Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Luol Deng:The NBA’s Unlikely Real Estate Mogul (Forbes)

I apologize if this has posted elsewhere. I found this fascinating. I have always admired Luol so this was great to read about.

He has amassed a $125M Real Estate Portfolio in addition to the $150M+ he has made in the NBA.

Here is an excerpt:

Luol Deng has spent 15 years in the NBA and has always put up solid numbers, averaging nearly 15 points per contest over 900-plus games. The 34-year-old forward, who played for the Minnesota Timberwolves this past season, has never been the headliner on any of the five teams he’s played for, but he does have a pair of All-Star Game selections on his résumé. It is the kind of long career that is quite lucrative in today’s NBA, where the salary cap exploded thanks to the tripling of the most recent TV contract with ESPN and TNT. The result—Deng’s career earnings on the court are $151 million.

But the Sudanese-born Deng is not waiting for the end of his playing days for his next big score. He’s been investing in real estate almost since the time he entered the league in 2004 and has amassed an impressive portfolio—hotels, resorts, condos and apartment buildings—worth $125 million.
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbad.../#521248701db9

Another good excerpt:

Deng says he has leaned on mentors like real estate entrepreneur Don Peebles and JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon. He was good friends with Dimon’s daughter at Duke, and the banking titan was based in Chicago as CEO of Bank One and welcomed Deng to the city when he was drafted by the Bulls.

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post
    I apologize if this has posted elsewhere. I found this fascinating. I have always admired Luol so this was great to read about.

He has amassed a $125M Real Estate Portfolio in addition to the $150M+ he has made in the NBA.

Here is an excerpt:

Here's one interesting passage:
    Deng says he has leaned on mentors like real estate entrepreneur Don Peebles and JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon. He was good friends with Dimon’s daughter at Duke, and the banking titan was based in Chicago as CEO of Bank One and welcomed Deng to the city when he was drafted by the Bulls.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

yeah, but other guys have much larger entourages!

Quote Originally Posted by J4Kop99 View Post

Here is an excerpt:

Very interesting article and I am very happy for Luol and his success. But to clarify, it does not say he has $125 million of real estate in addition to his NBA earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Very interesting article and I am very happy for Luol and his success. But to clarify, it does not say he has $125 million of real estate in addition to his NBA earnings.
    Well, the article says his career earnings on the court are $150 million and his real estate portfolio is $125 million. Does sound like that means "in addition to."

Quote Originally Posted by SueAxe View Post
    Well, the article says his career earnings on the court are $150 million and his real estate portfolio is $125 million. Does sound like that means "in addition to."
    Don't you think the $125 million is the result from investing some of his $150 million? We should not confuse gross and net. In any event I would bet he has a net worth well north of $225 million.

No, because those two things overlap (perhaps significantly).

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    No, because those two things overlap (perhaps significantly).
    Agree... some of the $150 million was certainly used as capital for his real estate investments when he got started.

Quote Originally Posted by Edouble View Post
    Agree... some of the $150 million was certainly used as capital for his real estate investments when he got started.
    All that means is that he does not have $150 million in the bank. It does not mean he did not EARN that on the court, which is what the article says.

All that means is that he does not have $150 million in the bank. It does not mean he did not EARN that on the court, which is what the article says.
    He could have invested all $150 mil to "develop" his $125 mil real estate portfolio. Sounds like something I would do, on a different scale.

Amusing that NBA teams paid him to investigate the real estate markets in Chicago, Cleveland, Miami, LA and Minneapolis. Also enabled him to regularly visit 23 other cities "on business" over a 15 year period.

Yes, but apples and oranges. Earnings are a "flow" that go to taxes, living expenses, and savings. "Savings" are invested, such as his real estate portfolio of $150 million (a "stock") -- but real estate is usually leveraged with debt, so I don't know if $150 million is a value with or without debt.

Also, Deng would certainly have earnings beyond his NBA salary, such as through endorsements, and he would have investments outside of real estate.

Sounds like the young man is doing well.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Maybe when Danny Ferry said that Luol had a lot of African in him, he was comparing him to Sudhir Ruparelia or Samih Sawiris.

http://innov8tiv.com/the-richest-rea...ons-in-africa/

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    ... Earnings are a "flow" that go to taxes, living expenses, and savings ...
    These "earnings" things sound wonderful -- where does one get them? And what's the word for the money I get periodically for my labor, which seems to only go two places (taxes, living expenses).

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Maybe when Danny Ferry said that Luol had a lot of African in him, he was comparing him to Sudhir Ruparelia or Samih Sawiris.

http://innov8tiv.com/the-richest-rea...ons-in-africa/
    Only if Danny was reading from the scouting report of a Bloomberg analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Yes, but apples and oranges. Earnings are a "flow" that go to taxes, living expenses, and savings. "Savings" are invested, such as his real estate portfolio of $150 million (a "stock") -- but real estate is usually leveraged with debt, so I don't know if $150 million is a value with or without debt.

Also, Deng would certainly have earnings beyond his NBA salary, such as through endorsements, and he would have investments outside of real estate.

Sounds like the young man is doing well.
    To put it a different way, the fact that his portfolio of real estate assets is worth an estimated $125 million does not necessarily mean that his equity in those assets is worth $125 million. As you note, given leverage frequently used in real estate, it is probably safe to assume that the equity value is significantly less (maybe only 30-40% of the asset value, depending on the specific type of properties owned).

Wow, only on DBR does this type of wordsmithing and analysis occur. I love it incidentally. On another note, it was well known on campus that Luol and Dimon were more than friends. So, he definitely got to know her father especially when he made it to the NBA I'm sure. Glad he's doing well for himself. Luol gives a lot back to Sudan.

"From the window [point to backboard], to Luol!"

$150m in career earnings translates into maybe $80m take home after taxes and agent.

Leverage in a rising market works well, but the world is full of tempting places to spend money.

I’m assuming the article is asserting that luol currently has direct control of real estate that would lead to a personal profit of $125m pretax if liquidated over the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    $150m in career earnings translates into maybe $80m take home after taxes and agent.

Leverage in a rising market works well, but the world is full of tempting places to spend money.

I’m assuming the article is asserting that luol currently has direct control of real estate that would lead to a personal profit of $125m pretax if liquidated over the next year.
    My financial concerns about Luol were his obligations to his immense refugee family (eight brothers and sisters), which left Sudan for Egypt and then later went to Britain. Obviously, he is doing well for himself, and my concerns were misplaced.
    Sage Grouse

For me the the $150M and $125M numbers are just to grab attention and don't aren't directly translatable to what he received in salary and what is current value is now. They do indicate to me that he has been prudent with his earnings and hasn't spent lavishly and foolishly. That makes sense to me because I never saw him as someone who was primarily interested in lauding self.

This is Economics 101, from what money you earn you can purchase things, like real estate. You cannot buy real estate on good looks or for years playing in the NBA. And smart economics is that you purchase something that gains in value beyond what you purchased the item for. Good real estate tends to be worth more than what you purchased it for.
    Last edited by Tazman10; 06-22-2019 at 02:06 PM.