Page 53 of 76 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563 ... LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,060 of 1506
    Happy for our seniors. We are really going to miss them.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by burnspbesq View Post
    The win over FSU pushed Duke up to number 31, according to realtimeRPI.com. That’s not “last four in” territory, that’s 9 or 10 seed territory.
    At 16-10 (10-5), I think we're 2 wins from a NCAA bid, but the road games left are tough: NCSU, VT, and UNC.
    14 losses is WNIT. That is losing out.
    17-13 with significant injuries is last 4 in/first 4 out.
    18 wins should get the 8-10 block, and I would not put it past them to have a TN-Duke, TN-TX, or TX-Duke blockbuster game for TV.
    19-22 wins will depend a lot on who we beat up to a 4 seed. 22 wins is the maximum before the NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Boykin's three baskets within a 2.5-minute span down the stretch after UVA had cut the lead to 8 made the difference between coasting in to a comfortable win and a potentially nail-biting finish. Once the lead moved back up to 12, UVA visibly ran out of steam and deflated. This was a good and important win, but the persistent problems of turnovers and stagnating offensive possessions -- as well as the recurring difficulties Duke encountered tonight defending against inbounds plays under the opponent's basket -- really need to be addressed before the post-season if we hope to see the current positive momentum carry into March.
    Boykin also made an exceptional pass to Odom on an alley-oop down the stretch. Boykin made some huge plays down the stretch, while Odom really stuffed the stat sheet. Now, about that foul shooting.

And Duke also did a good job on Jocelyn Willoughby, the ACC's leading scorer. She's too good to completely shut down. But Duke held her to 15 points, 5 below her season average and well under what she had against Duke earlier this season. Willoughby was 11-11 from the foul line in that game, 2-2 tonight. Big improvement for Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Boykin also made an exceptional pass to Odom on an alley-oop down the stretch. Boykin made some huge plays down the stretch, while Odom really stuffed the stat sheet. Now, about that foul shooting. . . .
    When Odom missed her first 5 free throws, I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking that, given her consistent accuracy from the mid-range, she might do better from the line if she shot her free throws as jumpers.

As solid as she was with that double-double of 17 points and 12 rebounds, what impressed me most about Odom's game tonight was how active and aggressive she was on defense. She was credited with 5 steals, but there were some additional tipped passes and partially deflected shot attempts that ended up in Duke's hands because of her alert reactions. All the more remarkable considering that she normally wears an expression that makes her look bored and ready to take a nap.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    This was a good and important win, but the persistent problems of turnovers and stagnating offensive possessions...
    I thought this was one of the most notable things about the game. We were not playing a good team, but we seemed to go passive on both ends of the floor for some reason. On defense, we didn't pressure much and played mostly the famous matchup zone, even though with the exception of Willoughby, we have superior athletes at most positions. On offense, we went back to taking ten seconds to set up an iso for Haley, then hoisting up a bad shot when they defended well.

Obviously, this was a much better game than we played on their home floor, but there were some disturbing signs here. I hope we can get back to playing up-tempo ball and scoring 70+. I think we play much better on both ends when we play faster.

Virginia beats Virginia Tech. Other good news, Heels lose at home to WF.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Virginia beats Virginia Tech. Other good news, Heels lose at home to WF.
    One of those is very important, one is fun. I'll let y'all figure out which is which.

Current ACC standings. (Miami - BC is currently tied at half, FSU is up by 4 over GT at half.)

1 (5)Louisville Cardinals 14-2
    2 (10)NC State Wolfpack 12-3
    3 Duke Blue Devils 10-5 (!!!!)
    4 (17)Florida State Seminoles 10-5
    5 Virginia Tech Hokies 10-6
    6 Boston College Eagles 9-6
    7 Syracuse Orange 9-7
    8 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets 8-8
    9 North Carolina Tar Heels 7-9
    10 Virginia Cavaliers 7-9
    11 Wake Forest Demon Deacons 7-10
    12 Notre Dame Fighting Irish 6-10
    13 Miami Hurricanes 5-10
    14 Clemson Lady Tigers 3-13
    15 Pittsburgh Panthers 1-15
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The Hokies are gonna be extra extra motivated to win Thursday night. It wasa must win for them before today's loss... but now they are gonna be in desperation mode. I dont see them winning at Louisville next Sunday.

Pretty good site to go and play around with in terms of ACC Tournament Possibilities and Tiebreakers.

http://bball.notnothing.net/acc.php?sport=wbb

GT now leads FSU by 5 heading into the 4th Q. If that holds it would temporarily give Duke 3rd place in the ACC by a half game.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    GT beats FSU!!! Huge!

Duke is now in sole possession of 3rd place, sweet!
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    GT beats FSU!!! Huge!

Duke is now in sole possession of 3rd place, sweet!
    Now let's beat the wolfies.
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    GT survives against FSU at home, putting Duke in sole possession of third place, heading into tomorrow’s game against NC State.

We have the tie-breaker against everybody with 6 or 7 losses, a 2-1 finish this week guarantees a double-bye, and I’m sure many permutations with a 1-2 finish will do that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Now let's beat the wolfies.
    Yes please. Very happy we are not facing State with them coming off another loss. And we can't play like we did our last game...hopefully we got that bout of revisionism off our back in time to show up like we've been playing more recently.

FYI, Duke has a 5 game winning streak, which is currently the best in the conference. Not to say it won't end in Raleigh, but if you had a time to go streaking, this was the time.

FYI, Duke has a 5 game winning streak, which is currently the best in the conference. Not to say it won't end in Raleigh, but if you had a time to go streaking, this was the time.
    Is there ever a bad time to go streaking?? 😜😜😜

Quote Originally Posted by PSurprise View Post
    Is there ever a bad time to go streaking?? 😜😜😜
    No, there is not! Tonight would be a great time to continue our streak by beating the Wulfie-Women in their very own den. ESPN2 at 7:00. Wish I could get there on time.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Creme still has us a 9 seed, but now facing Oregon in Portland in the second round instead of Baylor in the second round in Waco. Pick your poison, ha!

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology

Creme still has us a 9 seed, but now facing Oregon in Portland in the second round instead of Baylor in the second round in Waco. Pick your poison, ha!

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-b...l/bracketology
    duke aside, this is stacking up to be one of the best women's tournaments in a long time...and that's coming from a uconn fan whose team has been obliterated by the teams we're talking about here.
    April 1

Duke has received its first vote in the AP poll since seemingly forever.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings

Duke has received its first vote in the AP poll since seemingly forever.

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/rankings
    well. freakin'. earned.
    April 1