Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wimbledon 2019

Coco advances again, fighting off a few match points in the second set. Amazing to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Coco advances again, fighting off a few match points in the second set. Amazing to watch.
    She IS tough and has ice water in her veins! Plus, I love the mother.

If you haven't seen this penultimate point from the Pella / Anderson match, well, it was worth the price of admission.

Demented and sad, but social, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post
    If you haven't seen this penultimate point from the Pella / Anderson match, well, it was worth the price of admission.

"Are you sure it's not Pella vs. Andersen?" wondered everyone in the window manufacturing industry.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue in the Face View Post

But that clip only had one glimpse of Guido's fiancée, which alone is worth the price of admission.

If you tennis players get all excited about rallies at the net like that, you really should try pickleball. No exaggeration, we'll have a rally like that at least once every day we play.

No tennis today on "Middle Sunday", but it all sets up perhaps the best day of tennis every year tomorrow: "Manic Monday," when both men's and women's draws play all their Sweet 16 matches. I'll take a look at some futures odds in my next couple of posts.

Here are the remaining 16 men and their odds to win Wimbledon.

Some notes:
    - Novak is the favorite against the field.
    - American Querrey is actually the 5th-favorite in the tournament right now. But yeah, they're all considered longshots after the Big 3.

Here are the final 16 Ladies and their odds of winning Wimbledon:

It's always strange to see Serena as the third-favorite for Wimbledon, but recent form has to be accounted for.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Here are the remaining 16 men and their odds to win Wimbledon.

Some notes:
    - Novak is the favorite against the field.
    - American Querrey is actually the 5th-favorite in the tournament right now. But yeah, they're all considered longshots after the Big 3.

I get that Novak being the favorite against the field is mainly about the top of the draw being much easier and him having an easier road to the finals (and he’s a great, great player!), but if I were making a bet I’d be tempted to take the field against him.

Not confident enough to put a pie on the line, but enough to put a post out there. 🤪. I just think when you can get the field you go for it.

However, before I can even hit ‘Submit’ I realize I believe the prospects of him making the final in my mind are like 85%, so if and when he does, would I favor him significantly in the final? Yes.

So disregard what I said. 🤨

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    I get that Novak being the favorite against the field is mainly about the top of the draw being much easier and him having an easier road to the finals (and he’s a great, great player!), but if I were making a bet I’d be tempted to take the field against him.

Not confident enough to put a pie on the line, but enough to put a post out there. 🤪. I just think when you can get the field you go for it.

However, before I can even hit ‘Submit’ I realize I believe the prospects of him making the final in my mind are like 85%, so if and when he does, would I favor him significantly in the final? Yes.

So disregard what I said. 🤨
    We had a very similar thought process and ending conclusion, my friend, upon looking at the odds.

I do think Bautista Agut could give Novak a really tough match, but unfortunately Bautista Agut has never beaten Raonic and then Raonic has never beaten Novak. It's all about the matchups sometimes. But if the players are right about the grass being slow, maybe B-A can get his first win over Raonic.

What a difference a day makes to the women's odds!

After an upset-filled Manic Monday, with the biggest upset being American Alison Riske taking out the previously dominant Barty, Serena is now the favorite to win her 24th slam. Tomorrow she plays Riske, who has a classy grass game, as the Brits would say. Still, if Serena plays at a high level, none of the girls remaining should be able to beat her, even on slow grass.

What a difference a day makes to the women's odds!

After an upset-filled Manic Monday, with the biggest upset being American Alison Riske taking out the previously dominant Barty, Serena is now the favorite to win her 24th slam. Tomorrow she plays Riske, who has a classy grass game, as the Brits would say. Still, if Serena plays at a high level, none of the girls remaining should be able to beat her, even on slow grass.
    I'll be interested to see if Serena smells blood in the waters that have been parted for her and raises her game today. Riske is a good grasscourt player with her volleys and flat shots to the corners.

Wow, Querrey was broken twice in every set by Rafa today in a 3-set drubbing. I'm not sure that could've happened on fast grass. All good. I'm looking forward to seeing Federer-Nadal again at Wimbledon.

Men's semis should be some fun tennis.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Wow, Querrey was broken twice in every set by Rafa today in a 3-set drubbing. I'm not sure that could've happened on fast grass. All good. I'm looking forward to seeing Federer-Nadal again at Wimbledon.
    Should be spectacular. Hopefully Nadal doesn't break down, because if the grass is playing extra-slow, this is one of the few chances we will get to see both guys in an uber-competitive match. Fed can't threaten Nadal on clay, Nadal can't seem to stay healthy on hardcourts.

Bautista-Agut might give Djokovic some run on a slow grass surface, so that could be fun. But the Fed/Nadal match could be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    Should be spectacular. Hopefully Nadal doesn't break down, because if the grass is playing extra-slow, this is one of the few chances we will get to see both guys in an uber-competitive match. Fed can't threaten Nadal on clay, Nadal can't seem to stay healthy on hardcourts.

Bautista-Agut might give Djokovic some run on a slow grass surface, so that could be fun. But the Fed/Nadal match could be fantastic.
    I cannot believe it has been over 10 years since Nadal - Federer at Wimby.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I cannot believe it has been over 10 years since Nadal - Federer at Wimby.
    And 20 majors won between them since that match (13 for Nadal as he was entering his prime; 7 for Fed as he was nearing the end of his prime).

With how slow the grass is playing and how good he's looked, I'm thinking Nadal in 4. (4 really good, competitive, fun sets, mind you).

If Fed wins, he'll do it by having a fantastic serving day. Even if this isn't typical grass, if you hit the corners of the service box over and over again, your serve will be effective. Fed's one of the few in the world that can maybe pull off 3-4 hours of pinpoint serving. Querrey served huge but he couldn't get the placement right, and Rafa got too many returns back.

Serena is so close now. She just has to overpower Strycova in the semi that's been played now, and then she has a 9-1 head to head record against Halep in the final. If Serena can't close here, one might have to wonder whether she's ever going to win another Slam.

With how slow the grass is playing and how good he's looked, I'm thinking Nadal in 4. (4 really good, competitive, fun sets, mind you).

If Fed wins, he'll do it by having a fantastic serving day. Even if this isn't typical grass, if you hit the corners of the service box over and over again, your serve will be effective. Fed's one of the few in the world that can maybe pull off 3-4 hours of pinpoint serving. Querrey served huge but he couldn't get the placement right, and Rafa got too many returns back.

Agree with you on the above, Trouble. Need a big serving day for Fed. I feel he’s a slight underdog. What do your bookmakers, say?