Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The movie will have one small impact at least. One of the first comments I saw to an article about the blackout in Manhattan this weekend was : "Quick- everyone still remembers the Beatles right?"

As of this morning, Yesterday has grossed 89.5 million worldwide, 53.5 million US. Not bad for a flic that had very little publicity prior to its release. Could hit 100 million before its run ends. At this point it's a winner.

Updated to 98.2 million. So, does that make it a winner now? Almost certainly will go over 100 m. That is worldwide of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Updated to 98.2 million. So, does that make it a winner now? Almost certainly will go over 100 m. That is worldwide of course.
    Yup, like most Danny Boyle films, it will make money. Maybe not a mint, but it will make money.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by gus View Post
    The movie will have one small impact at least. One of the first comments I saw to an article about the blackout in Manhattan this weekend was : "Quick- everyone still remembers the Beatles right?"
    I had not heard that, that is funny. The movie made me smile and that did too.

Well, as of today it stands at 100.3 million worldwide. Not too shabby for a movie that wasn't promoted like many others were. And with the weekend upon us, gonna predict 104 million by Monday.
    Like the Lion King. Cannot turn on the TV without seeing that one pimped all over the place, and that being said, I would like to see it myself. You know I am a big fan of wildlife, and with the computer generated effects here making the animals look real I admit it's a must see. But I would change it a bit. Let's have the Lion King win his crown, then have a circus going through the area lose a big Bengal tiger in Simba's territory. No more Lion King...lol
    Last edited by Devilwin; 07-26-2019 at 07:13 AM.

Last update. 119 million worldwide. A success no matter how it's sliced..

I'm a sucker for sentimental British romantic comedies, esp. those written by Richard Curtis.

That includes Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones Diary, Love Actually, and now Yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post
    I'm a sucker for sentimental British romantic comedies, esp. those written by Richard Curtis.

That includes Four Weddings and a Funeral, Notting Hill, Bridget Jones Diary, Love Actually, and now Yesterday.
    Ummm, you left out his second best film, About Time.

-Jason "Four Weddings is his best movie" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I went to see it Yesterday with a friend. She thought it was cute (she's too young to know many of the Beatles songs). I really enjoyed it. The surprise visitor near the end was very nice. Kate McKinnon, I thought, did a great job as the promoter.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by roywhite View Post

You hit three of my favorite movies. (My son thinks I’m a 16-year-old girl.) Love Actually number one, Notting Hill number two, and Four Weddings number three. I sit and watch each of these and recite the lines along with the characters. I think I have a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    You hit three of my favorite movies. (My son thinks I’m a 16-year-old girl.) Love Actually number one, Notting Hill number two, and Four Weddings number three. I sit and watch each of these and recite the lines along with the characters. I think I have a problem.
    Love Actually is my guilty pleasure. The insecurities and imperfections of each character are wonderfully written and acted. The relationship between Liam Neeson and his character's step son is my favorite, notifying the son that if Claudia Schiffer comes over, the kid will have to leave because they'll be "doing it" in every room in the house, only to have Claudia to play his love interest for the happy ending. The Red Nose reunion of the majority of the characters was well done.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Love Actually is my guilty pleasure. The insecurities and imperfections of each character are wonderfully written and acted. The relationship between Liam Neeson and his character's step son is my favorite, notifying the son that if Claudia Schiffer comes over, the kid will have to leave because they'll be "doing it" in every room in the house, only to have Claudia to play his love interest for the happy ending. The Red Nose reunion of the majority of the characters was well done.
    It doesn't even have to be a guilty pleasure...that movie is just good.

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    It doesn't even have to be a guilty pleasure...that movie is just good.
    My high opinion of Duke basketball fans has been reaffirmed!

Saw Love Actually in the theater when it came out in 2003. It's become a Christmas tradition for roywhite and family; watch it a few times around Christmas and occasionally peek at it during the year. Lots of classic scenes -- I think my favorite is when 11-year old Olivia Olson as Joanna busts into All I Want for Christmas is You and the adults in the audience sit in amazement with mouths agape.