Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Yesterday (Beatles movie) review

Well... I mean... it isn't awful.

Here is my podcast review about Danny Boyle's new film, Yesterday, which is cute and pleasant and paper thin. It just doesn't have anything meaningful to say about romance or responsibity or art or music. It isn't bad, but it isn't all that good either. If you temper your expectations, you will probably enjoy it.

https://soundcloud.com/jason-evans-1...bout-yesterday

-Jason "it is getting ridiculous how much Josh and I agree about the movies we review... sheesh!!" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm listening to the podcast as I type. Thanks for posting the link as Yesterday is a film I intend to head to the theater and watch.
    Bob Green

Shoot. I thought it looked promising.

I had hopes.

I will probably still go. I have a free movie pass.

I think it still might be good...there is room out there for fun, cute movies without much depth. Not everything has to be profound or about something bigger than itself (in fact, I feel like film and TV taking itself too seriously in the last decade or so has been a somewhat understandable development).

I’ll will be going as well. Just because it’s the Beatles.

As I said in the pod, it isn’t a bad movie and you will likely enjoy it while watching it. I think that diminished expectations may make it even better for many of you than it was for me. I just don’t think it will stick with you and feel as meaningful as it could have with a more thoughtful script and execution.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Hey dude...not cool.

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Me too. Gonna make up my own mind. Been dying to see it for months. Can't be any worse than some of the trash ranked above it..

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    This is why it was made. To take your money because you like the Beatles.

I love the Beatles too, but don't be a sucker. This movie has nothing to do with the Beatles. Just like if they reboot Goonies, or whatever... it has nothing to do with the original you love. The movie bigwigs are banking on the power of nostalgia and laughing all the way to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

I love the Beatles too, but don't be a sucker. This movie has nothing to do with the Beatles. Just like if they reboot Goonies, or whatever... it has nothing to do with the original you love. The movie bigwigs are banking on the power of nostalgia and laughing all the way to the bank.
    It must have something to with the Beatles, perhaps their music is mentioned in passing?

In any event I can't wait until "Hey Dude" is released.

I liked it..Beatle fans like me will like it. Good story line. Maybe a bit too much soppy romance for my tastes, but hey, the music was good and I loved the story. Got to see it at least once..

Holy cups and cakes! Based on the trailer, the concept struck me as something a 7th grader would think up. High concept? Seems like an excuse to indulge the adolescent fantasy of being a jukebox hero, but worse, because it's via musical plagiarism.

Oh, and it's also an excuse to play Beatles songs (great minds think alike). I'm sure it'll make some dough as retirement-age Beatles fans will bring their grandchildren to the movies and try to convince them that the music of their day was better.

JMO.

If I didn't know better, I would think that the day the music died happened in 1964 rather than 1959.

Saw several teenagers there with their Beatles gear on. And I believe the 60's was the Golden Age of Rock..

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post

I disagree. It has a lot to do with the Beatles. Have you seen it yet?

I enjoyed it. Even my wife who was/is no Beatles fan even commented “I forgot how many good songs they wrote.” Romance drags a bit, but an enjoyable day in the theatre, and out of the 95+ temps.

Saw Yesterday today and enjoyed it. It wasn’t a masterpiece, but it was a pleasant day at the cinema.

Can we do spoilers yet?

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Saw Yesterday today and enjoyed it. It wasn’t a masterpiece, but it was a pleasant day at the cinema.

Can we do spoilers yet?
    If I see Yesterday tomorrow, is that Today?

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    If I see Yesterday tomorrow, is that Today?
    I don't know. You be the judge:

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.