Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Redick is a "good bench player?" You might have mentioned that, of the last 412 games he has played, JJ has started 398.
    Yea Truth&Injustice stretching it a bit I think. Not only has he dissed Redick, if I recall Wilt, Kareem, LeBron were “Pretty good” NBA rookies. Assuming Zion will not be a strong 1st year player is quite pessimistic.

Anyway, I’ll be shocked if this team doesn’t make the playoffs.

Redick is a "good bench player?" You might have mentioned that, of the last 412 games he has played, JJ has started 398.
    Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    Yea Truth&Injustice stretching it a bit I think. Not only has he dissed Redick, if I recall Wilt, Kareem, LeBron were “Pretty good” NBA rookies. Assuming Zion will not be a strong 1st year player is quite pessimistic.

Anyway, I’ll be shocked if this team doesn’t make the playoffs.
    Apologies for any confusion, certainly did not mean any disrespect to Jonathan Clay Redick. When I stated "while Jackson, Hart and Redick are good bench players," what I meant was that Jackson, Hart and Redick are the only players on the bench I would currently consider to be "good" or above. The rest of the bench looks below NBA-average to me.

Also, you mentioned LeBron--he was an excellent first year player, one of the very best ever...and he still didn't lead his team to the playoffs. There are no guarantees. Zion could have a fabulous season, but I'm firm in my belief that there are 8 other teams in the West that are more likely to make the playoffs--and that such an outcome would not be a bad long-term development for New Orleans.

Quote Originally Posted by kAzE View Post
    Still, if you're feeling strong enough about it, I'd be willing to wager a pie on the Pelicans making the playoffs. They will most likely lose in the first round to one of the top 3 seeds, but it will be valuable playoffs reps for Zion.
    I appreciate the offer, and I'm confident, but I don't know how I'd explain to my better half that I was receiving (or sending) a pie based off a bet I made on the internet with an anonymous stranger. Happy to check back in a year from now and acknowledge if you were right.

My answer is a little different from Nugget's. I believe his Duke tuition, fees, etc. were paid by the Chargers. He also received their munificent minor league pay of a few bucks a month during season. I can't remember if the Chargers deal started day one, but it may have, since they first discovered Trajan throwing with his dad while visiting Duke in HS.
    I stand corrected. Always better to do the research BEFORE shooting off my mouth. Sagegrouse is right -- it appears that the Padres did pay for Trajan's Duke expenses and he was never on a basketball scholarship.

JJ is awfully valuable to the Blue Dev... I mean Pelicans as analyzed above, but he also offers an additional sort of value. If you're a title contender that is "one piece away" and that piece happens to be a shooter, you'd probably gladly mortgage your future to make a trade before the deadline. Especially if you have a certain aging superstar running the show or an overly eager front office. Now I understand this is a bit of a reach, but since NO has the cap space to pay out JJ either season and it's a short, affordable deal, JJ could bless NO's younger players with his wisdom before netting them future picks and getting to go chase a championship.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    PG: Lonzo Ball, Frank Jackson, Nickeil Alexander-Walker
    SG: Jrue Holiday, JJ Redick, E’Twaun Moore
    SF: Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Kenrich Williams
    PF: Zion Williamson, Davis Bertans, Christian Wood
    C: Derrick Favors, Jahlil Okafor, Jaxson Hayes

If even for only 15 seconds, it would be fun to see that lineup on the court at the same time. Has it ever happened? Has an NBA team ever had five on the court from the same school, much less the same coach?
    Duke could have had three Plumlee's (MP1, MP2 and MP3) on the court at one time, but never did during a regular season game because Marshall redshirted. Good thing, too, because MP3 was certainly more valuable to the team as a 5th year senior than he would have been as a true frosh.
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Duke could have had three Plumlee's (MP1, MP2 and MP3) on the court at one time, but never did during a regular season game because Marshall redshirted. Good thing, too, because MP3 was certainly more valuable to the team as a 5th year senior than he would have been as a true frosh.
    Marshall Plumlee was also the least college ready McDonald's all American that I've ever seen. I remember watching video of a team practice from his redshirt year and he had no idea what he was doing. He was so uncoordinated that calling him Bambi on ice would've been giving him too much credit.

I'm with Truth&Justise on this one, and we're not alone. Generally the buzz is that NO has a great future, and maybe even has an outside shot at the playoffs next year. Mayyyyybe. If they develop ahead of schedule and Zion turns out to be as insanely good as people hope. But it would be very surprising if they actually made the playoffs next year, and that probably shouldn't even be the goal. Let guys develop, get some more talent. Trust the process, but hope it doesn't take as long as it did for Philly.
    Last edited by brlftz; 07-02-2019 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling his name the Justise way

I think it's more likely than not that the Pelicans make the playoffs. Holiday, Zion, Redick, Ingram, Lonzo, Favors is a great core and the West will be significantly weaker this year with the Lakers being potential frontrunners. If Zion gets his 3pt shot down, his playing alongside Redick and Holiday would be detrimental for any team that wants to keep an inside presence on defense...and Zion/Holiday/Redick (sometimes) are also great slashers. I'd expect to see a lot of PnR with Zion and JJ/Holiday with Ingram in the corner. If I were the Pelicans coach, I'd be ecstatic with the amount of potential and versatility the current roster would have in a halfcourt offense.

Quote Originally Posted by Hancock 4 Duke View Post
    I think it's more likely than not that the Pelicans make the playoffs. Holiday, Zion, Redick, Ingram, Lonzo, Favors is a great core and the West will be significantly weaker this year with the Lakers being potential frontrunners. If Zion gets his 3pt shot down, his playing alongside Redick and Holiday would be detrimental for any team that wants to keep an inside presence on defense...and Zion/Holiday/Redick (sometimes) are also great slashers. I'd expect to see a lot of PnR with Zion and JJ/Holiday with Ingram in the corner. If I were the Pelicans coach, I'd be ecstatic with the amount of potential and versatility the current roster would have in a halfcourt offense.
    I actually think Brandon Ingram is going to be the first option offensively. Before LeBron came to LA, Ingram played a significant amount of point guard for the Lakers, and had some of his best games as a pro during that time. He's a very good scorer and decision maker off the dribble. For their halfcourt offense, I would want the gameplan to involve a heavy dose of an Ingram/Zion pick and roll with JJ running around screens and spacing the floor.

If only I had known, I would have helped...

There are three reasons for the Pels to sign JJ, IMHO (where the H was waylaid along Bourbon Street in 1981):

1. His shooting.

2. His team defense.

3. His work ethic, which is reportedly astounding and sends a strong message of professionalism to younger players.

For a young team, #3 is a big deal.

Kindly,
    Sage Grouse
    'By the way, I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of the Duke players are traded before opening day'

Sage - wish you had told me. I showed up to New Orleans as a freshman in the fall of 1982. I meandered down to Bourbon Street a few times in my 4 years there. I would have gladly looked for it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by rhynelander View Post
    JJ is awfully valuable to the Blue Dev... I mean Pelicans as analyzed above, but he also offers an additional sort of value. If you're a title contender that is "one piece away" and that piece happens to be a shooter, you'd probably gladly mortgage your future to make a trade before the deadline. Especially if you have a certain aging superstar running the show or an overly eager front office. Now I understand this is a bit of a reach, but since NO has the cap space to pay out JJ either season and it's a short, affordable deal, JJ could bless NO's younger players with his wisdom before netting them future picks and getting to go chase a championship.
    That's actually a really good point. I'm sceptical that JJ had this in mind when signing his contract but if he did, it could end up being the craftiest decision in NBA history.

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    And now I'm thinking about Baker 🤪

I actually think Brandon Ingram is going to be the first option offensively. Before LeBron came to LA, Ingram played a significant amount of point guard for the Lakers, and had some of his best games as a pro during that time. He's a very good scorer and decision maker off the dribble. For their halfcourt offense, I would want the gameplan to involve a heavy dose of an Ingram/Zion pick and roll with JJ running around screens and spacing the floor.
    Quite the variance of NO blue devils projections for this coming year. Up thread someone said even LeBron didn’t make playoffs his 1st year. But he didn’t have nearly the returning help Zion will have. I think Zion is a star out of the gate and with Ingram and other near-stars; I think this team wins at least 45 games. Should be enough in the West.

In addition to adding Redick and Favors, David Griffin signed another free agent, one that probably most people aren't familiar with: Nicolo Melli, who played the last 2 seasons with Fenerbahce, Turkish club in the Euroleague. He is a 28 year old versatile combo forward who is a 39% 3 point shooter, and was the top scorer in the Euroleague finals last year. This is exactly the type of guy this roster needed. A big forward who can play with Zion and space the floor.

I'm loving this roster. Redick, Favors, and Melli are all veteran players who complement Zion perfectly.

In addition to adding Redick and Favors, David Griffin signed another free agent, one that probably most people aren't familiar with: Nicolo Melli, who played the last 2 seasons with Fenerbahce, Turkish club in the Euroleague. He is a 28 year old versatile combo forward who is a 39% 3 point shooter, and was the top scorer in the Euroleague finals last year.
    Was wondering who that was. Thanks for the brief. Saved me a trip to Google.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Was wondering who that was. Thanks for the brief. Saved me a trip to Google.
    I actually undersold this guy’s shooting. He shot a combined 42.1% from 3 the past 4 seasons. He’s 6’9”, 235 and has a wet jumper... how did nobody else try to sign this guy?

David Griffin is killing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Sage - wish you had told me. I showed up to New Orleans as a freshman in the fall of 1982. I meandered down to Bourbon Street a few times in my 4 years there. I would have gladly looked for it for you.
    If only there was a streetcar that ran between Tulane/Audubon Zoo and the French Quarter. I fervently wished and hoped that there would be one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    If only there was a streetcar that ran between Tulane/Audubon Zoo and the French Quarter. I fervently wished and hoped that there would be one.
    Somehow the name Stella keeps running through my head.

Somehow the name Stella keeps running through my head.
    "I always depend upon the kindness of strangers."

Great line.