Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
Gotta be honest, I don't quite understand this move.

Yes, New Orleans lacked shooting, and JJ is one of the very best. But he's 35 now, way out of step with New Orleans' competitive window.

Is New Orleans currently a playoff team? Do they want to be? JJ is the kind of missing-piece veteran that can put a contender over the hump, but I don't know if it really moves the needle to have him help New Orleans win 35 games instead of 30. Why not just give all that playing time to Frank Jackson, who is now stuck behind Lonzo Ball and Jrue Holiday? Why the push for the playoffs in Year 1 of Zion...it will only make it harder to add co-stars via the draft.

As for JJ, I'm really surprised a contender didn't offer comparable money. This is likely his last two seasons of consistent, 20-ish minutes per game for a contender, and he can make a difference. Really surprised there wasn't a better offer--this feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

So I'm excited for five Blue Devils on the Pelicans...but it doesn't really make sense to me.
I think you're underestimating how good this team is. 35 wins would be a disaster with the talent they have. This is a playoff team already. The western conference lost a good bit of talent. Everyone is saying that the East could actually be stronger for the first time in generations. The entire league is wide open this upcoming season (unless Kawhi does the unthinkable and signs with the Lakers).

Back to Pelicans, though. This is legitimately one of the deepest rosters in the entire league, quite literally 3 deep with rotation quality NBA players at every position:

PG: Lonzo Ball, Frank Jackson, Nickeil Alexander-Walker
SG: Jrue Holiday, JJ Redick, E’Twaun Moore
SF: Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart, Kenrich Williams
PF: Zion Williamson, Davis Bertans, Christian Wood
C: Derrick Favors, Jahlil Okafor, Jaxson Hayes

With the one caveat being Brandon Ingram's health, that team should win between 42 and 50 games. It should definitely be one of the best defensive teams in the league. Ball/Holiday is quite likely the best defensive backcourt in the NBA. Zion, Ingram, Hart, Moore, and Favors are all considered plus defenders. I would 100% bet on them making the playoffs and possibly getting to the 2nd round.

JJ is a very key piece for this team as the key floor spacer. This is going to be one of the most heavily followed teams in the league next year, and as a future media guy, I think JJ did really well for himself. It's a great fit on both sides. It's not a title contender, but he's getting paid well to be a key role player on a playoff team.