Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 64
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh

    NBA prediction for next season.

    I don't usually make predictions, but, i've got a feeling that, no matter who else goes to the lakers, Christopher Walken is telling the story of The King.
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"

  2. #2
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I don't usually make predictions, but, i've got a feeling that, no matter who else goes to the lakers, Christopher Walken is telling the story of The King.
    You think Lakers win it all next year? I hope they don't.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    no, i'm just saying that lebron is going to remind everyone who he is...
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"

  4. #4
    538 posted its way too early projections for next year based on their CARMELO ratings. They've got the Rockets with the highest chance of representing the Western Conference in the finals, followed by the Lakers. Out East, it's the 76ers then the Bucks. Overall, the 76ers have the highest projected chance of winning it all followed by the Rockets.

    Just a gut reaction --- I'm not sold on the Rockets experiment yet. I'm not sure who's going to make that team go. I'm also not sure why the 76ers got so much better when they lost 2/5ths of their starting line-up. I understand why they're favored in the East but not sure why they're projected as the overall best team.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Durham
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    538 posted its way too early projections for next year based on their CARMELO ratings. They've got the Rockets with the highest chance of representing the Western Conference in the finals, followed by the Lakers. Out East, it's the 76ers then the Bucks. Overall, the 76ers have the highest projected chance of winning it all followed by the Rockets.

    Just a gut reaction --- I'm not sold on the Rockets experiment yet. I'm not sure who's going to make that team go. I'm also not sure why the 76ers got so much better when they lost 2/5ths of their starting line-up. I understand why they're favored in the East but not sure why they're projected as the overall best team.
    They also give the Pelicans a 50% chance of making the playoffs. Sounds like a perfect pie bet.

  6. #6

    LeBron

    I think LeBron has a strong case for greatest player ever, but I don't like the Lakers lineup outside of him and Davis and I don't trust the Lakers front office at all. Also, even in this era of guys defining aging curves, Lebron is going to turn 35 and is coming off an injury. Will be a fascinating season for sure.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    538 posted its way too early projections for next year based on their CARMELO ratings. They've got the Rockets with the highest chance of representing the Western Conference in the finals, followed by the Lakers. Out East, it's the 76ers then the Bucks. Overall, the 76ers have the highest projected chance of winning it all followed by the Rockets.

    Just a gut reaction --- I'm not sold on the Rockets experiment yet. I'm not sure who's going to make that team go. I'm also not sure why the 76ers got so much better when they lost 2/5ths of their starting line-up. I understand why they're favored in the East but not sure why they're projected as the overall best team.
    Having the highest projected chance of winning it all is not the same as being projected as the overall best team. If, for example, you think four teams in the West and two teams in the East are roughly equivalent, the best Eastern team will probably have the best chance of winning it all, even if they're the fourth or even fifth best team in the bunch, because they have the best chance of making the finals and at least a decent chance of winning once they're there.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    I think LeBron has a strong case for greatest player ever, but I don't like the Lakers lineup outside of him and Davis and I don't trust the Lakers front office at all. Also, even in this era of guys defining aging curves, Lebron is going to turn 35 and is coming off an injury. Will be a fascinating season for sure.
    I'm on record on DBR as saying that I don't like LeBron (mostly because of his on court whining). I'll also say that I think Davis is a little overrated (perhaps because he gets hurt). With Cheater Green having once again put himself in a position to be carried by a great player, I hope the Lakers lose a lot (sorry QC). Having said all that, I don't think LeBron needs all that much help to win it all. If LeBron and Davis stay healthy and with Quinn there to hit 3's, Kuzma coming into his own, Cousins available and somewhat healthy...I think they are the team to beat. LeBron is just that disruptive, that special.

    Hope I'm wrong though.

    I wish the Pelicans had a better team mascot because I really want them to do well next season.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm on record on DBR as saying that I don't like LeBron (mostly because of his on court whining). I'll also say that I think Davis is a little overrated (perhaps because he gets hurt). With Cheater Green having once again put himself in a position to be carried by a great player, I hope the Lakers lose a lot (sorry QC). Having said all that, I don't think LeBron needs all that much help to win it all. If LeBron and Davis stay healthy and with Quinn there to hit 3's, Kuzma coming into his own, Cousins available and somewhat healthy...I think they are the team to beat. LeBron is just that disruptive, that special.

    Hope I'm wrong though.

    I wish the Pelicans had a better team mascot because I really want them to do well next season.
    I appreciate your reasoning for disliking Lebron. I think he's an all-time talent.
    My only issue is that if you disliked every player that participates in on court whining, you'd have very few players to root for.
    I lost my favorite team when the Hornets left. Then, I lost my favorite team when the Sonics left. I will root for Blue Devils, including Quinn. Luckily, the Pelicans are making my rooting interests even simpler.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I appreciate your reasoning for disliking Lebron. I think he's an all-time talent.
    My only issue is that if you disliked every player that participates in on court whining, you'd have very few players to root for.
    I lost my favorite team when the Hornets left. Then, I lost my favorite team when the Sonics left. I will root for Blue Devils, including Quinn. Luckily, the Pelicans are making my rooting interests even simpler.
    I tend to be just an NBA dork in general. I just root for the storylines, drama, superstars, etc... Now the Hornets are technically my favorite team but them being as bad as they are I just want them to embrace losing so we can get better picks.

    I consider LeBron to be the GOAT so I want the Lakers to win it all every year he is there until he retires. After that I will probably cheer for certain players to all get at least one or two rings but for now I don't want the young guys to win anything (Giannis, Embid, Simmons, Towns, etc...). If I had to cheer against LeBron or for some reason they don't make the playoffs then I would pull for Westbrook.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by Kedsy View Post
    Having the highest projected chance of winning it all is not the same as being projected as the overall best team. If, for example, you think four teams in the West and two teams in the East are roughly equivalent, the best Eastern team will probably have the best chance of winning it all, even if they're the fourth or even fifth best team in the bunch, because they have the best chance of making the finals and at least a decent chance of winning once they're there.
    Good catch, careless language.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I don't usually make predictions, but, i've got a feeling that, no matter who else goes to the lakers, Christopher Walken is telling the story of The King.
    I much prefer his pocket watch story...

  13. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I'm on record on DBR as saying that I don't like LeBron (mostly because of his on court whining). I'll also say that I think Davis is a little overrated (perhaps because he gets hurt). With Cheater Green having once again put himself in a position to be carried by a great player, I hope the Lakers lose a lot (sorry QC). Having said all that, I don't think LeBron needs all that much help to win it all. If LeBron and Davis stay healthy and with Quinn there to hit 3's, Kuzma coming into his own, Cousins available and somewhat healthy...I think they are the team to beat. LeBron is just that disruptive, that special.

    Hope I'm wrong though.

    I wish the Pelicans had a better team mascot because I really want them to do well next season.
    Wait, what? You donít like Pierrie Pelican or the name ďPelicansĒ?

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    I tend to be just an NBA dork in general. I just root for the storylines, drama, superstars, etc... Now the Hornets are technically my favorite team but them being as bad as they are I just want them to embrace losing so we can get better picks.
    It's hard to root for laundry in the NBA anymore. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I've considered the Hornets "my team" but they're one of the worst-run franchises in the league and, under the present system, have no chance of ever becoming a perennial contender. So it's easy to root for, say, the Pelicans - right now - because of Zion and co. But that seems temporary at best - even if Zion stays there long-term one presumes the other pieces will come and go around him.

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by Matches View Post
    It's hard to root for laundry in the NBA anymore. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing. I've considered the Hornets "my team" but they're one of the worst-run franchises in the league and, under the present system, have no chance of ever becoming a perennial contender. So it's easy to root for, say, the Pelicans - right now - because of Zion and co. But that seems temporary at best - even if Zion stays there long-term one presumes the other pieces will come and go around him.
    If not for following ex-Duke players Iíd not pay any attention to the NBA. The desecration of the Hornets by their despicable/useless owner has cured me of investing time into a given franchise. For this coming year Iím a NO blue devils fan.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    If not for following ex-Duke players Iíd not pay any attention to the NBA.
    I've never gotten all the way there. Having marquee players move more often has changed things greatly. I grew up a Lakers fan (Magic and showtime). Stopped being a Lakers fan the day Shaq signed there (even though Kobe was unreal). Just about the time you start to get comfortable hating a player you find them on 'your' team. So when it comes to NBA I don't really have a team anymore, just players that I really like (or dislike). Heading all my dislike lists are UNCheat players. I hate it when they are on the same team as Duke players. Then there's the Golden State Warriors. They are a team that is lead by one of my favorite players, Curry, that plays beautiful basketball and are just easy to get behind. Closest thing I've had to having a team in years (but I'm not hypocrite enough to proclaim myself a real GSW fan).

    I really hope the Pelicans do well next season. My other favorite player is JJ and I suspect Zion will be on that list as well. Also, I'd love to see Jah make a comeback, Frank make a splash and Ingram eat a pizza...I mean continue to improve...

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Albemarle, North Carolina
    Probably doesn't hurt that my love for the NBA also coincides with my unusual talent for playing NBA 2K games... I don't even like them very much but for some reason I'm unreasonably good and usually ranked in the top 2% of world players for going on for 8 years now.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

  18. #18
    I've thought, for a long time, that some team owners really like finishing up in the middle of the pack than having to pay super stars to get the chance to win it all. Can't be specific except that the St.Louis football Cardinals struck me that way when they had Bud Wilkinson as their coach. Bud never said that to me but some of his friends did. Anyone agree with me? Possibly mid pack teams lose money so I've been misleading myself. (Thinking here of Charlotte)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Winston Salem, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    If not for following ex-Duke players Iíd not pay any attention to the NBA. The desecration of the Hornets by their despicable/useless owner has cured me of investing time into a given franchise. For this coming year Iím a NO blue devils fan.
    arnie you said it way better than I could have. I will not root for the Hornets as long as Jordan is involved with the team even if he's the water boy. I'm for all former Duke players and that's about it. I may watch a playoff game or two. GoDuke!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    raleigh
    i love the NBA....greatest sport on the planet played by the greatest athletes on the planet.


    It's interesting to me that there are not any "real" team rivalries anymore....most everyone has a favorite team, (or teams) but follow players more than "teams"...

    now that the dubs are just "really good", the CAVS/DUBS rivalry has dissipated...who cares if Boston plays LA, or Chicago? or even the spurs?

    with free agency, and players calling the shots, will there ever be another real team rivalry? I mean, seriously, i'm gonna throw up in my mouth every time i have to pull for the lakers...
    "Either they're going down, or we are! Kirk out!"

Similar Threads

  1. Football season prediction thread
    By OZZIE4DUKE in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 12-02-2018, 11:03 AM
  2. A Bold Prediction
    By Volunteer Duke in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-23-2016, 04:48 PM
  3. Early Prediction
    By greybeard in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 07:36 AM
  4. ACC Prediction
    By gw67 in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-26-2007, 09:11 AM
  5. Prediction: Duke over MD
    By TwoDukeTattoos in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-28-2007, 09:05 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •