Page 32 of 76 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    Boykin-led Duke women's basketball takes down Virginia Tech in overtime thriller
    Joe Wang (The Chronicle)
    https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...rtime-thriller
    The Chronicle (article linked above) highlights the impact and importance of Mikayla Boykin:

With seven minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Blue Devils found themselves on the verge of another close-encounter loss, trailing by nine points. In her fourth game back from a year-long injury, redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin single-handedly took over Duke’s offense in the dwindling minutes of the regulation.

Boykin first hit a mid-range jumper off a pretty crossover, then followed up with another mid-range shot off a hesitation move. By the time she made her third bucket in a row with a spectacular half-spin jumper, the Hokie lead had been cut to only one. In the final 30 seconds of the game when the Blue Devils (8-8, 2-3 in the ACC) desperately needed a basket to tie the game up, it was Boykin who penetrated the packed defense, carefully drawing the defenders towards her before dishing out a perfect dime to Leaonna Odom for a crucial lay-up that forced the game into overtime.
    Yet when asked about her almost singlehandedly preventing Duke from another defeat and giving the team an opportunity to win in overtime, this is what Mikayla had to say:

“Thanks to Haley [Gorecki],” Boykin said when asked about her elite performance. “Haley was being guarded really tight, so it was opening [the court] up a lot for other players. I just stepped up and tried to hit big shots, but thanks to my teammates, it was kind of open for me. [I focused on] making the right play down the stretch.”
    So thrilled for Mikayla to be not just be able to return to the court, but to show flashes of greatness that made her a top-twenty recruiting in high school.

And it says a lot about her that she gives credits to her teammates for her performance.

When Coach G came to Duke our women's team was pretty much a 500 team in W/L's. They had never finished higher then 3rd place in The ACC and that occurred just once. Coach G came to Duke and pretty much built the Duke Women's program and gave it to Coach McCallie in much better shape then when she came to Duke. Coach G averaged 30 wins a season in her last 7 years at Duke. Where as Coach McCallie has only won 30 games 3 times and not since the 2012-2013 season. It's just that she took over a program with a good foundation and has let it erode to a degree and not helped improve it. But then again maybe the women's game has gotten more competitive over time but just still seems like she has let our program slip from where it was when she got here imo.

Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Finally, trend lines might matter to you, but they have nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. The fact is, many posters around here were highly critical of Coach P in her good years too. I don't know if you were among them, but based on your hostile tone my guess is you probably were (I apologize if I'm incorrect on that point). My point was not to say Coach G and Coach P were equivalent -- there's no point discussing something like that with an angry mob already equipped with tar and feathers. My point was to say people around here overly glorify Coach G's performance and overly demonize Coach P's performance, when the truth is in each coach's peak years the team's overall performance was not all that different.
    I did not hate her when she arrived and I was very happy with her leadership of the team in the better Coach P years. I do happen to have a friend who was a student manager under her at Maine and I definitely heard some stories that were not complimentary, but nothing that sounded like it should be disqualifying.

I could not disagree more with you that trend lines are not relevant to the (real) point you're trying to make, which is to defend P. Yes, you are objectively, sterilely trying to compare their "best" years. But what really matters is that G had her worst years early, then built a top-flight program that did not finish lower than second in the ACC for the last decade of her time at Duke. P inherited that top-flight program, maintained it at *almost* the same level for a few years, and has now driven it into the absolute dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I did not hate her when she arrived and I was very happy with her leadership of the team in the better Coach P years. I do happen to have a friend who was a student manager under her at Maine and I definitely heard some stories that were not complimentary, but nothing that sounded like it should be disqualifying.

I could not disagree more with you that trend lines are not relevant to the (real) point you're trying to make, which is to defend P. Yes, you are objectively, sterilely trying to compare their "best" years. But what really matters is that G had her worst years early, then built a top-flight program that did not finish lower than second in the ACC for the last decade of her time at Duke. P inherited that top-flight program, maintained it at *almost* the same level for a few years, and has now driven it into the absolute dirt.
    To be fair to P, gail didn't have ND and UL in her conference. She did have maryland, of course, who used to be closer to that level. Not that it's particularly relevant given where we're finishing in the ACC these days, but small differences in strength at the top can affect your chances of winning the conference, regardless of the quality of your team. You can't really compare that kind of thing across eras, especially when the makeup of the conference has changed so dramatically.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    To be fair to P, gail didn't have ND and UL in her conference. She did have maryland, of course, who used to be closer to that level. Not that it's particularly relevant given where we're finishing in the ACC these days, but small differences in strength at the top can affect your chances of winning the conference, regardless of the quality of your team. You can't really compare that kind of thing across eras, especially when the makeup of the conference has changed so dramatically.
    Sure, it's not a perfect comparison. Kedsy is also right that my averaging of some season statistics was not perfect (but it's more than close enough to be valid).

But here are G's ACC finishes:

1993 9th
    1994 5th
    1995 4th
    1996 2nd
    1997 T-3rd
    1998 1st
    1999 1st
    2000 2nd
    2001 1st
    2002 1st
    2003 1st
    2004 1st
    2005 T-1st
    2006 T-2nd
    2007 1st

And G's:

2008 T-3rd
    2009 3rd
    2010 T-1st
    2011 T-1st
    2012 1st
    2013 1st
    2014 T-2nd
    2015 T-4th
    2016 T-7th
    2017 T-2nd
    2018 T-4th
    2019 T-10th
    2020 Incomplete, but currently tied with four other teams for 8th place at 2-3

Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    I think this highlights the issue for many. Coach G's worst years were when she took over a program with very little tradition that was at or near the bottom of the ACC. Coach P's worst years have come more recently, as the program has trended downward. Duke could miss the NCAA Tournament for the third time in five years if this season does not turn around (hopefully, the win against VaTech and the return of Mikayla Boykin will jumpstart the squad).

As far as the team's overall performance being not all that different from the Coach G years to the Coach P years, looking at the best years of the program, I think it depends on the metrics you are using. You did a great job of gathering information regarding the number of possessions, turnovers, 2pt FGs, etc. (side note...when you have a chance, it would be great if you could please share where you were able to find that information, as I would like to add it to my "favorites").

But someone could point to the last 10 years of the Goestenkors era and compare it to 12 years of the McCallie tenure (not including 2019-20, the current season) to find this:

OVERALL RECORD:
    Goestenkors: 301-46 (86.74 percent)
    McCallie: 312-95 (76.65 percent)

ACC RECORD:
    Goestenkors: 138-16 (89.61 percent)
    McCallie: 138-48 (74.19 percent)

ACC FINISHES:
    Goestenkors: 8 regular season ACC titles, 5 ACCT championships, 8 years finishing 1st, 2 years finishing 2nd
    McCallie: 4 regular season ACC titles, 3 ACCT championships, 4 years finishing 1st, 2 years finishing 2nd, 2 years finishing 3rd, 2 years finishing 4th, 1 year finishing 7th, 1 year finishing 10th

NCAA RECORD:
    Goestenkors: 33-10 (two NCAA runners-up, four Final Fours, seven years at least making the Elite Eight, all ten years at least making the Sweet 16)
    McCallie: 21-10 (zero Final Fours, four Elite Eights, seven years at least making the Sweet 16, three second round losses, two years missing the NCAAT altogether)

Against Top 5 Opponents:
    Goestenkors: 18-18 (50.00 percent)
    McCallie: 8-36 (18.18 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents:
    Goestenkors: 34-18 (65.38 percent)
    McCallie: 22-49 (30.98 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents:
    Goestenkors: 81-34 (70.43 percent)
    McCallie: 72-67 (51.79 percent)

Again, this is the last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season.

When I have a chance this week, I will have to run the numbers and use the best years of the McCallie era and compare it to the best years of the Goestenkors era. I will likely use 2009-10, 2010-11, 2011-12, and 2012-13, as these were the four years that McCallie's teams made the Elite Eight. The other really good McCallie years were 2008-09 (27-6 record), 2013-14 (28-6 record, lost Gray and Jones to injury later in the season), and 2016-17 (28-6 record, Lexie Brown's first year at Duke).

Anyway, you raised an interesting point about looking at the best years of each coach and the lens through which we look. Is it quality of play? Is it perceived quality of play? Is it year-end record? Is it NCAAT results?
    Yeah, there's no doubt that in your chart the numbers clearly favor Coach G's last ten years over Coach P's full tenure. It's a shame about the injuries during Coach P's best years. If those injuries hadn't happened and Duke had made a couple Final Fours, would the fans have been so against her? I don't know. Also, I don't know how apples-to-apples the comparisons above are with regard to, e.g., ACC record and championships, considering the addition to the ACC of teams like Notre Dame and Louisville. I acknowledge that Coach G was on an upward trend (her worst years were early and her best years late) while at the moment Coach P is clearly on a downward trend. Finally, comparing Coach G's best years to Coach P's full tenure doesn't seem to be apples-to-apples, either. Though it's hard to deny that Coach G's run of "best years" lasted longer than Coach P's run.

But the important thing that we shouldn't overlook is that there are two standards here. One is Coach G vs. Coach P. It's an inevitable comparison, since P was G's immediate successor, and it's clear that Coach G's last ten years were better than any ten (or 12) year period of Coach P's. But it's also a little irrelevant. Coach P doesn't have to have been as good as Coach G to have been a good coach, or to have been worthy of coaching at Duke (and I'm talking about success here, rather than alleged antics). For the majority of Coach P's tenure, I believe she did a good job on the court and was worthy of coaching at Duke. I only brought up Coach G to show that the things many are complaining about under Coach P (in this case, turnovers and missed layups) were mostly present under Coach G as well.

The last two years, I don't know. Ultimately, if it's true that the investigation has made top recruits wary of choosing Duke, then it's unlikely that Coach P can bring Duke back to glory (it would be unlikely for anybody without top recruits). If that's the case, then maybe she has to go. But in my opinion, she still doesn't deserve all the vitriol that's regularly served around here.

P.S.: To derive the stats I posted, I used the GoDuke archives and then calculated the more advanced stats (e.g., possessions) from those.

If that's the case, then maybe she has to go. But in my opinion, she still doesn't deserve all the vitriol that's regularly served around here.
    I wouldn't care if she'd went to the final four every year she's been here. I don't want a coach who openly rips former players, then lies about doing it while throwing student reporters under the bus representing Duke. I long for the day when she is no longer a public face of this university in the same way that I am pleased at the long-awaited departure of some other administrators.

Duke is better than that.
    1200. DDMF.

Yeah, there's no doubt that in your chart the numbers clearly favor Coach G's last ten years over Coach P's full tenure. It's a shame about the injuries during Coach P's best years. If those injuries hadn't happened and Duke had made a couple Final Fours, would the fans have been so against her? I don't know. Also, I don't know how apples-to-apples the comparisons above are with regard to, e.g., ACC record and championships, considering the addition to the ACC of teams like Notre Dame and Louisville. I acknowledge that Coach G was on an upward trend (her worst years were early and her best years late) while at the moment Coach P is clearly on a downward trend. Finally, comparing Coach G's best years to Coach P's full tenure doesn't seem to be apples-to-apples, either. Though it's hard to deny that Coach G's run of "best years" lasted longer than Coach P's run.

But the important thing that we shouldn't overlook is that there are two standards here. One is Coach G vs. Coach P. It's an inevitable comparison, since P was G's immediate successor, and it's clear that Coach G's last ten years were better than any ten (or 12) year period of Coach P's. But it's also a little irrelevant. Coach P doesn't have to have been as good as Coach G to have been a good coach, or to have been worthy of coaching at Duke (and I'm talking about success here, rather than alleged antics). For the majority of Coach P's tenure, I believe she did a good job on the court and was worthy of coaching at Duke. I only brought up Coach G to show that the things many are complaining about under Coach P (in this case, turnovers and missed layups) were mostly present under Coach G as well.

The last two years, I don't know. Ultimately, if it's true that the investigation has made top recruits wary of choosing Duke, then it's unlikely that Coach P can bring Duke back to glory (it would be unlikely for anybody without top recruits). If that's the case, then maybe she has to go. But in my opinion, she still doesn't deserve all the vitriol that's regularly served around here.

P.S.: To derive the stats I posted, I used the GoDuke archives and then calculated the more advanced stats (e.g., possessions) from those.
    A couple of thoughts. First, McCallie inherited a very successful program. Some, but certainly not all, of her success is due to what she inherited. That momentum has slowly dissipated with McCallie at the helm. Second, I’ve read that because of the prevalence of knee injuries in the women’s game that coaches make educated guesses about which players are most susceptible to injury based on the conformation of the legs. This is something that coaches don’t like to talk since it’s treating young women as if they were horses but it’s part of the game. If that’s the case, I’d say that McCallie is terrible at this aspect of coaching.

I appreciate your perspective....

Kedsy, I appreciate the way you've articulated your thoughts in the above post and in your previous comments while remaining objective and not being defensive. I also appreciated the way you appear to be open to the possibility that maybe Coach P has to go based on some of the circumstances that she has had to deal with.

We've disagreed and argued about Coach P in the past; and I haven't posted in a long time on this thread because honestly I grew tired of arguing with you and other supporters of Coach P. I thought it got too heated and wasn't worth it. While I admit my interest in DWBB has declined over the last few years due to the downward trend of the team's successes, I have still supported the team from afar and visited this thread regularly to read the comments about the team from posters. I went into the hiring of Coach P with an open mind and didn't have anything against her. I actually liked her demeanor at her press conference and was genuinely excited about the possibility of her taking the program to a higher level. However, over the years, I developed doubts about Coach P being able to take the program to the next level; and concerns about Coach P grew as the years went by. It started with the fact that she came from Michigan State where she primarily used zone; but stated at the beginning of her tenure that with the level of athletes that Duke has compared to Michigan State, it would give her the opportunity to use multiple defenses and not have to rely primarily on zone. Then, she went ahead and transitioned the team from primarily man to man pressure defense (which I thought was very effective) to primarily a matchup zone team; which is her right to do as HC. She may have thought that was the best way for this program to win but it went against what she promised the fan base she would do imo. I am not an insider but maybe some of the issues people had with Coach P early on was because she didn't appear to follow thru or stick with she said or promised to do at times. Please don't consider this as rumor mongering. Then add the controversial actions against her players as well has her comments about opposing players and former players, and I began to wonder if she was the right coach for this program.

With all of that said, please don't get it twisted. This is not a Coach P bashing post (although I do have come critical comments of her tenure). I think Coach P is a good coach and she was worthy of being the HC of this program. She has won alot of games here as well as ACC regular season and conference championships. She has beaten UNC many times, which is always a plus for me. However, I think its fair to say that based on recent trends, one has to wonder if she is the best person to lead this program now. She might have been the best person before but is she now? Former AD Joe Alleva hired her because he thought Coach P could elevate the program and accomplish things Coach G didn't. Has Coach P done that? IMO, she hasn't based on watching her teams over the years. I've always felt that had Coach G stayed, she would've eventually won a NC; it was just a matter of time. To be fair, I could've been wrong about that but we will never know. I feel with Coach P (and this is with my eyes watching her teams and not having any stats to back this up) that she peaked several years ago and at this point, she is never going to win a NC with Duke as HC. I would gladly like to be proven wrong about that. Again, it doesn't mean she is a bad coach. There have been a lot of factors to contribute to the program's past shortcomings under Coach P (some of which were out of her control that Kedsy has alluded to); but I feel that her best with Duke is in the past and it's not going to approach that level anytime soon. We went from competing for ACC and national championships to being at the bottom of the top 25 (at best) and a middling program in the ACC and nationally.

My concern in the past was that we would come to this point as a program; and her we are. Again, I'm not blaming it all on Coach P but the reality is that we are in this place; and I am not sure Coach P can get us out of this. I think we need new leadership but as long as Coach P is our HC, I will support her as well as cheer for her and the team because I am a DUKE fan. BUT I WANT TO SEE THIS PROGRAM GET BACK TO BEING ELITE, WINNING ACC CHAMPIONSHIPS, MAKING FINAL FOURS, AND CHASING AFTER AS WELL AS WINNING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS; AND NOT TRENDING TOWARDS BEING MEDIOCRE!! I don't care who the coach is as long as he or she can get us there.

Quote Originally Posted by Class of '94 View Post
    Kedsy, I appreciate the way you've articulated your thoughts in the above post and in your previous comments while remaining objective and not being defensive. I also appreciated the way you appear to be open to the possibility that maybe Coach P has to go based on some of the circumstances that she has had to deal with.

We've disagreed and argued about Coach P in the past; and I haven't posted in a long time on this thread because honestly I grew tired of arguing with you and other supporters of Coach P. I thought it got too heated and wasn't worth it. While I admit my interest in DWBB has declined over the last few years due to the downward trend of the team's successes, I have still supported the team from afar and visited this thread regularly to read the comments about the team from posters. I went into the hiring of Coach P with an open mind and didn't have anything against her. I actually liked her demeanor at her press conference and was genuinely excited about the possibility of her taking the program to a higher level. However, over the years, I developed doubts about Coach P being able to take the program to the next level; and concerns about Coach P grew as the years went by. It started with the fact that she came from Michigan State where she primarily used zone; but stated at the beginning of her tenure that with the level of athletes that Duke has compared to Michigan State, it would give her the opportunity to use multiple defenses and not have to rely primarily on zone. Then, she went ahead and transitioned the team from primarily man to man pressure defense (which I thought was very effective) to primarily a matchup zone team; which is her right to do as HC. She may have thought that was the best way for this program to win but it went against what she promised the fan base she would do imo. I am not an insider but maybe some of the issues people had with Coach P early on was because she didn't appear to follow thru or stick with she said or promised to do at times. Please don't consider this as rumor mongering. Then add the controversial actions against her players as well has her comments about opposing players and former players, and I began to wonder if she was the right coach for this program.

With all of that said, please don't get it twisted. This is not a Coach P bashing post (although I do have come critical comments of her tenure). I think Coach P is a good coach and she was worthy of being the HC of this program. She has won alot of games here as well as ACC regular season and conference championships. She has beaten UNC many times, which is always a plus for me. However, I think its fair to say that based on recent trends, one has to wonder if she is the best person to lead this program now. She might have been the best person before but is she now? Former AD Joe Alleva hired her because he thought Coach P could elevate the program and accomplish things Coach G didn't. Has Coach P done that? IMO, she hasn't based on watching her teams over the years. I've always felt that had Coach G stayed, she would've eventually won a NC; it was just a matter of time. To be fair, I could've been wrong about that but we will never know. I feel with Coach P (and this is with my eyes watching her teams and not having any stats to back this up) that she peaked several years ago and at this point, she is never going to win a NC with Duke as HC. I would gladly like to be proven wrong about that. Again, it doesn't mean she is a bad coach. There have been a lot of factors to contribute to the program's past shortcomings under Coach P (some of which were out of her control that Kedsy has alluded to); but I feel that her best with Duke is in the past and it's not going to approach that level anytime soon. We went from competing for ACC and national championships to being at the bottom of the top 25 (at best) and a middling program in the ACC and nationally.

My concern in the past was that we would come to this point as a program; and her we are. Again, I'm not blaming it all on Coach P but the reality is that we are in this place; and I am not sure Coach P can get us out of this. I think we need new leadership but as long as Coach P is our HC, I will support her as well as cheer for her and the team because I am a DUKE fan. BUT I WANT TO SEE THIS PROGRAM GET BACK TO BEING ELITE, WINNING ACC CHAMPIONSHIPS, MAKING FINAL FOURS, AND CHASING AFTER AS WELL AS WINNING NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS; AND NOT TRENDING TOWARDS BEING MEDIOCRE!! I don't care who the coach is as long as he or she can get us there.
    All fair points. Hopefully, the team will build on the Louisville and VaTech games, go on a roll, and end the season on a relatively high note. After that, we'll just have to see.

For those who question whether various sites/outlets/message boards were too hard on Coach P at various points in her Duke tenure, consider this from

Trying times for Muffet McGraw, Notre Dame women's program
    Tom Noie South Bend Tribune

There likely won’t be a 25th consecutive trip to the NCAA tournament at season’s end. No 17th visit to the Sweet 16 or 10th trip to the Elite Eight. Where’s the Final Four this season? Who cares?
    If Notre Dame can’t qualify for the NCAA tournament, it would be the third team in Division I history to dive from national runner-up one year to no tournament trip the next.
    It’s gone from really good to really bad in a blink.

https://www.ndinsider.com/basketball...1447f36b.html/

Meanwhile, there's a game on, and after the first quarter, the score is 14-4, Notre Dame. Our defense started poorly, but has very much improved as the quarter progressed. Unfortunately, our offense is really struggling. We have twice as many turnovers as points in the quarter. However you want to use the turnover stats, that one isn't so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Meanwhile, there's a game on, and after the first quarter, the score is 14-4, Notre Dame. Our defense started poorly, but has very much improved as the quarter progressed. Unfortunately, our offense is really struggling. We have twice as many turnovers as points in the quarter. However you want to use the turnover stats, that one isn't so good.
    Absolutely painful. No spark, no focus, no cohesion. They're playing like it's a pickup game and they just met.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    We’re getting decent shots, just not falling (Miala is 0-4 from 3, all of them reasonably open shots.)

The defense let number 33 (don’t have a roster card) open for two early threes, but changed D after a TO and she hasn’t gotten one off since.

Neither team scored for the last 5:46 of the of the 1st quarter.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This game might make my eyes bleed.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

20 points in a half may be a record for Duke offensive futility.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    This game might make my eyes bleed.
    Big run at end to get to 20 at half. Only down 9 to a great Notre Dame team😀

Well, we got a point back to make it 29-20, Irish, at the half. Not exactly a barn burner, however you slice it.

Overheard someone say that 4 points in the 1st TIED the season's low for a quarter. Yikes.