Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
Boykin-led Duke women's basketball takes down Virginia Tech in overtime thriller
Joe Wang (The Chronicle)
https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...rtime-thriller
The Chronicle (article linked above) highlights the impact and importance of Mikayla Boykin:

With seven minutes left in the fourth quarter, the Blue Devils found themselves on the verge of another close-encounter loss, trailing by nine points. In her fourth game back from a year-long injury, redshirt freshman Mikayla Boykin single-handedly took over Duke’s offense in the dwindling minutes of the regulation.

Boykin first hit a mid-range jumper off a pretty crossover, then followed up with another mid-range shot off a hesitation move. By the time she made her third bucket in a row with a spectacular half-spin jumper, the Hokie lead had been cut to only one. In the final 30 seconds of the game when the Blue Devils (8-8, 2-3 in the ACC) desperately needed a basket to tie the game up, it was Boykin who penetrated the packed defense, carefully drawing the defenders towards her before dishing out a perfect dime to Leaonna Odom for a crucial lay-up that forced the game into overtime.
Yet when asked about her almost singlehandedly preventing Duke from another defeat and giving the team an opportunity to win in overtime, this is what Mikayla had to say:

“Thanks to Haley [Gorecki],” Boykin said when asked about her elite performance. “Haley was being guarded really tight, so it was opening [the court] up a lot for other players. I just stepped up and tried to hit big shots, but thanks to my teammates, it was kind of open for me. [I focused on] making the right play down the stretch.”
So thrilled for Mikayla to be not just be able to return to the court, but to show flashes of greatness that made her a top-twenty recruiting in high school.

And it says a lot about her that she gives credits to her teammates for her performance.