Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Big East has a broadcast contract with Fox now. Very few Big East games on the worldwide leader.
    Well that might dull this a bit, but ESPN's love of UConn has to do with proximity....just like their love of the old Hartford Whalers (and now antipathy towards the Carolina Hurricanes.) Don't discount locality.

To me, this has to be viewed through two separate lenses: 1) financial; 2) relevance*.

Financially, this seems like a disaster for UConn--as was mentioned above, the AAC's revenue split across conference teams is miles beyond what the Big East gets. For a state school in a state that's in some financial disarray, which just invested heavily in its football facilities, this is puzzling. Even a trash heap football program at the bottom of its conference standings (e.g., UConn) gets the same slice of the pie as the top programs, excluding the bowl money.

Purely for basketball relevance, this seems like a win for UConn. But, that assumes it can get back to its past glory as a consistently competitive program, which has yet to be seen. I suspect Danny Hurley will get them there in reasonably short order, but that's no guarantee. Middle-of-the-pack in the Big East doesn't scream national relevance to me (although it does suggest more relevance than middle-of-the-pack in the AAC). I think it's clear what the impact on UConn's football relevance will be, now that they're joining a conference with literally no football competition.

Again, to me, this seems like a pursuit of basketball relevance at the sacrifice of financial gain and football existence (slight hyperbole, but not much).

*Men's basketball relevance

I doubt anyone here noticed, but Danny Hurley had a pretty nice recruiting year for UConn in his first full season as head coach. 247 rates their class #21 in the nation and he brought in 3 kids who are top 100 recruits. He also got an outstanding transfer in RJ Cole, who averaged better than 22 ppg in his two seasons at Howard and was MEAC player of the year this past season.

-Jason "It would seem that Danny has UConn headed back toward being a very strong program and likely one of the annual contenders in the Big East" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post
    To me, this has to be viewed through two separate lenses: 1) financial; 2) relevance*.

Financially, this seems like a disaster for UConn--as was mentioned above, the AAC's revenue split across conference teams is miles beyond what the Big East gets. For a state school in a state that's in some financial disarray, which just invested heavily in its football facilities, this is puzzling. Even a trash heap football program at the bottom of its conference standings (e.g., UConn) gets the same slice of the pie as the top programs, excluding the bowl money.

Purely for basketball relevance, this seems like a win for UConn. But, that assumes it can get back to its past glory as a consistently competitive program, which has yet to be seen. I suspect Danny Hurley will get them there in reasonably short order, but that's no guarantee. Middle-of-the-pack in the Big East doesn't scream national relevance to me (although it does suggest more relevance than middle-of-the-pack in the AAC). I think it's clear what the impact on UConn's football relevance will be, now that they're joining a conference with literally no football competition.

Again, to me, this seems like a pursuit of basketball relevance at the sacrifice of financial gain and football existence (slight hyperbole, but not much).

Evidently they have a $40 million hole in their athletics budget...and despite having a new on campus facility for football training,offices, etc, they still play their games 23 miles away in East Hartford...so I have no idea what their football path forward is, except I hope it's bumpy with lots of ticks.

Quote Originally Posted by English View Post

And that is what is most interesting to me. How do you view something through two separate lenses when the consequences are completely intertwined?

I agree with your view, by the way. Both views.

I just find the situation interesting. And I also find it totally in line with my numerous UConn friends. It's almost like my friends never comprehend any of the financial stuff I talk to them about re: their athletic program. It's truly as if it goes in one ear and out the other. "Yeah, but THE BIG EAST!" That's the usual reaction I get from these people.

And frankly, that's the sort of reaction that UConn as an institution seems to have made here, in line with your views English, and totally in line with my perception of their fanbase.

- Chillin

UConn to Pay AAC $17 M

From Jeff Borzello of ESPN:

UConn and the American Athletic Conference have reached an agreement for the school's departure from the league ahead of its re-entry into the Big East Conference.

The Huskies will leave on July 1, 2020, and are required to pay an exit fee of $17 million by 2026.

Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    From Jeff Borzello of ESPN: UConn and the American Athletic Conference have reached an agreement for the school's departure from the league ahead of its re-entry into the Big East Conference.

The Huskies will leave on July 1, 2020, and are required to pay an exit fee of $17 million by 2026.
    Danny better get UCONN back into the big dance asap. Their athletic program was over $40 million in the red last year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cou...outputType=amp

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Danny better get UCONN back into the big dance asap. Their athletic program was over $40 million in the red last year.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cou...outputType=amp
    ...but...but...but ...I thought these athletic departments were all getting rich.....

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    ...but...but...but ...I thought these athletic departments were all getting rich...
    Obviously this has never been the case so what's your point? Does it relate to the payment of collegiate athletes?

This was a good move for UConn but a poor move for the Big East. The schools in the Big East were classy but this took them a step back. UConn brings some trash with them, it is why the Big East did not bring them with. Hurley will have to make a big impact quickly. IMO, Villi leads and UConn will be no better than #2 and they will not sit long for that so progress will have to come fast. I think in a few years Hurley will see this as a bad coaching move. Great pay check but expectations will hurt him.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Obviously this has never been the case so what's your point? Does it relate to the payment of collegiate athletes?
    only to the discussion of the payment of collegiate athletes, where this misconception is exhibit A.

Quote Originally Posted by HereBeforeCoachK View Post
    only to the discussion of the payment of collegiate athletes, where this misconception is exhibit A.
    Yeah, I get HereBeforeCoachK's point. Many media talking heads assume that all colleges are netting huge money off athletics. Is it fair to say that this is not universally true?

I'm a skeptic on paying the kids. I worked hard to put three kids through college, they worked hard on part time jobs.

I've probably digressed from the main point here and, assuming I did, I apologize.

I am in favor of high school basketball players being allowed to go directly to the NBA. Same for football although the prospect for them are not as good.

This notion of paying college basketball players is complicated.

To further digress, Mary Willingham of UNC fame recently said (maybe testified) that colleges are failing athletes who aren't prepared for college. She cited examples of athletes who couldn't read coming into college.

I respectfully suggest that if a young man can't read, he does not belong in college.

Fire away, I 'm all in favor of giving young men a college education, but not every talented athlete belongs in college.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    This was a good move for UConn but a poor move for the Big East. The schools in the Big East were classy but this took them a step back. UConn brings some trash with them, it is why the Big East did not bring them with. Hurley will have to make a big impact quickly. IMO, Villi leads and UConn will be no better than #2 and they will not sit long for that so progress will have to come fast. I think in a few years Hurley will see this as a bad coaching move. Great pay check but expectations will hurt him.
    The Big East did not choose to exclude UConn. UConn has invested heavily in football in recent years so they needed a place to house this program. The Big East does not have football so this was not an option. UConn really wanted to be in the ACC but they were frozen out so they had to settle.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    The Big East did not choose to exclude UConn. UConn has invested heavily in football in recent years so they needed a place to house this program. The Big East does not have football so this was not an option. UConn really wanted to be in the ACC but they were frozen out so they had to settle.
    The Big East was formed of schools that do not play football, all of them. It was formed from the 7 catholic schools from the original Big East. I think that means they left UConn on the outside not that UConn choose otherwise. Why now they thought otherwise is perplexing. But they can carry that baggag.

The Big East was formed of schools that do not play football, all of them. It was formed from the 7 catholic schools from the original Big East. I think that means they left UConn on the outside not that UConn choose otherwise. Why now they thought otherwise is perplexing. But they can carry that baggag.
    It was part of the settlement, where only non-football playing schools were permitted to leave the “old” Big East (don’t forget, the AAC was trying to survive as a conference and actually held a lot of the cards). Similar to the “new” Big East’s ability to use the “Big East” name. The football playing schools had to stay in the old Big East (which changed its name to the AAC in the settlement talks). I think if the new Big East could have brought UConn along they would have but were happy to settle for what they got and start their basketball centric league, which was smart of those schools. The old Big East had turned into a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by Avvocato View Post
    It was part of the settlement, where only non-football playing schools were permitted to leave the “old” Big East (don’t forget, the AAC was trying to survive as a conference and actually held a lot of the cards).
    So Cuse, Pitt and Ville were allowed to leave because??? They don’t play football? How does 10 private, Christian schools fit with UConn? They don’t. The plan was to create a private, Christian conference. UConn was left out, not that they minded, but it was the plan for them not to come with. And what cards did the AAC hold? The AAC has never had any respect, so how did that play out good for them? I think I’d fold those cards in a hurry.

So Cuse, Pitt and Ville were allowed to leave because??? They don’t play football? How does 10 private, Christian schools fit with UConn? They don’t. The plan was to create a private, Christian conference. UConn was left out, not that they minded, but it was the plan for them not to come with. And what cards did the AAC hold? The AAC has never had any respect, so how did that play out good for them? I think I’d fold those cards in a hurry.
    Doesn’t that violate the First Amendment?

I will try to give you rational answers to your rhetorical questions. Syracuse, Pitt and Louisville were ecstatic to leave the Big East for the ACC. As U of Miami president Donna Shalala said, the ACC is a true conference where proceeds are shared equally. The Big East payouts were highly variable and more like a potluck dinner. "Allowed to leave?" That is the kind of distortion we shouldn't have to read on this Board. "The plan was to create a private Christian conference." You might find one of the presidents or commissioners who said such a thing -- I am not sure anyone did. And one of its first moves was to add non-sectarian Butler?

"...fit with UConn." Uhhh, big-time athletics is about big-time dollars. UConn would be a valuable addition to basketball in the Big East. I don't think anyone worries about the fit.

Anyway, policing your misstatements is a waste of my time. And the thought occurs that you are stirring the pot on purpose, like a troll.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    A violation of the First Amendment would be if schools were sanctioned by the government. Or non-Catholics were being arrested.

Quote Originally Posted by Bay Area Duke Fan View Post
    Why or how would that violate the First Amendment? It is not a Federal Govermental act.