Page 2 of 29 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    Prince Harry just declined his one year $25.1 million player option with the Kings... he is now an unrestricted free agent.
    Eight years ago, would anyone have imagined Harry would be turning down $25 mil + for a year?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I just read the details of the draft picks the Pelicans got from the Lakers. Wow... did they ever get haul from Rob Pelinka.

The Pelicans get:

• No. 4 pick in 2019
    • Nothing in 2020 when the Lakers are likely to be really good
    • 2021 first-round pick (top-8 protected). Becomes unprotected 2022 pick if it does not convey in 2021, but it seems like the Lakers will still be good in 2021
    • Right to swap first-round picks in 2023 (so if Lakers have higher pick in draft, Pelicans can swap spots)
    • 2024 unprotected first-round pick, with the option to defer unprotected pick to 2025

Those 2 picks in 2023 and 2025 could be super valuable. Lebron will be 38-40 at that point and it is not impossible to imagine that the Lakers will be in serious decline at that point.

-Jason "David Griffin and Trajan Langdon may have gotten away with murder in this trade... we won't know for sure for a few years but it feels like it" Evans
    Also we could be looking at the big draft in 2022 when high school kids will be allowed to jump to the NBA.
    "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge" -Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by JNort View Post
    Also we could be looking at the big draft in 2022 when high school kids will be allowed to jump to the NBA.
    I just looked it up and the 2021 pick is REVERSE protected, which means unless the Lakers are really bad it will carry over to 2022. Picks in that “double draft” are considered really really valuable. The Pelicans made out like thieves in this trade, there’s now way any other team was going to offer close to this much.

Quote Originally Posted by CDu View Post
    The Lakers will almost certainly not have the cap space to sign Walker or any of the top free agents, unless those guys want to take a heavy discount or somehow convince New Orleans to weight until the end of the month to make the trade (that's when the #4 pick could be traded after being signed). Neither of which seem overly likely.
    The Lakers should try to get Ariza, Collison, Danny Green and other vets who are still really good but dont need a whole lot of help fitting in beside Lebron.

Woj bomb...

Al Horford is not close to a deal with the Celtics and is going to look to sign with some other team, likely a three or four year deal. I wonder how much he wants... $20-25 mil per season?

Jason “that is right in line with what the Lakers will have available “ Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    I just looked it up and the 2021 pick is REVERSE protected, which means unless the Lakers are really bad it will carry over to 2022. Picks in that “double draft” are considered really really valuable.
    Where did you see this? What is the reverse protection on it.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Woj bomb...

Al Horford is not close to a deal with the Celtics and is going to look to sign with some other team, likely a three or four year deal. I wonder how much he wants... $20-25 mil per season?

Jason “that is right in line with what the Lakers will have available “ Evans
    He doesn’t make sense for the Lakers. All they have are bigs, they need guards and shooters.

That said, if Horford and Irving leave, that is a huge blow for the Celtics.

Where did you see this? What is the reverse protection on it.
    Here's a link.

"As Tania Ganguli of The Los Angeles Times reports, the trade comes with reverse protection on that 2021 first-rounder,..."

So if it's in the top 8 then the Pelicans keep it, otherwise the Lakers keep it and the Pelicans get an unprotected 2022 pick.

I guess I was doing the math wrong in my head in terms of years; if Davis bolts after this coming season when he is a free agent then the Lakers could be in rebuilding/tank mode in 2020-2021, which means they could wind up with a top-8 pick in the 2021 draft. But I still think that's unlikely. I maintain my position that the Lakers gave up too much.

Al Horford is leaving Boston. And now it all comes crashing down for the Celtics. I don’t understand how it turned so bad so quickly. It’s really shocking to watch it happen piece by piece.

First, Jayson Tatum started saying he would be fine with potentially being the face of the New Orleans Pelicans. Then Anthony Davis made it clear he didn’t want to come to Boston. Then Horford jumped ship. Next will be Kyrie. As a lifelong Celtics fan this is very disheartening.

He doesn’t make sense for the Lakers. All they have are bigs, they need guards and shooters.

That said, if Horford and Irving leave, that is a huge blow for the Celtics.
    It’s all part of the master plan- Brad Stevens available when K retires.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    It is known, Khaleesi.

12. Kyrie did say he would re-sign if Boston wanted him. Boston made it clear it did not want him. Some of the online comments are vicious, hard to read if I were Kyrie and Kyrie is the type to read them.

13. He's a good coach, but is he a good recruiter?

I don’t know. I think Horford makes a lot of sense for the Lakers. He could play center, freeing up Anthony Davis to play PF. He is a career 37% 3-pt shooter. Pretty darn good if you ask me. And he does all of the dirty work and inglorious things — defense, rebounding, etc, — that are so important to a winning team. Additionally, he is an unselfish, modest, team-first guy.

Now that I think about it Horford be an ideal fit for the Lakers. Gosh, I hope they don’t get him. If I were the them I would strongly consider going after Horford first and then Brook Lopez (if Horford declines).

Quote Originally Posted by ice-9 View Post
    Kyrie did say he would re-sign if Boston wanted him. Boston made it clear it did not want him. Some of the online comments are vicious, hard to read if I were Kyrie and Kyrie is the type to read them.
    Where are you reading negative comments about Kyrie? Just curious.

He's a good coach, but is he a good recruiter?
    I think the Duke brand is so thoroughly established as the gold standard of college basketball that Brad Stevens would get good recruits without hardly trying. Besides, he took Butler — BUTLER! — to two straight NCAA tournament Finals, and came within an inch or so (the Hayward desperation three that just barely missed) of beating Duke in the 2010 National Championship game.

I cannot think of a better guy to coach Duke after K retires. However, I don’t really wish to go down this rabbit hole yet again. I probably shouldn’t have said anything. But I can’t resist.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Wow! So Tatum and Irving were in on this all along? The Brotherhood is STRONG!

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    This was the true pound of flesh extracted in the deal, the July 6 effective date.

What else will the Lakes have to throw in to postpone the effective date of the trade? They NEED that cap space to sign another All-star level player to team with LBJ to make this deal worthwhile and to make the most of the few years LBJ has left. If they don't get the space this year, can they create it next year? Waiting to resign AD until after they sign other free-agents?
    Stage 2 of the trade under way:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/a...x-salary-slot/

According to Wojnarowski, the deal will be completed on July 6, when the moratorium lifts. Assuming that's the case, the Lakers will have $23.7 million in cap space, which is not enough for a max deal. If the Pelicans are for some reason willing to wait until July 30 to finalize the trade, then the Lakers will have $32.5 million in cap space, which would be enough to go after a free agent who wants the max.

19. Look in the comments section of Kyrie articles. Friends from Boston. They really don't like him. I get why, but in return Kyrie doesn't have to like them back.

Look in the comments section of Kyrie articles. Friends from Boston. They really don't like him. I get why, but in return Kyrie doesn't have to like them back.
    Bill Simmons helped turn a lot of Celtics fans against Kyrie. It’s amazing how much one guy with a prominent platform from which to express his views can affect people’s perceptions.