Page 38 of 76 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I thought that quote was a bit odd, especially if you saw the injury. She busted her azz, and possibly bumped her head on the Clemson player's knee, but the head bump didn't look nearly as bad as the butt hitting the floor. I was worried she nailed her tailbone. I was not surprised at all to see her come right back in, though. At least not from a "head injury" standpoint.
    I saw it live and that was my assessment as well.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

I thought that quote was a bit odd, especially if you saw the injury. She busted her azz, and possibly bumped her head on the Clemson player's knee, but the head bump didn't look nearly as bad as the butt hitting the floor. I was worried she nailed her tailbone. I was not surprised at all to see her come right back in, though. At least not from a "head injury" standpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by chrishoke View Post
    I saw it live and that was my assessment as well.
    Glad to hear.

In any case, disappointing by the chron for suggesting she was playing with a concussion and that it signifies toughness.
    April 1

sugh a generous offer for trinity employees

"Dean Ashby is pleased to offer you complimentary tickets to attend one (sic) of the following upcoming Women’s Basketball games."

I guess they couldn't scrounge enough tickets to offer both? Or maybe they think demand will be so high that they will run out?

I get that there is a cost associated as there might be some employees who might otherwise buy tickets, and perhaps they can entice one to attend the other game...but the emphasis on one just comes across strangely. Like they expect a rush of people running over to allen demanding tickets to both games who wouldn't have gone. Given that they had plenty of tickets to football v ND when I grabbed some free ones, I'm skeptical.

In any case, I can attend neither and hope that perhaps this enables someone goes who might not have otherwise.
    April 1

A very honest look at Leaonna Odom from The Chronicle.

https://www.dukechronicle.com/articl...clemson-tigers
    That is simultaneously a brutally honest and pretty fair assessment.

One-on-one, Odom has the ability to take any defender off the dribble and elevate and score in the paint or mid-range. But there are games where her passivity is on full display.

She can take over any game -- hence her WNBA potential. Or she can disappear for large stretches.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by CamrnCrz1974 View Post
    That is simultaneously a brutally honest and pretty fair assessment.

One-on-one, Odom has the ability to take any defender off the dribble and elevate and score in the paint or mid-range. But there are games where her passivity is on full display.

She can take over any game -- hence her WNBA potential. Or she can disappear for large stretches.
    You don't often see announcers get personal, but during the Clemson game they mentioned how at times Odom appears to have no interest in being on the court. I think that comment segued into those referenced in the article about how she's a senior now, and at that age "potential" has morphed into who she is as a player. IE, she is now what she will be.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

You don't often see announcers get personal, but during the Clemson game they mentioned how at times Odom appears to have no interest in being on the court. I think that comment segued into those referenced in the article about how she's a senior now, and at that age "potential" has morphed into who she is as a player. IE, she is now what she will be.
    Maybe that comes from playing for four years under P. I know it that's a terrible reason and the other players don't look to have that attitude.

GoDuke!

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Glad to hear.

In any case, disappointing by the chron for suggesting she was playing with a concussion and that it signifies toughness.
    The article, itself, was largely disappointing. It reminded me of the Laura Keeley expose of the fball team in the N and O-which landed her in hot water. Keeley tried to appear edgy, and it completely backfired. This one may be a bit more positive than that particular “ masterpiece”. It almost feels like Odom was interviewed and the reporter just half-baked something around the quotes. Shades of grading the players that we see from time to time every year.

I can’t really imagine Leanna wanting anything to do with The Chron after this screed.

Actually Debbie Antonelli said that in the Notre Dame game. She's always comes across as harsh and extra critical when doing Duke games.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by triaddukefan View Post
    Actually Debbie Antonelli said that in the Notre Dame game. She's always comes across as harsh and extra critical when doing Duke games.
    Knew it was one of the recent two.
    Debbie can truly be a downer.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The ladies are looking good so far. Roughly half our points have come on the break, and we are up after one quarter, 21-11.

Edit: Actually checking official stats, it seems only six of our points have come on the break, but we have 12 off turnovers. Close enough. The point being, our offense is coming directly from our defense, which means our pace is very high. It looks good.

I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    A good start up in Syracuse, Duke up 21-11 after one. (Yes, we scored 21 points in one quarter!)

Defense has been very good, and the offense has taken advantage of turnovers and bad shots by running the court. For all her other issues, Jade can really get down quickly to receive a quick pass and bucket.

ETA, Phredd3, you beat me to the keyboard again! Wonder if we’re the only ones watching.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    Wonder if we’re the only ones watching.
    The number is getting smaller and smaller as the season grinds on and we aren't winning games.

I guess Odom must have read that Chronicle article

I saw Leaonna smile!!!

Ladies are looking really good. Where's this team been? (Please don't let me regret that optimism by the 4th quarter.)

I saw Leaonna smile!!!
    It was an ironic smile reacting to the trip, but OK, that counts. We've gotten a bit sloppier in this quarter. I hope we can continue playing this pace without wasting possessions.

Boykin 3rd 3pointer of the half

Boykin bombs!

We are winning the battle of the boards.

Make that four... WELL 5 NOW