsewhere noted that at the time of her verbal signing in May, she was a 4-star there, with a grade of 91.)

Plus, she has a pretty awesome name that is also (for once, of late) not a variation on the name Jade!!!

https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/12/w...ng-period.aspx
    http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...er/_/id/237475

Anyways, glad for any possible positive news about the program, including/especially regarding recruiting.

So welcome (again), Vanessa!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    159!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (hexi-decimally, that is)

Go Duke!!!!!! Go Blue Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ikiru36 View Post
    {Click on below for a cool little video}

Ok, so she already verbally committed to Duke in the Spring.

But just noting that she has now formally signed and, apparently, has moved up to an ESPN 5-star rating and a grade of 97? (I saw that someone elsewhere noted that at the time of her verbal signing in May, she was a 4-star there, with a grade of 91.)

Plus, she has a pretty awesome name that is also (for once, of late) not a variation on the name Jade!!!

https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/12/w...ng-period.aspx
    http://www.espn.com/high-school/girl...er/_/id/237475

Anyways, glad for any possible positive news about the program, including/especially regarding recruiting.

So welcome (again), Vanessa!!!!! Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    FYI, the top 53 in the ESPN top 100 are ranked as 5 stars. Grade inflation?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

NCAA RPI Rankings (through games of December 15, 2019)
    #24. Duke

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...basketball-rpi

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    FYI, the top 53 in the ESPN top 100 are ranked as 5 stars. Grade inflation?
    Dan Olson has different ranking systems/ratings on his site, as compared to the rankings on ESPN.

For ESPN, any player with a rating between 96 and 100 has five stars. Any player with a rating between 91 and 95 has four stars.

And the ratings/rankings systems on ESPN are different for men's and women's recruiting.

Cool Brooke Heinsohn

Duke Women's Soccer Goalie has some great lineage. Personal: Full name is Brooke Elizabeth Heinsohn … Born March 11, 1998 in Newton, Mass. … Daughter of Paul and Carmel Heinsohn … Has two sisters, Danielle (24) and Victoria (21) … Her grandfather, Tommy, played for the Boston Celtics (1956-65), coached with the Celtics (1969-79) and has been the television announcer for the Boston Celtics since 1980 … Her father, Paul, played football at Duke (1978-80) and graduated in 1982 … Her mother, Carmel, graduated from Duke in 1982 … Her sister, Danielle, played soccer at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (2010-13) … The Rivers School Honor Roll from 2012-15.
    https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/16/w...aspx:rolleyes:

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by heyman25 View Post
    Duke Women's Soccer Goalie has some great lineage. Personal: Full name is Brooke Elizabeth Heinsohn … Born March 11, 1998 in Newton, Mass. … Daughter of Paul and Carmel Heinsohn … Has two sisters, Danielle (24) and Victoria (21) … Her grandfather, Tommy, played for the Boston Celtics (1956-65), coached with the Celtics (1969-79) and has been the television announcer for the Boston Celtics since 1980 … Her father, Paul, played football at Duke (1978-80) and graduated in 1982 … Her mother, Carmel, graduated from Duke in 1982 … Her sister, Danielle, played soccer at Massachusetts College of Liberal Arts (2010-13) … The Rivers School Honor Roll from 2012-15.
    https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/16/w...aspx:rolleyes:
    Very cool. And here's the fixed link. (Without the eye roll, ha!)
    https://goduke.com/news/2019/12/16/w...on-honors.aspx
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post

As of this morning (December 17, 2019), RealTimeRPI has Duke ranked 23rd in RPI. Examining the Duke profile on the site, these are the current projections:

Projected Record: 17-13 (10-8)
    Projected RPI Rank: 31
    Projected SOS Rank: 3

The projected RPI is up from #32 and still with an incredibly strong strength of schedule.

As of December 9, 2019, ESPN's Charlie Creme had Duke listed among the "First Four Out" in his most recent bracketology projections. A record of 17-13 -- even with ten conference wins -- is not likely to make the NCAAT based on history (which uh_no referenced in the quoted post), not to mention the ten conference wins comes with a caveat, as the ACC is playing 18 conference games.

This is where the next two games are critical. Both are on the road; both are against very good opponents and likely conference winners. RealTimeRPI projects South Carolina to win the SEC and finish third overall in RPI, while Florida Gulf Coast (FGCU) is projected to win the Atlantic Sun and finish 23rd in RPI. A win against either team would put Duke's projected record at 18-12 and would be considered a quality win.

As a caveat, the projection is based on games played to date. As Kyra Lambert loses some of the rust from missing two full years of basketball and as Mikayla Boykin works her way back into playing (giving Duke some quality depth), Duke may find itself exceeding the projected record and could conceivably get to 20 wins.

DeJesus is listed as one of 10 players to watch at this week's Nike Tournament of Champions.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...ment-champions

RE: Boykin. I'm still hearing January for Boykin. She's working out without discomfort but has not been cleared for full contact practices.

5 points in the 2nd quarter. 15 turnovers (against 4 assists) in the 1st half, I believe 11 of those were in the 2nd quarter.

Think about that. 1 quarter, 5 points, 11 turnovers. Are these really college scholarship players?

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    5 points in the 2nd quarter. 15 turnovers (against 4 assists) in the 1st half, I believe 11 of those were in the 2nd quarter.

Think about that. 1 quarter, 5 points, 11 turnovers. Are these really college scholarship players?
    Best part of the game so far was the Teddy Bear Toss.

Duke is on pace to have more TOs than points. Right now it is essentially tied. (23 pts, 22 TOs)

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post

With 14 minutes to go in the game, Duke has 23 points and 22 turnovers. SMH. It's the same story year after year under McCallie -- the team performs below the talent level of its individual players because they clearly are not being coached in the fundamentals of the game. I don't know what she has them do during practice, but I wonder how long our players and fans must suffer the indignity of a continuing decline in this once-proud program before White recognizes that Duke can and should do better?
    Last edited by Stray Gator; 12-19-2019 at 08:52 PM.

I don't have enough adjectives to describe how disgusting that game was.
    43 point loss, 89-46.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I don't have enough adjectives to describe how disgusting that game was.
    43 point loss, 89-46.
    Aaaand...any interest I had, however small it was, is now gone. Will now stop paying attention or reading threads for the rest of the season.

So glad the men played so I wasn't tempted to try and watch or listen. Wake me up when we get a new coach.

Quote Originally Posted by jwillfan View Post
    Aaaand...any interest I had, however small it was, is now gone. Will now stop paying attention or reading threads for the rest of the season.

So glad the men played so I wasn't tempted to try and watch or listen. Wake me up when we get a new coach.
    You're not the only one. It appears the team isn't interested either.

The game was so awful it was historic.

That was the largest margin of defeat for the Blue Devils (7-4) since (Coach Dawn) Staley's Cavaliers had a 93-48 win over Duke during Staley's senior season in 1992.
    https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...meId=401166788
    This is not a good stretch for the Blue Devils, who finished with 30 turnovers at South Carolina. They've committed 55 miscues in their last two games

If that doesn’t get Mr. White’s attention, one wonders what would.