Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FB: Wake Forest at Duke, cancelled

Seeing as I am a glutton for punishment, I will start the game thread. Duke is currently a five points underdog. Let’s keep it civil. Thanks.
    Bob Green

Question is will Duke Football compete. I am sure they have their pride at stake. The team's poor performances make me just guess they will lose by 21 points.Wake Forest has a better football program than Duke.

I will be glued to the TV screaming and yelling as always. This is a game where we don't have a talent deficit. It should be close, but unfortunately it likely will not be. These are two programs going in opposite directions. Our best hope is that WF comes in over confident and unprepared - very unlikely. They don't turn the ball over and have a tricky, varied offense that I fear will give us all kinds of problems. Unfortunately, I think Wake will easily cover the point spread - even without the normal Duke turnovers.
    "This is the best of all possible worlds."
    Dr. Pangloss - Candide

Jim Sumner article on front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...t-acc-football

Coach Cutcliffe disappointed in offensive and defensive line performance says bye week practice was physical.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Jim Sumner article on front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...t-acc-football

Coach Cutcliffe disappointed in offensive and defensive line performance says bye week practice was physical.
    Not to be too snarky, but I sure hope he's also (at least) somewhat disappointed in our QB play.

By the way, I believe this game is a true test of Ozzie's optimistic outlook/mettle. If he predicts a Duke win against the Demon Deacs, he's a bigger man than me. But speaking of mettle - I'd love to see this team show some, rise to the occasion and win at least 2 out of the last 3, and hopefully carry some momentum into next season. I don't believe that's asking for too much...is it?

Quote Originally Posted by peloton View Post
    Not to be too snarky, but I sure hope he's also (at least) somewhat disappointed in our QB play.

By the way, I believe this game is a true test of Ozzie's optimistic outlook/mettle. If he predicts a Duke win against the Demon Deacs, he's a bigger man than me. But speaking of mettle - I'd love to see this team show some, rise to the occasion and win at least 2 out of the last 3, and hopefully carry some momentum into next season. I don't believe that's asking for too much...is it?
    I NEVER expect us to lose a game. Never, ever.

Duke 38
    WF 31
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Duke needs to load the box, stop Wake’s running attack and force Hartman to beat us with his arm. That is my .02 cents defensive game plan.

The Demon Deacons have two productive running backs in Christian Beal-Smith (592 yds/107 carries) and Kenneth Walker III (579 yds/119 carries). Stopping the run to keep Wake behind the chains and in passing situations is a must.
    Bob Green

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Duke needs to load the box, stop Wake’s running attack and force Hartman to beat us with his arm. That is my .02 cents defensive game plan.

The Demon Deacons have two productive running backs in Christian Beal-Smith (592 yds/107 carries) and Kenneth Walker III (579 yds/119 carries). Stopping the run to keep Wake behind the chains and in passing situations is a must.
    With Duke's secondary, I'm sure Hartman is up for that challenge.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Some semblance of a Power 5 conference offense, producing sustained drives, culminating in touchdowns might also be a nice strategy in negating the Wake Forest offense.

Vic Dimukeje and Jake Bobo discuss the game. Jim’s take is on the front page:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com...-duke-football

The defense needs to create havoc. Offense needs explosive plays.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    Some semblance of a Power 5 conference offense, producing sustained drives, culminating in touchdowns might also be a nice strategy in negating the Wake Forest offense.
    Precisely...and why we probably don't have a prayer.

P.S. - I would like nothing more than to have a win this weekend validate a certain forum member's unbridled (and admirable) optimism concerning this game!

Quote Originally Posted by PDDuke85 View Post
    I was refraining from commenting on the offense but you’re spot on. It certainly would be nice to get the running game going and complete some downfield passes.
    Bob Green

WRAL breaking news Mrs. dd just showed me:

Duke-WFU game will not be played.

Lemme research this a bit more.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

https://goduke.com/news/2020/11/17/d...le-update.aspx

That came out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Thanks, Jim! I searched with just about every key word I possibly could for local sports/news sources and found nothing.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post

Duke football is on a roll. Five weeks with only one loss.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Since both teams have been eliminated from the championship game, there was not much reason to risk this by playing 12/19. This ends 54 consecutive years we've played Wake per the Game Notes.

Cutcliffe can breathe a sigh of relief ... no embarrassment this week.
    Should be an even match vs GT. Good news is their top-25 recruiting class will still be too young to play us.
    Duke 5 - UNC 4*

Well, it seems we were able to stop wake's running attack
    April 1

This is the way the season ends.
    Not with a bang, but a whimper.