Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    Lastly, when the 7 talked about leaving the conference all the reports where that the meetings were just of the 7. They also reported they were talking to Norte Dame about joining them. ESPN reported all this. When that fell through they changed things up and invited the private, Jesuit schools of Butler, Creighton and Xavier. At this time schools like W Virginia, Cuse, etc. had left and UConn was also looking for new pastures. They wanted in with the ACC but they said no.

Now I just read a story today, by one of the 7 but not on the net yet (I don’t think). It says that the vote was not unanimous for UConn to join them and that 3 schools already have committees looking into them leaving the Big East (St. John’s, Seton Hall and Marquette). The reason, UConn does not fit the philosophy of the basis which the conference was formed on. They talked with the likes of St. Joseph and St. Boniventure to join them but the buyouts of their conferences were too much for them.
    Why are you fixated on the "Jesuit School off Butler" when this is demonstrably untrue? They are not, nor ever have been Jesuit.

Quote Originally Posted by uh_no View Post
    Does the methodist church still "officially" have to approve the BoT?
    Assuming you want a straight answer. The Eastern and Western Conferences of the Methodist Church in NC, according to former Duke Archivist William King, had authority to each approve the appointment of one-third of the trustees of Duke, provided that these names have been submitted by the seated BoT. Thus, Duke has always been a self-perpetuating university. In 2016 this formality was removed, and the United Methodist church no longer has formal approval of Duke trustees.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Assuming you want a straight answer. The Eastern and Western Conferences of the Methodist Church in NC, according to former Duke Archivist William King, had authority to each approve the appointment of one-third of the trustees of Duke, provided that these names have been submitted by the seated BoT. Thus, Duke has always been a self-perpetuating university. In 2016 this formality was removed, and the United Methodist church no longer has formal approval of Duke trustees.
    Thanks, Sage

I was really curious about that one, and thanks for the response.
    April 1

It should also be mentioned that the Eastern Conference of the Methodist Church is vinegar based (stinging sermons) while the West Conference is tomato based, a bit less strident. I think I have that right...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    It should also be mentioned that the Eastern Conference of the Methodist Church is vinegar based (stinging sermons) while the West Conference is tomato based, a bit less strident. I think I have that right...
    budwom wins the internet for a day.

Use it wisely.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Why are you fixated on the "Jesuit School off Butler" when this is demonstrably untrue? They are not, nor ever have been Jesuit.
    Butler University is the home of the Christian Theological Seminary. This is true with some other public colleges? I lived in Indiana for a while and they are known for their Christian work, and they hold out Christian values and beliefs, very loadly. But maybe someone who lives in NC knows better.

Butler University is the home of the Christian Theological Seminary. This is true with some other public colleges? I lived in Indiana for a while and they are known for their Christian work, and they hold out Christian values and beliefs, very loadly. But maybe someone who lives in NC knows better.
    Butler is not a public college. In fact, if it was, by definition it could not be a religious school because of the First Amendment’s separation of church and state requirement.

Butler’s current charter calls for it to be non-sectarian.

Why do you keep denying these pretty basic and verifiable facts?
    Last edited by OldPhiKap; 07-29-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Ok, i’m Done with this. If you go to Butler University and scroll down you see a topic called “Center for Faith and Vocation.” Without reading anything else that should tell you they are a faith college. If you are going to argue that they are not you need to point to any public college that has that topic, “Faith.” Just read...
    LOL, is it a Center of Religious Studies? That changes things a lot... education is important!
    Lastly, when the 7 talked about leaving the conference all the reports where that the meetings were just of the 7. They also reported they were talking to Norte Dame about joining them. ESPN reported all this. When that fell through they changed things up and invited the private, Jesuit schools of Butler, Creighton and Xavier. At this time schools like W Virginia, Cuse, etc. had left and UConn was also looking for new pastures. They wanted in with the ACC but they said no.

Now I just read a story today, by one of the 7 but not on the net yet (I don’t think).* It says that the vote was not unanimous for UConn to join them and that 3 schools already have committees looking into them leaving the Big East (St. John’s, Seton Hall and Marquette). The reason, UConn does not fit the philosophy of the basis which the conference was formed on. They talked with the likes of St. Joseph and St. Boniventure to join them but the buyouts of their conferences were too much for them.
    You have an interesting way of being done with things.

* Where did you read this story?

Actually the Seminary became a separate entity in 1924. See Wiki page.