Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

A Modest Suggestion for the Pelicans

The Dukies in the NBA thread is ruined beyond repair, so I'm going to post this NBA related thought here. What about the Pelicans going after JJ Redick? They really, really need a great shooter and with the excellent defensive players they already have they could easily make up for any deficiencies in that area (which are a bit overblown in my opinion anyway.)

Quote Originally Posted by rocketeli View Post
    The Dukies in the NBA thread is ruined beyond repair, so I'm going to post this NBA related thought here. What about the Pelicans going after JJ Redick? They really, really need a great shooter and with the excellent defensive players they already have they could easily make up for any deficiencies in that area (which are a bit overblown in my opinion anyway.)
    I'd been thinking about him for the Lakers as well, though certainly not as the ultra star LBJ is looking for...but who wants the drama of playing for that mess (and it will be a mess).

Here's a key factor...Redick lives in Brooklyn with his wife and kids, near some of her family...kids go to preschool i believe...it is VERY unlikely he will stray far from there, this year he commuted to Philadelphia, not that far, really.

So I would strongly suspect he will find something close by...the Nyets seem to be on the rise right in his back yard, or he could re-up with Philly...hopefully he avoids The Nix...given domestic tranquility, I think he stays close to home, even if it means giving up some money...the twelve million he earned last year was solid, no reason for him to get greedy. I think Elton Brand will see him as a bargain...

While I think JJ would be perfect in LA (Pelicans to some extent, they could use a veteran for all the young guys), he's not leaving the east coast. He either ends up with Brooklyn, the Knicks or the 76ers for less money than last year. As budwom pointed out, he has strong ties to Brooklyn and I remember listening to his podcast and hearing that he also purchased a home in Brooklyn.

Quote Originally Posted by BeachBlueDevil View Post
    While I think JJ would be perfect in LA (Pelicans to some extent, they could use a veteran for all the young guys), he's not leaving the east coast. He either ends up with Brooklyn, the Knicks or the 76ers for less money than last year. As budwom pointed out, he has strong ties to Brooklyn and I remember listening to his podcast and hearing that he also purchased a home in Brooklyn.
    I mean... how do you know this? He used to play for the Clippers. It's not that crazy to see (ringless in college and the pros) JJ chase a championship with LeBron in LA

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    I mean... how do you know this? He used to play for the Clippers. It's not that crazy to see (ringless in college and the pros) JJ chase a championship with LeBron in LA
    I obviously don't know him but I've listened to many of his podcasts and he has at times opened up about his off-the-court life. Based on what's he's shared, I would agree that his preference would likely be to stay on the east coast. I wouldn't completely rule out a move to a farther destination, but I think it's a strong factor in his decision. He seems like a guy who's really committed to his family and he has said that the constant travel and being away from home is the hardest part of being an NBA player. He also said that he wouldn't consider a career in coaching because the time demands would be too much for his family life.

Weighing against that would be his desire to win a title (he has also spoken about how often he thinks about having never won a title at Duke and how much it weighs on him) plus the understanding that he may only get one more shot at a decent payday. If somebody out west offers him a multi-year deal, say 3yr/25mil, then he'd be pretty tempted to take that rather than the continued uncertainty of these one year deals.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I obviously don't know him but I've listened to many of his podcasts and he has at times opened up about his off-the-court life. Based on what's he's shared, I would agree that his preference would likely be to stay on the east coast. I wouldn't completely rule out a move to a farther destination, but I think it's a strong factor in his decision. He seems like a guy who's really committed to his family and he has said that the constant travel and being away from home is the hardest part of being an NBA player. He also said that he wouldn't consider a career in coaching because the time demands would be too much for his family life.
    Not too many players who have made $91 million in the NBA turn to coaching in college.

Patrick Ewing, who made $125 million and is now the coach at Georgetown, and Juwan Howard, who made $151 million and is coaching Michigan, being exceptions.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Generally speaking, veterans are motivated by a chance to win a title. We don't know JJ's priorities, but the Lakers do offer an interesting possibility including more $$. That said, so do the Sixers minus the extra money, but that is where his priorities come in. A Kyrie - JJ backcourt with the Nets would be fun too. I don't see him wanting to go with a start-up like New Orleans that is far from home and offers no shot at a title in the short run. I just think it is cool that he has worked himself into a solid professional and carved out a very nice career for himself exceeding so many others that looked like sure things. I wonder if he ever thinks about having that LSU game back knowing what he knows now.

The Dukies in the NBA thread is ruined beyond repair
    Since I started the Dukies in the NBA thread should I take the sabotage as a personal insult. It’s quite absurd what happened. Or is it some kind of Russian interference with the democracy of DBR?
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    Since I started the Dukies in the NBA thread should I take the sabotage as a personal insult. It’s quite absurd what happened. Or is it some kind of Russian interference with the democracy of DBR?
    Nah, just summertime boredom. Threads tend to drift.

BTW I also saw a report that the Sixers are trying to sign Danny Green. I would think this would affect Redick as they play a similar role as floor spacers. Green has a reputation as being a great defender, though honestly I didn’t see it in the Finals. Redick also moves without the ball so much better, Green is more of a stand around in the corner kind of guy.

Agree 100%

Too bold and speculative for me.

As UrinalCake mentions, I have also heard JJ speak on how often he thinks about having never won a title at Duke and how much it weighs on him. I'd give him just as good a chance to sign with LAL as with the Knicks.

BTW I also saw a report that the Sixers are trying to sign Danny Green. I would think this would affect Redick as they play a similar role as floor spacers. Green has a reputation as being a great defender, though honestly I didn’t see it in the Finals. Redick also moves without the ball so much better, Green is more of a stand around in the corner kind of guy.
    It sounds like several teams will be competing the same pool of shooters. Woj mentioned Seth Curry, Green, and JJ as potential Lakers targets to help them fill out their roster with some shooting. I'm just really happy for JJ --- he turns 35 next week and there's still a robust market for his talents and leadership. Not a lot of NBA players even make it to that age let alone have competition for their services.

I seem to recall part of his diet change and commitment to his body was giving up Bojangles in college. Who would have thought then that no more chicken and biscuits in college would help contribute to NBA career longevity at 35?

...wish someone had told me at 19/20 to give up Bojangles but she's a cunning mistress and I'm easily seduced.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Not too many players who have made $91 million in the NBA turn to coaching in college.

Patrick Ewing, who made $125 million and is now the coach at Georgetown, and Juwan Howard, who made $151 million and is coaching Michigan, being exceptions.
    You sure bout that?

e73a8e9055f2f18b81417f4fadc44d77.jpg
    Last edited by SupaDave; 06-18-2019 at 12:27 PM.

TL;DR, but does this thread advocate eating small Irish children? Hoping not.

I suspect they go hard after Lance Thomas.

Jk

the best thing the pelicans can do is move the team and not tell lavar. lol

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    TL;DR, but does this thread advocate eating small Irish children? Hoping not.
    doff of the literary cap to you, sir.

I like this thread but can we please rename it the Pelican Brief with a pic of Julia?

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    What's saying he can't win with the 76ers? We saw a Raptors team with less talent (but the right pieces) win a title. The 6ers having Embiid and Simmons are a great start to a title. If Simmons can develop a jumper, he'd be pretty close to one of the most dominant players in the game. Embiid, while I'm not a fan of him, you can't deny his talent and if they can keep Butler and Harris, they have to be a favorite to win the east. Even if they keep just one, they still have to be a favorite.

What's saying he can't win with the 76ers? We saw a Raptors team with less talent (but the right pieces) win a title. The 6ers having Embiid and Simmons are a great start to a title. If Simmons can develop a jumper, he'd be pretty close to one of the most dominant players in the game. Embiid, while I'm not a fan of him, you can't deny his talent and if they can keep Butler and Harris, they have to be a favorite to win the east. Even if they keep just one, they still have to be a favorite.
    How do the Raptors have less talent? Kawhi is the best player out of the bunch, and that goes a long way in the NBA. Particularly when you have the right pieces to surround him.
    Carolina delenda est