Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

UConn To Rejoin Big East?

ESPN has a story that UConn will vote to move from the AAC to the Big East in the coming days:

Jeff Borzello/Mark Schlabach

UConn is expected to leave the American Athletic Conference and return to the Big East for basketball and other sports in 2020, sources told ESPN.

Nothing is official at this point, but an announcement could come as early as next week, sources said. The UConn Board of Trustees has not yet voted on the move, but approval is expected.
    UConn has become much less relevant in hoops since Calhoun left, and I guess that is part of the motivation for going back to the Big East.

That would leave the question of what happens to UConn football, inasmuch as the Big East does not have football.

The AAC currently has 12 full members. Navy is an associate member for football (replacing Wichita State, a full member that does not participate in football). Sage here guesses that the AAC would not look kindly on UConn, having spurned the AAC, rejoining as an associate member for football only. The article mentions the AAC possibly adding Army or Air Force as football only plus another strong basketball school.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

yeah, big time hoops players knew the Big East, no one knew the AAC...would love to see UConn thwarted again if that's possible...

UConn has an identity crisis. Right now they are a women’s basketball school that downgraded their conference affiliation for football. Men’s basketball is down for now, but UConn is essentially Big East level in basketball and AAC/Group of Five level in football.

Returning to the Big East for basketball (and maybe all other non-football sports) makes sense. If the AAC won’t keep them for football, maybe a semi-lateral move to another Group of Five conference like the MAC is in order.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    UConn has an identity crisis. Right now they are a women’s basketball school that downgraded their conference affiliation for football. Men’s basketball is down for now, but UConn is essentially Big East level in basketball and AAC/Group of Five level in football.

Returning to the Big East for basketball (and maybe all other non-football sports) makes sense. If the AAC won’t keep them for football, maybe a semi-lateral move to another Group of Five conference like the MAC is in order.
    Like UNC, they are overshadowed in basketball by a nearby private school, Yale.

4 titles in the last 20 years. Nobody has more right?

Boy did they screw the pooch when they sued the ACC. Maybe the ACC wouldn’t have been interested anyway but that lawsuit made them permanently persona non grata.

There's a Price To Be Paid

A handsome sum at that:

Conference bylaws require UConn to pay a $10 million withdrawal fee and give 27 months' notice before leaving, but the Huskies are expected to join the Big East in 2020.
    Per ESPN.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A handsome sum at that:

Per ESPN.
    Didn’t Maryland fight the payout amount and the ACC negotiated a lower #? UConvict can go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Didn’t Maryland fight the payout amount and the ACC negotiated a lower #? UConvict can go that route.
    How much did the ACC end up paying?

Quote Originally Posted by 4Gen View Post
    Google says 31 mill vs 51 mill if not contested.

Google says 31 mill vs 51 mill if not contested.
    Joke too subtle?

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Boy did they screw the pooch when they sued the ACC. Maybe the ACC wouldn’t have been interested anyway but that lawsuit made them permanently persona non grata.
    Weren’t current ACC members Pitt and VTech part of that lawsuit? UCON didn’t bring any new TV market so the ACC gets nothing.

I didn’t know the Big East even extended an invite. They will get some of the traditional rivalries but UCON will be the only public non religiously affiliated school in the conference. It seems they don’t really match anyone.

Maryland owed $52.2 million. It, of course, sued and the settlement was $31.4 million.
    Sage Grouse

Joke too subtle?
    Yea, I read right past that one😏

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    BC blackballed UCONN from the ACC, for which I shall always be grateful.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Maryland owed $52.2 million. It, of course, sued and the settlement was $31.4 million.
    So the winner is.......THE LAWYERS from both sides...

Saw a buzz on Twitter suggesting that The American's offices should be on the phone with BYU, Air Force and one other MW school (CSU?) now. Go to 14, have 2/3 Academies. Interesting theory, but travel would be horrendous.

I'm just happy to see Danny Hurley's sideline antics gone from my team's conference. Great talent, but what a maroon.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    BC blackballed UCONN from the ACC, for which I shall always be grateful.
    Agree, I already hate the current version of the ACC enough without adding UCONN. And you #@%&*** kids get off my Lawn!

Quote Originally Posted by wsb3 View Post
    Agree, I already hate the current version of the ACC enough without adding UCONN. And you #@%&*** kids get off my Lawn!
    We should have never left the Southern Conference.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    We should have never left the Southern Conference.
    😂😂😂 Can't spork you but thanks for the chuckle OPK