Page 50 of 76 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
Results 981 to 1,000 of 1506
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    As crazy as it may have sounded a few weeks ago... McCallie might just end up as Coach of the Year depending on how things play out. It has to either be her or Kenny Brooks of VPI at this point. Brooks probably gets it if the Hokies end up as a top 5 team in the conference. The other contenders have fallen off.
    Who is this VPI? I've yet to see them in the standings. Never seen them play on TV. Does Duke play them?
    (Total pet peeve nitpick, fyi)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    Who is this VPI? I've yet to see them in the standings. Never seen them play on TV. Does Duke play them?
    (Total pet peeve nitpick, fyi)
    Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Sometimes known as VPI orVT

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    As crazy as it may have sounded a few weeks ago... McCallie might just end up as Coach of the Year depending on how things play out. It has to either be her or Kenny Brooks of VPI at this point. Brooks probably gets it if the Hokies end up as a top 5 team in the conference. The other contenders have fallen off.
    Um, why? Pre-season, Duke was picked to finish 3rd or 4th in the ACC, with the odd coaches' vote to be ranked. 3rd or 4th looks to be where they will actually finish in the end. I mean, yeah, if we run the table in the ACC tourney or something, that would be worthy. But as much as this seems like a team revival, it only really looks that way because we started the season so poorly. I'm not being anti-McCallie, but just looking at the season with some long-term perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Um, why? Pre-season, Duke was picked to finish 3rd or 4th in the ACC, with the odd coaches' vote to be ranked. 3rd or 4th looks to be where they will actually finish in the end. I mean, yeah, if we run the table in the ACC tourney or something, that would be worthy. But as much as this seems like a team revival, it only really looks that way because we started the season so poorly. I'm not being anti-McCallie, but just looking at the season with some long-term perspective.

For some reason, I was thinking we were picked 6th. In that case... Brooks should win... as long as they dont falter. The coach for BC might be a contender as well.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by devilseven View Post
    Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University. Sometimes known as VPI orVT
    I know. Name the last time they were officially known as VPI in any sporting event. Hell, find me a shirt that says VPI Hokies. Never seen one. (Like I said, pet peeve)
    Last edited by CameronBornAndBred; 02-16-2020 at 05:32 PM.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I know. Name the last time they were officially known as VPI in any sporting event. Hell, find me a shirt that says VPI Hokies. Never seen one.
    I'm with you CB&B. It is a little irritating to me to see posters being so "cool" as to fail to use the name adopted and used exclusively by the institution (with granted exception to the Dump down the road). It also used to be North Carolina Central College in Durham but that has properly changed to reflect the change of name to NCCU.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I'm with you CB&B. It is a little irritating to me to see posters being so "cool" as to fail to use the name adopted and used exclusively by the institution (with granted exception to the Dump down the road). It also used to be North Carolina Central College in Durham but that has properly changed to reflect the change of name to NCCU.

Didn't mean to irritate or to be "cool". I visited the campus and received mailings, catalogs, clothing back in the 80s... with Virginia Polytechnical Instistute on it... so the name VPI has stuck with me for the past 30+ years. Don't worry.... I won't use it anymore.

McCallie doing just enough to get a new contract would be a travesty.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Actually it was 3 straight threes, just like the State game, but with a better result this time. Go Devils!
    Ekhomu hit a two-pointer to make it 58-54 Duke. Puisis hit a 3 for 58-57. Ekhomu hit a 3 for 60-57.

Hence back-to-back.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    McCallie doing just enough to get a new contract would be a travesty.
    Personally I think the die has been cast or should have been by now. Short of a run to the FF, the AD's decision will not be influenced by the outcome of this season. Either DWBB is important enough to launch a search for a new coach, or it isn't and McCallie's contract will be renewed. If that is what it takes to pour your heart into rooting for this team to go as far as they can then use it. Everything that can be said about McCallie has been said. Don't shortchange the Seniors, they don't deserve anyone's conflicted loyalties. They're having a great run. I'd love to see Duke make a deep run in the NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    She was not feeling well and did not play today. she was dressed and on the bench. It was a big deal when lambert had to leave the gamed after a collision - she did briefly come back.
    Boykin experienced knee soreness during pre-game warmups. Duke decided to play it safe. Availability for UVA TBD.

At least a manager didn't poke her in the eye.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    Personally I think the die has been cast or should have been by now. Short of a run to the FF, the AD's decision will not be influenced by the outcome of this season. Either DWBB is important enough to launch a search for a new coach, or it isn't and McCallie's contract will be renewed. If that is what it takes to pour your heart into rooting for this team to go as far as they can then use it. Everything that can be said about McCallie has been said. Don't shortchange the Seniors, they don't deserve anyone's conflicted loyalties. They're having a great run. I'd love to see Duke make a deep run in the NCAAs.
    Yep! I enjoy rooting for our team to do well way more than wishing for failure just so we can get a new pair of hands at the helm. If that means the ship doesn't change captains, so be it. I'm not pulling for our ladies to fail, especially when players like Haley have endured so much. She deserves to go out with a smile.

Yep! I enjoy rooting for our team to do well way more than wishing for failure just so we can get a new pair of hands at the helm. If that means the ship doesn't change captains, so be it. I'm not pulling for our ladies to fail, especially when players like Haley have endured so much. She deserves to go out with a smile.
    This, exactly.

DWBB will get the same view as UNC if they had won with Anthony back. We are a much better team when healthy, and we showed that today by beating FSU. We still need to beat UVA and take 2/3 of the remaining road games to be in the bubble conversation.

Our girls are at it again!

State lost to GT today. They are now on a 2 game losing streak and watching their seeding slip away. They still have Miami to play before facing us, but they will be motivated and fighting to keep their hosting hopes alive for the tourney.

That's 4 losses in a row, and none particularly "good" ones. They've gone from a solid NCAA team to the NIT, in less than three weeks. Taking a little bit of shine off of Banghart's crown as a great hire.

Stop bangin my heart around!

Agreed on these points, I'm really excited to see that the ladies' team is playing really well recently, and from what I've heard, it may suggest some growth and development and putting some puzzle pieces together (all around). But one would suspect that the AD's have an appropriate long-term view of the program in order to support a renewal decision, rather than relying on a single 10-game stretch to justify a decision that will impact the next several years of the program (and probably the couple of years after that).

In the meantime, I'm going to keep rooting for the team either way. Duke is my school, no matter who's at the top. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by MHTorringjan View Post
    Agreed on these points, I'm really excited to see that the ladies' team is playing really well recently, and from what I've heard, it may suggest some growth and development and putting some puzzle pieces together (all around). But one would suspect that the AD's have an appropriate long-term view of the program in order to support a renewal decision, rather than relying on a single 10-game stretch to justify a decision that will impact the next several years of the program (and probably the couple of years after that).

In the meantime, I'm going to keep rooting for the team either way. Duke is my school, no matter who's at the top. :-)
    I would not suspect that. Outside of Cut, Coach K and Chris Pollard, I'm not at all warm and fuzzy about decisions made in the AD.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    I would not suspect that. Outside of Cut, Coach K and Chris Pollard, I'm not at all warm and fuzzy about decisions made in the AD.
    Nine NCAA championships don’t make you warm and fuzzy?

That’s what coaches Brooks and Danowski have between them.