Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueDevil16 View Post
    Feel like Hurt could be playing himself into the first round after his recent performances. Still will need a lot of work to make it at that level, but someone might take him and let him develop for a few years.
    The question for Hurt will always be strength/athleticism. He doesn’t have the athleticism to play the NBA 3 spot. Arguably doesn’t have the athleticism nor the length for the 4 spot. The shooting touch will translate. But can he handle the rest of the pro game?

Quote Originally Posted by stickdog View Post
    Amazing. How incredibly fortunate are we as Duke fans to have the pleasure of watching -- and the honor of being represented by -- these immensely talented young men who consistently exhibit a team-first attitude and fine sportsmanship?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I think Stanley is more likely to leave than Moore because he has NBA athleticism and will look great at the combine and someone will take a chance on him. I know we've talked a lot about his age, that might be a small factor but ultimately it comes down to a.) where each player would be drafted and b.) how much they stand to gain or lose by returning to school. Moore doesn't do any one thing at an elite level, he's a versatile player but not someone who will draw a lot of attention from NBA scouts.

Hurt is kind of a mystery, he's all over the draft boards. I'd say he's 50/50 to go at this point, but I tend to overestimate the likelihood of players coming back.
    I would not be surprised either way (stay or go) with Stanley or Hurt. The challenge I see for both of them is that their biggest “faults” are less correctable than say Tre (shooting) or Wendell (decision making and finishing). Stanley is not getting bigger and Hurt is not suddenly getting much more athletic. I’d assume that if they show enough to get a first round guarantee, they’d both go, but if not they’d do a Tre and give it 1 more year.

Wendell on the other hand might be even better served to stay so he got one more year of skill development to maximize both his draft slot and his chance to hit the ground running in the NBA.

Cole Anthony is down to 7 in SI’s latest mock. The injury obviously isn’t his fault, but there is now some questions over how good he really was prior to the injury. If he keeps slipping, I wonder if that motivates him to come back and play in order to restore his preseason top-3 status. There’s still a big difference between being picked #3 versus being picked #7.

On the Duke front, Carey checks in at #21. Nobody else is in the first round.

https://www.si.com/nba/2020/01/07/nb...-james-wiseman

Cole Anthony is down to 7 in SI’s latest mock. The injury obviously isn’t his fault, but there is now some questions over how good he really was prior to the injury. If he keeps slipping, I wonder if that motivates him to come back and play in order to restore his preseason top-3 status. There’s still a big difference between being picked #3 versus being picked #7.

I think Jeremy Woo is undervaluing both Carey and Hurt. When you're playing limited minutes with so many other talented players, your stats don't reflect your talent and potential. I expect Carey to be a top 15 pick (maybe top 10) and Hurt to be a first rounder when it's all said and done.

Although certainly possible, it is hard to imagine a guy returning to school after missing significant time AND being a projected lottery pick. Anthony seems like a guy who wants to get to the league as fast as possible given his lineage. Plus, I’d think he risks showing more shortcomings rather than improving his stock with another year under Roy...

And what's up with 3 Arizona guys as top 18 picks? Is JW drinking the Zona koolaid or is Sean Miller severely undercoaching his team in a "down year" of college basketball? They are ranked #24.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by SkyBrickey View Post
    And what's up with 3 Arizona guys as top 18 picks? Is JW drinking the Zona koolaid or is Sean Miller severely undercoaching his team in a "down year" of college basketball? They are ranked #24.
    We've had teams like that. In 2017 we had Giles, Tatum, Jackson and Allen, and were ranked 21st at the end of January. We started the season at #1, finished at #7.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    We've had teams like that. In 2017 we had Giles, Tatum, Jackson and Allen, and were ranked 21st at the end of January. We started the season at #1, finished at #7.
    Only because of ridiculous injury issues

Quote Originally Posted by AGDukesky View Post
    Although certainly possible, it is hard to imagine a guy returning to school after missing significant time AND being a projected lottery pick. Anthony seems like a guy who wants to get to the league as fast as possible given his lineage. Plus, I’d think he risks showing more shortcomings rather than improving his stock with another year under Roy...
    Except his dad wants Cole to get the education he never got😂

I doubt being at 7 would change his decision. He is a high lottery pick and will make his big money on the second contract. These guys get shoe contracts as well. Yes he loses 4-6M but he could get another knee injury and that will be that. He is going as long as he is in the lottery. He would be smart not to come back to UNC- if he underperforms due to nagging pain or incomplete recovery- he could fall even more. Zion did not have surgery when injured. Anthony has a built in excuse to wait it out.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post
    I would not be surprised either way (stay or go) with Stanley or Hurt. The challenge I see for both of them is that their biggest “faults” are less correctable than say Tre (shooting) or Wendell (decision making and finishing). Stanley is not getting bigger and Hurt is not suddenly getting much more athletic. I’d assume that if they show enough to get a first round guarantee, they’d both go, but if not they’d do a Tre and give it 1 more year.

Wendell on the other hand might be even better served to stay so he got one more year of skill development to maximize both his draft slot and his chance to hit the ground running in the NBA.
    Would be shocked to see any of these players at Duke next year:
    • Tre
    • Vernon
    • Cassius
    • Matthew

Would be surprised to see these guys:
    • Joey
    • Wendell
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    • Tre
    • Vernon
    • Cassius
    • Matthew

• Joey
    • Wendell
    You'll really be surprised if at least six players off this team leave for the NBA after this season? Even if Duke wins a national championship I'm pretty sure you'll end up both shocked and surprised. I won't say how shocked you'll be but I think you're going to be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by JayZee View Post

Some quibbles with the above in bold--though I agree with your conclusions that either Hurt or Stanley could come back.

Disagree about Hurt's athleticism. Yeah, he won't have a 50" vert in a year, but he can absolutely get stronger, in both upper and lower body, and can get better at sliding his feet quickly on defense. The NBA will love that he's tall and can shoot, but right now he lacks the strength to defend the post, or the quickness to defend the perimeter (at a professional level). More time to work on his body can make a difference there. He might be back, depending on his projections.

For Stanley, I disagree about the bolded part above--he can absolutely get bigger. Strength training is one of the things colleges do well in the offseason. The one thing he can't do is get any younger. And that might push him towards starting his pro career. But I don't think that's a foregone conclusion yet.

• Tre
    • Vernon
    • Cassius
    • Matthew

• Joey
    • Wendell
    What exactly has Joey Baker done to make you think he'll leave for the pros this season? He's averaging about 6 points a game, and is still only 19.

• Tre
    • Vernon
    • Cassius
    • Matthew

• Joey
    • Wendell
    Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    You'll really be surprised if at least six players off this team leave for the NBA after this season? Even if Duke wins a national championship I'm pretty sure you'll end up both shocked and surprised. I won't say how shocked you'll be but I think you're going to be very surprised.
    You are putting words in my mouth. I said I'd be surprised.

Shocked at the first list, with shocked being a high level, extreme reaction.

Surprised at the second list, with surprised being somewhat mild. I would categorize "very surprised" between "shocked" and "surprised" and I would not be very surprised to see Joey or Wendell back, just surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    What exactly has Joey Baker done to make you think he'll leave for the pros this season? He's averaging about 6 points a game, and is still only 19.
    He's been 6'7" and drained threes.

He has enrolled to play for Coach K, who will welcome 5 Star recruits Jeremy Roach, DJ Stewart, and Jalen Johnson, who (and we can nitpick Duke not playing positions, players having to earn PT in practice etc etc) are slated to play the 1-3 spots in 2020-21, which would leave Joey playing the same role next year.

I expect Joey to continue to hustle on D and try to make it as a 3 and D bench player at the next level. His best chance to shine will be this year, when he's only competing against Alex and Jordan (and Wendell when he's back) for PT. Next year he's still competing against Alex and Jordan, plus new guys and he's a year older and less "valuable" as a draft prospect.
    Hard at work making beautiful things.

NBAdraft.net 2020 mock draft, updated today:

Vernon Carey, Jr. (11)
    Tre Jones (40)
    Cassius Stanley (41)

NBAdraft.net 2021 mock draft, updated today:

Jonathan Kuminga (2) (odd that he is in this mock draft at all considering that he is currently a high school junior)
    Jalen Johnson (5)
    Wendell Moore (10)

In the NBAdraft.net world, I am a surprised to see Wendell Moore as a 2021 lottery pick, and can't help but think that there is at least a possibility that Tre and/or Cassius will consider coming back in 2021 if they are projected 2nd rounders in 2020. I also look forward to Matthew Hurt's junior year at Duke...
    "I don't like them when they are eating my azaleas or rhododendrons or pansies." - Coach K

Odd

Quote Originally Posted by gam7 View Post
    NBAdraft.net 2020 mock draft, updated today:

Vernon Carey, Jr. (11)
    Tre Jones (40)
    Cassius Stanley (41)

NBAdraft.net 2021 mock draft, updated today:

Jonathan Kuminga (2) (odd that he is in this mock draft at all considering that he is currently a high school junior)
    Jalen Johnson (5)
    Wendell Moore (10)

In the NBAdraft.net world, I am a surprised to see Wendell Moore as a 2021 lottery pick, and can't help but think that there is at least a possibility that Tre and/or Cassius will consider coming back in 2021 if they are projected 2nd rounders in 2020. I also look forward to Matthew Hurt's junior year at Duke...
    Odd that Moore would be 2021 #10 pick. If he’s got that much potential, why wouldn’t he be a first rounder this year? NBA drafts on potential.

Easiest for me just to assume that they’re all going as soon as possible.

The Athletic released a new mock this morning ($)

Carey - 21
    Jones - 23
    Hurt - 25
    Stanley - 48

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yes he loses 4-6M but he could get another knee injury and that will be that. He is going as long as he is in the lottery.
    I agree but saying the difference between being #3 in 2021 and #7 pick in 2020 is a "loss" of 4-6M is only part of the story because of course going in 2020 affords the player to make an additional years' salary/endorsements which is certainly in the millions. The time value and opportunity cost makes starting the NBA career a year earlier usually the wise move (assuming it's not going to impact their second contract and assuming their NBA "retirement age" would essentially be the same regardless of that decision).