Page 29 of 29 FirstFirst ... 19272829
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    There was some initial speculation that OKC might buy out Paul's contract ($38.5 mil this year, $41.3 mil next year, $44.2 mil player option in 2021-22 = $124 mil, maybe he lets you buy him out for $90 or $100 mil?) which would allow him to sign with someone else for the veteran minimum. When that idea was being tossed around on Twitter, the world pretty much thought Paul would go play PG for the Lakers.

But, it certainly appears like OKC plans to either keep CP3 or extract some trade value for him so he won't be available cheap to further tilt the balance of power in the NBA.

One additional note on the massive haul of draft picks OKC has gotten lately.

While I am sure OKC fans are excited about their future and the tons of good, young players headed their way... a word of caution.

The NBA draft is a crapshoot and the odds are truly excellent that none of the 15 picks (or however many it is) they got will turn into a player as good as Russ or Paul George (the fact that the Hou picks are top 4 protected makes this even more likely). Having draft assets is a great thing, but at some point you need to turn them into rotation/starter/stars who can lead your team to the top of the NBA.

For the past decade, the Thunder have been home to some of the best players in the league (Durant, Harden, Westbrook, George) and the team has been at least fringe title contenders for a long time. Sadly, their success has always left them just a shade short of being the best in the league. There were plenty of years when they were good enough to win a title, but Lebron and Steph kept on standing in their way. Hope for the future is a great thing and can placate disgruntled fans for a while... but at some point that hope has to translate into some kind of NBA star and we all know how hard it is to find dudes like that... even if you are taking 15 swings in the draft at getting them.
    Are OKC fans disgruntled? Many are still pleased to have a relevant pro sports team, even if they lose the occasional great player.

Quote Originally Posted by chris13 View Post
    The Lakers are now the hot mess and the Clippers are the well run machine. All it took was Jerry Buss leaving the scene (RIP), Steve Ballmer buying the Clips, and Jerry West helping Ballmer. Has anyone had a better career than Jerry West? He's a Hall of Fame player AND he's arguably the greatest NBA front office executive of all time.
    Plus, he's the official image of the NBA. How cool is that?

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    Are there any more picks to trade for? I think they already have them all.
    There are so many more. RealGM maintains a list of every incoming and outgoing future draft pick for all 30 NBA teams, described in detail.

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    There are so many more. RealGM maintains a list of every incoming and outgoing future draft pick for all 30 NBA teams, described in detail.
    Thanks for sharing that. That’s very helpful and informative.

Antetokounmpo signs with the LA Lakers

The Los Angeles Lakers have claimed Kostas, the MVP's younger brother, off free agency waivers.

Oh man... I really feel for this dude. Boogie has apparently torn his ACL in off-season workouts. It probably won't be as bad as the Achilles injury he had but I would imagine he will be out until at least February.

Whew... this is a real blow to the Lakers, not a fatal one, but a serious one, I think. I suspected that Boogie was gonna have a big season. Oh well.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Oh man... I really feel for this dude. Boogie has apparently torn his ACL in off-season workouts. It probably won't be as bad as the Achilles injury he had but I would imagine he will be out until at least February.

Whew... this is a real blow to the Lakers, not a fatal one, but a serious one, I think. I suspected that Boogie was gonna have a big season. Oh well.
    Yep. They are thin as it is and this just makes them thinner.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Yep. They are thin as it is and this just makes them thinner.
    That said, it likely makes them smaller and forces them to play Brow at center more of the time, which is how the league works these days. I mean, I always thought their best lineup was probably Davis at the 5, BronBron at the 4 (de facto PG on offense), Kuzma at the 3, Green at the 2, and Bradley or Rondo (or Cook/KCP) at the point.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

That said, it likely makes them smaller and forces them to play Brow at center more of the time, which is how the league works these days. I mean, I always thought their best lineup was probably Davis at the 5, BronBron at the 4 (de facto PG on offense), Kuzma at the 3, Green at the 2, and Bradley or Rondo (or Cook/KCP) at the point.
    Their starting lineup is pretty good. Their bench is a big worry and in a long season- you need a decent bench.

10. I personally think this is addition by subtraction. I just don't see how LeBron, Davis and Boogie are going to be optimal playing together. They can make it work, sure, but any combo of the two plus Green or Kuzma is going to be a better three.

Boogie can shoot sure...for a center. You don't really want him taking too many 3-pointers. LeBron needs space to operate and wants the ball. Davis benefits from an offense that flows, not clogs because there is deliberate post play. And defensively these three playing together would face many mismatches, ie awful.

Anyway when it was announced that Boogie was joining I assumed they were going to stagger the lineups. With him out this will make roles more clear, and he will probably come off the bench once back.

Hah hah hah hah. Dwight Howard to the Lakers...

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Hah hah hah hah. Dwight Howard to the Lakers...
    Just what LeBron needs, a low-maintenance, team-oriented vet.

The Lakers now have the 2003, 2004 and 2012 #1 draft picks.