Page 5 of 29 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    God I hope so. As a Celtics fan, I'm happy to see the Knicks as a perennial dumpster fire. However, it's really sad seeing this year after year. My enemy deserves a little happiness.
    Think you have your own issues this offseason. 😉 We’re used to it here.

2. Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    Kyrie leaving Boston is great for Tatum. Kyrie is a great player but kind of weirdo and I think his personality didn’t mesh with the team. They were better the year before when Kyrie got hurt. As good as Kyrie is he can’t be the best player on a championship team.
    In all my years of playing (admittedly lousy) basketball I don't ever recall caring about my teammate's personality or beliefs about flat earth. Only if they can ball or not. Maybe in the NBA it's different because they have a lot of candid conversations during timeouts, and a weird personality would distract teammates to the point of playing badly.

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    In all my years of playing (admittedly lousy) basketball I don't ever recall caring about my teammate's personality or beliefs about flat earth. Only if they can ball or not. Maybe in the NBA it's different because they have a lot of candid conversations during timeouts, and a weird personality would distract teammates to the point of playing badly.
    Irving admitted at one point during the season that he needed to change his attitude. He apparently is extremely moody and it can impact the team if your teammates have no idea what Kyrie is showing up from day to day. One day you are upbeat and willing to interact with everyone on and off the court, and the next day you can't be bothered. Hopefully Irving will grow out of a lot of this because he is extremely talented.

This salary cap talk in tv is confusing. The Lakers can get more cap room to sign a Max player at 30m but how would they sign the rat of the team?

Stevens deserves a ton of blame. Rozier had this scathing interview where he said Stevens wanted to run everything through Kyrie and Hayward. Sure, that makes sense if these two players are head-and-shoulders above the rest of the team, but Horford, Tatum, and Brown are all really good players.
    Rozier is not anyone to take too seriously. That’s the first thing. Second, for what exactly is he supposedly to be blamed? The Celtics won their first round playoff series quite easily, then lost to the team that had the best record in the NBA.

And it’s one heck of a challenge to deal with a broken former star (Hayward) who had lost his confidence after coming off a catastrophic injury. Not to mention dealing with a space cadet like Kyrie who was clearly the main cause in fracturing team chemistry. What other coach had to deal with two situations like this at the same time?

Brad Stevens is an excellent coach and a man of great character and integrity. Any team would be lucky to have him.

Quote Originally Posted by duke4ever19 View Post
    I'm not sure why. There are higher concentrations of Christian denominations in the Memphis area, than can be found in Salt Lake City.
    I didn't mean to imply SLC > Memphis. Never been to Memphis and have no beef with it. I was really thinking at his age and as a family man, he might not have the same urge to live in a party town like, say, Miami or LA. Or even New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by BigZ View Post
    This salary cap talk in tv is confusing. The Lakers can get more cap room to sign a Max player at 30m but how would they sign the [rest] of the team?
    You’re always allowed to add a minimum salary player, even if you’re at/over the cap. Those players are like freebies. So the Lakers are basically trying to clear the entire roster except for LeBron, AD and Kuzma (whom they consider indispensable), then they can sign their third max player to put them at the cap, then they can fill out the rest of the roster with minimum salary players. Similar to what Miami did when they signed their big three; other veterans like Ray Allen were willing to come at minimum salary for the chance to chase a ring.

The Bucks have traded Tony Snell (and his 2 years, $23 mil of salary) and the #30 pick in the draft to the Pistons for John Leuer (and his 1 year, $9 mil salary). This deal is not about the players as much as it is about the salary. The Bucks give up the last pick of the first round in order to save a couple mil this year and $12 mil next year.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by duke74 View Post
    Think you have your own issues this offseason. 😉 We’re used to it here.
    Oh yeah. The Celtics have turned into a magnificent dumpster fire this off-season (maybe a landfill fire is more appropriate). Going from the team with the brightest future to losing your starting PG, starting PF and retaining a bunched of pissed off players (mainly because of our PG) is not easy to solve. And I'm not sure Ainge is going to fix this problem any time soon.

Also, Stevens has proven he's human. This emotional attachment to Hayward has, IMO, really hurt the Celtics.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The Bucks have traded Tony Snell (and his 2 years, $23 mil of salary) and the #30 pick in the draft to the Pistons for John Leuer (and his 1 year, $9 mil salary). This deal is not about the players as much as it is about the salary. The Bucks give up the last pick of the first round in order to save a couple mil this year and $12 mil next year.
    This is an absolute steal for the Pistons!

And yet they are not significantly improved.

The #30 pick is right at that point where a high 2nd round pick might be better. The #30 gets guaranteed money and at least 3 years on the contract (4?). In this draft, there might not be many guys worthy of that cap space counting toward the luxury tax.

scottdude8 is online now Moderator, Contributor, Zoubek disciple, and resident Wolverine
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This is an absolute steal for the Pistons!

And yet they are not significantly improved.

The #30 pick is right at that point where a high 2nd round pick might be better. The #30 gets guaranteed money and at least 3 years on the contract (4?). In this draft, there might not be many guys worthy of that cap space counting toward the luxury tax.
    Yeah as a Detroiter I was pleasantly surprised by this deal too. Snell actually has a role to play for the Pistons, who outside of our Luke Kennard are very thin on the wing. To get a guy who should contribute alongside a bonus first rounder is nice.

If I were the Pistons I’d now be doing everything I could to try to turn that first rounder into moving up in the draft. I could see a team around the 10 pick whose target player is gone willing to trade down to 15 and 30. As I mentioned, the Pistons need wings and outside shooting badly. If Cam falls, maybe they use this ammo and do everything they can to move up to get him. Or at least that’s my pipe dream!

Interesting take/tinfoil hattery on one way the Lakers could address their cap issues from the Ringer here.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    Under 2m for a guy who is 23 and got over 11 and 6 on a mess of a team. That is an amazing deal. Hope he continues to grow. With Pel’s going young, maybe they’ll be more focused on development.
    The ceiling is the roof

If you are like me and have been wondering why or how the Lakers were unable to get the Pelicans deal to work properly for maximum salary cap space (be having it be executed on July 30th, not July 6th), we finally have an answer. Lakers GM Rob Pelinka is an idiot who does not understand how the salary cap works.

ESPN's Ramona Shelburne also said the Lakers have “capologists,” who theoretically could have made the trade’s pitfalls evident to management ahead of time, though she shrugged and said, “It’s a question of if they listened.”

The Lakers also reportedly did not know Davis’s contract included a 15 percent trade kicker, worth about $4.1 million. Bleacher Report’s Howard Beck reported Wednesday that the Lakers never even asked Davis about waiving it, and Adrian Wojnarowski reported that the player “doesn’t plan” to waive it. The net result of the Lakers not understanding how the salary cap works could be having around $9 million less to work with this summer as well as having a bare cupboard of young players, which matters to a worrying degree for a team with only AD, LeBron, and Kyle Kuzma on the roster.
    I know the Lakers are the trendy pick to win the title... but unless a whole bunch of vets are willing to take massive discounts to play with Bron/Brow, it ain't happening.

-Jason "I bet the Lakers roster will include at least 5 guys who would be G-League/2-way players under normal circumstances" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

TJ Warren traded to the Pacers along with the 32nd pick. Suns clearing cap space.

17. Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Oh yeah. The Celtics have turned into a magnificent dumpster fire this off-season (maybe a landfill fire is more appropriate). Going from the team with the brightest future to losing your starting PG, starting PF and retaining a bunched of pissed off players (mainly because of our PG) is not easy to solve. And I'm not sure Ainge is going to fix this problem any time soon.

Also, Stevens has proven he's human. This emotional attachment to Hayward has, IMO, really hurt the Celtics.
    It's not your opinion, reportedly that was the start of the chemistry issues: https://sports.yahoo.com/report-brad...032947835.html

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    It's not your opinion, reportedly that was the start of the chemistry issues: https://sports.yahoo.com/report-brad...032947835.html
    Kind of amazing the difference a year makes. Wasn't long ago we were heralding Ainge and Stevens as a pair of basketball masterminds.

Honestly I think the smartest thing would be to try to move Hayward to get the locker room back, but I'm not sure he's movable and it might be too late for it to work anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Kind of amazing the difference a year makes. Wasn't long ago we were heralding Ainge and Stevens as a pair of basketball masterminds.

Honestly I think the smartest thing would be to try to move Hayward to get the locker room back, but I'm not sure he's movable and it might be too late for it to work anyway.
    I still think Ainge and Stevens are great. Ainge made the most of the Pierce/Garnett departure and kept rolling the assets forward. The mistake he made was keeping his powder dry. He just kept waiting and waiting for the Davis deal to come along. And he got a little unlucky with Kyrie.

Here's some ideas - at the 2018 Draft, Ainge could have used Rozier on the last year of a rookie deal plus the Sacramento pick to trade for Wendell Carter (the #7 pick last year). Ainge would have sold high on Rozier who was PG on the Eastern Conference runners up and Kyrie insurance. He would have sold high on the Sacramento pick because now the Kings are a .500 team. He could have had Carter be the backup center until Horford's deal was up.

Or Ainge could packaged Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart and a pick for Kawhi last summer (or Bradley Beal this summer if he's gettable). Brown and Jayson Tatum overlap a fair amount, so why not pick one and move the other?

It's almost like AD is Ainge's great white whale. He could have gone a dozen other equally compelling routes, but only seemed to care about AD.

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post
    It's almost like AD is Ainge's great white whale. He could have gone a dozen other equally compelling routes, but only seemed to care about AD.
    And here is the crazy thing... AD has never been on a really good team. I'm not saying it is his fault that Nawlins was a low-end playoff team much of his career, but the truly great players sorta tend to elevate their teammates and their team in a way that makes their team a contender. I mean, we are talking about a guy who has played in a grand total of 13 playoff games in his entire career.

So, Danny sorta bet everything on landing a Moby Dick who kinda sorta isn't even a winner.

-Jason "losing Horford is going to hurt the Celtics a lot more than losing Kyrie" Evans