Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I remember quite clearly in 2012, when the "Catholic 7" decided to peel off from the rest of the conference and form the new Big East, that UConn could have joined them if it wanted to, but the Huskies were not interested because it would mean their basketball and football teams would be in different conferences (because the BEast did not have football). To be clear, UConn had been national champs in 2011, one year earlier, and had made the Final Four in 2009, two years before that. They were widely considered one of the elite teams in the sport and most would have expected them to remain there for a while (it has not worked out that way, but no one foresaw that in 2012).

The idea that the new Big East -- which was full of teams who competed annually with UConn and were geographically close to UConn like StJ, SH, and Prov -- would have rejected UConn joining them in 2012 is absurd.

-Jason "UConn won a natty in 2012 and 2014... tying them with Duke and Villanova for the most titles in this decade" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

When this all started, Tangases was the commissioner and he talked all about the football revenue and that the 7 basketball, catholic schools needed to go on their own. When it all started the talk was about the 7 catholic schools and Norte Dame coming together. UConn was not invited nor considered. UConn made it clearp they wanted to get into the ACC for football and basketball. The articles that I have read, written by the catholic 7, they were clear they wanted the “Catholic” issue to take presidence. UConn was the leader of the football side and was very adversarial of the Catholic 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    When this all started, Tangases was the commissioner and he talked all about the football revenue and that the 7 basketball, catholic schools needed to go on their own. When it all started the talk was about the 7 catholic schools and Norte Dame coming together. UConn was not invited nor considered. UConn made it clearp they wanted to get into the ACC for football and basketball. The articles that I have read, written by the catholic 7, they were clear they wanted the “Catholic” issue to take presidence. UConn was the leader of the football side and was very adversarial of the Catholic 7.
    Um, no.

They were so very insistent to be Catholic that Butler joined them for the new Big East's inauguration...

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I remember quite clearly in 2012, when the "Catholic 7" decided to peel off from the rest of the conference and form the new Big East, that UConn could have joined them if it wanted to, but the Huskies were not interested because it would mean their basketball and football teams would be in different conferences (because the BEast did not have football). To be clear, UConn had been national champs in 2011, one year earlier, and had made the Final Four in 2009, two years before that. They were widely considered one of the elite teams in the sport and most would have expected them to remain there for a while (it has not worked out that way, but no one foresaw that in 2012).

The idea that the new Big East -- which was full of teams who competed annually with UConn and were geographically close to UConn like StJ, SH, and Prov -- would have rejected UConn joining them in 2012 is absurd.

-Jason "UConn won a natty in 2012 and 2014... tying them with Duke and Villanova for the most titles in this decade" Evans
    Kentucky won in 2012 with Anthony Davis... UCONN won in 2011 with Kemba Walker.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    only to the discussion of the payment of collegiate athletes, where this misconception is exhibit A.
    Some programs clearly can and I believe should pay their players and some clearly cannot. The dividing line between the haves and have nots 90+% of the time is the presence of a strong football program in a power 5 conference. If a football program(Texas A&M) generates a profit of over $100 million a year and the head coach(Jimbo) is making $7.5 million a year and the offensive coordinator makes $1.8 million a year, I have a problem with the players not getting a portion of that profit.

Screenshot 2019-07-28 at 6.39.32 PM.jpg

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrissm.../#6a5b68be6c64

https://247sports.com/college/texas-...hes-120238830/

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Um, no.

They were so very insistent to be Catholic that Butler joined them for the new Big East's inauguration...

-jk
    Butler, Xavier and Creighton came after Notre Dame backed out. But that illustrates how they still wanted to maintain the Christian, private school conference, not Catholic but Christian.

Butler, Xavier and Creighton came after Notre Dame backed out. But that illustrates how they still wanted to maintain the Christian, private school conference, not Catholic but Christian.
    From Wikipedia

Butler University was founded by members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), though it was never controlled by the church. The university charter called for "a non-sectarian institution free from the taint of slavery, offering instruction in every branch of liberal and professional education."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

If you read anything about Butler, Creighton and Xavier you will find the reference to Jesuit. Jesuit is a Christian reference. These 3 came after Norte Dame pulled out and they were left with the 7 Catholic schools from the Big East. I would ask anyone to show me proof of any public college that is linked to Jesuit. UConn lead the charge to separate the football from the non-football schools.

If you read anything about Butler, Creighton and Xavier you will find the reference to Jesuit. Jesuit is a Christian reference. These 3 came after Norte Dame pulled out and they were left with the 7 Catholic schools from the Big East. I would ask anyone to show me proof of any public college that is linked to Jesuit. UConn lead the charge to separate the football from the non-football schools.
    Butler is not a Jesuit school.

-jk

From the funny typo department: http://fbschedules.com/uconn-huskies...ependent-2020/

That's a modest ACC ROI (ca. $1M/yr) for taking Miami, VT, and BC from the Big East and only playing them 1 time in basketball at a neutral site. I'll complain more quietly about the loss of the round robin in football and basketball now.

Whether UConn will be FBS by the time we play them in 2023/2024 will linger in my mind. UConn is already on par with our Franks/Roof teams with the best G5 TV contract now.

Might be time to swap hills.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    Butler is not a Jesuit school.

-jk
    Ok, i’m Done with this. If you go to Butler University and scroll down you see a topic called “Center for Faith and Vocation.” Without reading anything else that should tell you they are a faith college. If you are going to argue that they are not you need to point to any public college that has that topic, “Faith.” Just read...

Ok, i’m Done with this. If you go to Butler University and scroll down you see a topic called “Center for Faith and Vocation.” Without reading anything else that should tell you they are a faith college. If you are going to argue that they are not you need to point to any public college that has that topic, “Faith.” Just read...
    duke has a "center for jewish life", which is why we have a synagogue in the middle of west campus and are generally considered a jewish school.
    1200. DDMF.

Butler was founded as North Western Christian University in 1855. In 1930 it merged with the Teacher's College of Indianapolis, and then had several subsequent mergers including with the Indianapolis College of Pharmacy during WWII.

The charter calls for "a non-sectarian institution free from the taint of slavery, offering instruction in every branch of liberal and professional education."

It is a private university, not public.

So it is like Duke in a lot of ways, growing out of Trinity College (a Methodist school) and becoming a non-sectarian private school.

Perhaps you would like to visit the web site of the Department of Religious Studies at UNC.

Really.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Perhaps you would like to visit the web site of the Department of Religious Studies at UNC.

Really.
    LOL, is it a Center of Religious Studies? That changes things a lot... education is important!

As jk noted, Butler is not a Jesuit school; furthermore, "faith based" does not equal Jesuit; and finally, if you go to their Butler.edu home page, they have a nice summary about their mission, academics, student life, etc, and "faith based" is not mentioned. As others have mentioned, just because they have a "center" hardly makes them a faith based college.

LOL, is it a Center of Religious Studies? That changes things a lot... education is important!
    And this one.
    Sage Grouse

Lastly, when the 7 talked about leaving the conference all the reports where that the meetings were just of the 7. They also reported they were talking to Norte Dame about joining them. ESPN reported all this. When that fell through they changed things up and invited the private, Jesuit schools of Butler, Creighton and Xavier. At this time schools like W Virginia, Cuse, etc. had left and UConn was also looking for new pastures. They wanted in with the ACC but they said no.

Now I just read a story today, by one of the 7 but not on the net yet (I don’t think). It says that the vote was not unanimous for UConn to join them and that 3 schools already have committees looking into them leaving the Big East (St. John’s, Seton Hall and Marquette). The reason, UConn does not fit the philosophy of the basis which the conference was formed on. They talked with the likes of St. Joseph and St. Boniventure to join them but the buyouts of their conferences were too much for them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Butler was founded as North Western Christian University in 1855. In 1930 it merged with the Teacher's College of Indianapolis, and then had several subsequent mergers including with the Indianapolis College of Pharmacy during WWII.

The charter calls for "a non-sectarian institution free from the taint of slavery, offering instruction in every branch of liberal and professional education."

It is a private university, not public.

So it is like Duke in a lot of ways, growing out of Trinity College (a Methodist school) and becoming a non-sectarian private school.
    Does the methodist church still "officially" have to approve the BoT?
    1200. DDMF.