Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Here’s a really good story on Grayson from last year that I didn’t see until now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/417359002

Grayson’s a good person, but he is wired differently. I don’t think we have to deny this or always point fingers elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by JamminJoe View Post
    Here’s a really good story on Grayson from last year that I didn’t see until now:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa.../amp/417359002

Grayson’s a good person, but he is wired differently. I don’t think we have to deny this or always point fingers elsewhere.
    Maybe Grayson doesn't suffer the fools that make up the a lot of the NBA very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Maybe Grayson doesn't suffer the fools that make up the a lot of the NBA very well.
    I'm reminded of a quote from Phil Mickelson last year when he played Tiger one-on-one at Thanksgiving for that big payday. He said he was driven more by his hatred of losing than by his love of winning. I know several people close to me who are the same way. Their competitive fire comes more at trying to perfect their game than just beating the other person, so when they win it's not as fulfilling as we might think it should be. And when they lose their reaction seems way over the top. We think they are being a bad sport or just ungracious in defeat. But it's not really that. They are mad at themselves because they didn't live up to their own standards. I think Grayson gets absorbed in those personal battles and when he doesn't do something perfect, and consequently the other guy gets the best of him, he loses it. And while it is terribly unseemly I don't think it's because he's a sore loser or just a "jerk". Not at all. His is a different kind of inner challenge. It's still a problem and something he's got to work on, but people looking from the outside in just condemning him as another snobby white boy that can't take getting beaten don't know what they are talking about. It's far more than that.

RJ Barrett -- Most Improved?

He must have read the critical posts here at DBR. ESPN's Kevin Pelton handed out superlatives after the summer league.

Most improved: RJ Barrett | New York Knicks

A slow start for Barrett, particularly as a shooter, fed skepticism about how his game would translate to the NBA. Barrett shot 7-of-33 (21%) over his first two games and had eight turnovers in a rough debut against his former Duke roommate Williamson.

As the action progressed, Barrett started to find his footing as a playmaker. He handed out six assists in his third game and 10 in a consolation appearance, coming within two rebounds of a triple-double. Barrett's strong rebounding was the most consistent feature of his summer game, as he averaged 8.6 boards. And Barrett's shooting started to come around, as he made a more respectable 43% of his attempts after the first two games. If Barrett continues progressing like that during the regular season, he'll be just fine.
    Other awards:
    Best rookie and best passer: Nickeil Alexander-Walker | New Orleans Pelicans -- the VT rookie gets the big prize.

Best play: Zion Williamson | New Orleans Pelicans -- his steal from Kevin Knox and electrifying dunk.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    I'm reminded of a quote from Phil Mickelson last year when he played Tiger one-on-one at Thanksgiving for that big payday. He said he was driven more by his hatred of losing than by his love of winning. I know several people close to me who are the same way. Their competitive fire comes more at trying to perfect their game than just beating the other person, so when they win it's not as fulfilling as we might think it should be. And when they lose their reaction seems way over the top. We think they are being a bad sport or just ungracious in defeat. But it's not really that. They are mad at themselves because they didn't live up to their own standards. I think Grayson gets absorbed in those personal battles and when he doesn't do something perfect, and consequently the other guy gets the best of him, he loses it. And while it is terribly unseemly I don't think it's because he's a sore loser or just a "jerk". Not at all. His is a different kind of inner challenge. It's still a problem and something he's got to work on, but people looking from the outside in just condemning him as another snobby white boy that can't take getting beaten don't know what they are talking about. It's far more than that.
    Absolutely agree, when he had that meltdown on the bench, to me he was so mad at himself he was trying to crawl out of his skin. Absolutely high self standards and when he does mentally stupid things he has difficultly in control.

Not sure where to post this. An interesting take on RJ’s summer league performance from an analytics perspective. NY Post article. Some “predictive” statements.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/rj-bar...ot-the-savior/

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Not sure where to post this. An interesting take on RJ’s summer league performance from an analytics perspective. NY Post article. Some “predictive” statements.

https://nypost.com/2019/07/19/rj-bar...ot-the-savior/
    A bit ho-hum, with a dumb comment or so:

“Nothing stood out as far being a great stopper on the ball,’’ Hauselman said. “Duke has gone to a lot of 2-3 zone. That’s going to be an issue — lack of experience on the ball, man to man, especially at that position. He’ll be playing guys trying to kill him or try to.”
    Duke played a lot of zone in 2018-2019? News to me.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    A bit ho-hum, with a dumb comment or so:

Duke played a lot of zone in 2018-2019? News to me.
    Agree, but I was just posting to show the “predictive” aspect of someone’s analysis of RJ’s summer.

Despite being a CPA, I am not overly into analytics and stats to determine one’s future success in the NBA, but I thought some of the perspectives were at least interesting.