Page 73 of 76 FirstFirst ... 23637172737475 ... LastLast
Results 1,441 to 1,460 of 1506
    Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Luigi P. Carnesecca.

Perhaps not “top ten” but a significant and successful basketball program before and after.

Absent some who left during WWII and returned (a different circumstance), there aren’t many at any level, in any sport.
    Lou was the coach for St. Johns basketball for years. After coaching there he was coach for the New York Nets of the ABA. I was blessed to have lunch with Coach Carnesecca along with Pogo Joe Caldwell and Bones McKinney one day. He was a very nice fellow. Somehow a friend that had a working relationship with our own Carolina Cougars got me a job of keeping count of rebounds during the preseason. A job that kept me from being able to really enjoy the game. I gave that job up after one preseason. However I was still able to meet some great people like Bob Verga, Billy Cunningham(coach & player), Doug Moe, Pogo, Bones McKinney, Mike Lewis, Gene Littles, and Larry Miller to name just a few. Coach Carnesecca made a good impression on this young man. Now back to your regular scheduled broadcast.

GoDuke!

Bill Snyder had two runs at Kansas State.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Lou was the coach for St. Johns basketball for years. After coaching there he was coach for the New York Nets of the ABA. I was blessed to have lunch with Coach Carnesecca along with Pogo Joe Caldwell and Bones McKinney one day. He was a very nice fellow. Somehow a friend that had a working relationship with our own Carolina Cougars got me a job of keeping count of rebounds during the preseason. A job that kept me from being able to really enjoy the game. I gave that job up after one preseason. However I was still able to meet some great people like Bob Verga, Billy Cunningham(coach & player), Doug Moe, Pogo, Bones McKinney, Mike Lewis, Gene Littles, and Larry Miller to name just a few. Coach Carnesecca made a good impression on this young man. Now back to your regular scheduled broadcast.

GoDuke!
    Louie still comes to campus often. He’s a god around here - and deservedly so.

The B-School (Tobin) is almost next door to Carnesecca Arena so I see him regularly.

In an interesting bit of history repeating itself, University of Texas has a new Women's Basketball coach, and it's a national finalist from 2 years ago: this time Mississippi State's Vic Schaefer.

So I guess Duke isn't the only one to lose such a coach to the Texas Athletic behemoth.
    <devildeac> anyone playing drinking games by now?
    7:49:36<Wander> drink every qb run?
    7:49:38<loran16> umm, drink every time asack rushes?
    7:49:38<wolfybeard> @devildeac: drink when Asack runs a keeper
    7:49:39 PM<CB&B> any time zack runs, drink

Carolina Delenda Est

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post
    In an interesting bit of history repeating itself, University of Texas has a new Women's Basketball coach, and it's a national finalist from 2 years ago: this time Mississippi State's Vic Schaefer.

So I guess Duke isn't the only one to lose such a coach to the Texas Athletic behemoth.
    wow.
    1200. DDMF.

Quote Originally Posted by loran16 View Post

According to twitter... Miss State matched the salary offer that Texas put on the table. I read that the previous Texas coach was getting around 800K... Schaefer was making twice that at Miss State.

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    According to twitter... Miss State matched the salary offer that Texas put on the table. I read that the previous Texas coach was getting around 800K... Schaefer was making twice that at Miss State.
    Lessee... Is this a question of Starkville MS versus Austin TX?
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I mean, that's enough. But man, add in the resources and fan base and recruiting potential of UT, and getting out from under the shadow of other SEC programs, and yeah...

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    I mean, that's enough. But man, add in the resources and fan base and recruiting potential of UT, and getting out from under the shadow of other SEC programs, and yeah...
    All possible reasons.

...Or maybe he doesn't want to share an office building with Mike Leach anymore?

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    I'll point out that Texas waited until Karen Aston's contract expired to ask her not to return (not a firing, just not a new contract?), and they've got money. So I'd expect the same decision next year for us, renew or not renew, but not a firing between now and then.

I think this is the only P6 job that has changed without an advanced announcement (Villanova's was planned.) Very unusual, to go with the times.

(Obviously, Miss. St. is now a second.)

Schaefer is an Austin native. UT broke ground on a new basketball arena last december, so Schaefer will only have to deal with the crime against architecture that is the Erwin Center for a maximum of two seasons.

True, but there is one important detail

Karen Aston, the previous coach, had a 1-18 record against Baylor, so the Lady Longhorns have to get out from one huge shadow in the Big 12.

It’s no coincidence that Vic Shaefer, the new coach, has been an assistant at Sam Houston State and Texas A&M. Texas clearly did not want to hire someone with no experience recruiting in the state of a Texas, something that really hurt Coach G.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    Karen Aston, the previous coach, had a 1-18 record against Baylor, so the Lady Longhorns have to get out from one huge shadow in the Big 12.

It’s no coincidence that Vic Shaefer, the new coach, has been an assistant at Sam Houston State and Texas A&M. Texas clearly did not want to hire someone with no experience recruiting in the state of a Texas, something that really hurt Coach G.
    Yeah I thought about mentioning Baylor, and they're a challenge for any other Big 12 coach. But all you're doing for this coach is trading South Carolina for Baylor (and South Carolina may be even stronger). There were three other SEC teams in the last (not final) AP poll; for the Big 12, zero.

Haley Gorecki recaps her time at Duke, including the many injuries and disappointing end to her career. We're going to miss her next season.

https://spark.adobe.com/page/Z71UtPFA8TUeD/

Don't know how to embed tweets on here, but Azana Baines has entered the transfer portal

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status...40648608956416

Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Don't know how to embed tweets on here, but Azana Baines has entered the transfer portal

https://twitter.com/Raoul_000/status...40648608956416
    Wow. Really bad news.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Wow. Really bad news.
    And just shortly after the announcement confirming the commitment of 2021 recruit Lauren Walker. Azana projected as a starter next year, with Kyra's transfer (and maybe even without it), and outside of Boykin, she was really our only dynamic creator. This is very harsh.

I wonder how Duke handles the coaching situation. I would hope that by the end of summer and the remaining 2020 recruiting window that Duke can see clear to announce a new coach well ahead of time. I don't expect them to eat the last year of McCallie's contract, but we need the benefit of a head coach actively recruiting at this point. The cupboard is pretty bare, and I think we'll be better off just acknowledging that next year is going to be a throw-away season.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    And just shortly after the announcement confirming the commitment of 2021 recruit Lauren Walker. Azana projected as a starter next year, with Kyra's transfer (and maybe even without it), and outside of Boykin, she was really our only dynamic creator. This is very harsh.

I wonder how Duke handles the coaching situation. I would hope that by the end of summer and the remaining 2020 recruiting window that Duke can see clear to announce a new coach well ahead of time. I don't expect them to eat the last year of McCallie's contract, but we need the benefit of a head coach actively recruiting at this point. The cupboard is pretty bare, and I think we'll be better off just acknowledging that next year is going to be a throw-away season.
    Is Lauren Walker a preferred walk on or a recruit?
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    Is Lauren Walker a preferred walk on or a recruit?
    Recruit. This is her Twitter account.