Page 8 of 27 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    Well, maybe nickel is surely possible, lol.
    "Frankly, my dear, I don't give a dime."

Or something like that.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    It was actually a 38 to 17 loss in a 10 minute scrimmage. The US is still -225 to win it all but this is a bit concerning. Hopefully they show up tonight vs. Spain.
    Anyone want to take the field and I take the US? I'm not all that concerned about the scrimmage "loss." Serbia is the only team in the field that has much of a chance, I suspect, and even that is a small chance (maybe Serbia wins 1 out of 5 games against this team, probably less). Pops is one of the top 5 basketball coaches in the world. He will have these guys playing winning hoops, I'm confident of that.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Anyone want to take the field and I take the US? I'm not all that concerned about the scrimmage "loss." Serbia is the only team in the field that has much of a chance, I suspect, and even that is a small chance (maybe Serbia wins 1 out of 5 games against this team, probably less). Pops is one of the top 5 basketball coaches in the world. He will have these guys playing winning hoops, I'm confident of that.
    Colangelo said they had practiced hard until late the night before and for several hours before the scrimmage. It doesn’t seem worrisome at all when put into context.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by subzero02 View Post
    It was actually a 38 to 17 loss in a 10 minute scrimmage. The US is still -225 to win it all but this is a bit concerning. Hopefully they show up tonight vs. Spain.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ect-Team-By-21
    Hopefully it's an early game...the Spanish don't do anything until about 10pm from what I've seen!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Hopefully it's an early game...the Spanish don't do anything until about 10pm from what I've seen!
    Yeah, but 10pm in Spain is like early afternoon in Anaheim.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Here are the Canadian NBA guys who have dropped out (or gotten hurt): RJ Barrett...
    Isn’t his dad the president of Canadian Basketball? That’s going to make for an awkward dinner table conversation when RJ goes home for Thanksgiving. (Or whatever they celebrate in November in Canada.)

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Isn’t his dad the president of Canadian Basketball? That’s going to make for an awkward dinner table conversation when RJ goes home for Thanksgiving. (Or whatever they celebrate in November in Canada.)
    Probably so. Rowan is the GM of the Canadian national team. T'giving in Canada is October 14 this year.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

PJ Tucker has hurt his ankle and is out of the running for a World Cup spot. That could be good news for Mason as I think he is one of the last guys on the cut line for the team and PJ would fill an at least somewhat similar role.

There are very few traditional bigs on this team... Mason and Lopez are really it... and Mason does have a good bit of experience guarding Joker (who will be the most dangerous/best player in the tournament).

-Jason "the more I think about it the more I think Mason makes the team" Evans

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans
    -Jason "the more I think about it the more I think Mason makes the team" Evans
    Mason is the starter against Spain. I think he is making the team.

Tatum was very aggressive but just couldn’t finish. It did feel like his teammates were treating him as the go-to guy. He had some good passes too.

Oh my! Tatum just yakked all over Spain.

Jason “that means he slam dunked with much authority “ Evans

16 point lead on the world #2 team Spain (though without Pau and I suspect Serbia is actually better) as we wind down the second quarter.

I shudder to think what that team of G-leaguers would be doing to Spain right now. 30 point lead? 50?

Squad was tough tonight. Good playing from guys who hadn't really shown a lot to date such as Kuzma and Middleton. The team shot well from 3 but lots of turnovers. Still, they are deep and had no problem handling this Spain side. I thought they played Spursy offense early on, with lots of ball movement and quick decisions, but we kind of reverted to more iso ball and pushing pace in the second half. Our guys played well, Mason got a few long looks. The cuts will be tough. Fox didn't play a lot, he kind of went Fox first half and White second half, but they are both behind Kemba and Mitchell. Of the wings, Brown seemed to play the least, I haven't seen minutes but I think he played less than Harris, Tatum, Barnes and Middleton. The bigs are different looks, Lopez has the shooting, Turner the athleticism, Mason the hustle and picks. We'll see.

Judging from the box score, Pop is doing a good job continuing the K strategy of not playing two bigs together and utilizing an NBA wing at PF. (This is, of course, in contrast to the poor spacing of the George Karl and Larry Brown led 2002 and 2004 Team USAs, which Pop assisted on.) I'm not sure Pop played ANY two-big lineups against Spain, and this will make USA much less upset-prone if it continues. Keep in mind that USA typically still dominates on the glass using quickness and athleticism despite playing "small." The same was true in this exhibition game, as USA out-rebounded Spain 42-20.

Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    It's quite possible 19-yr-old RJ isn't ready to contribute to Team Canada at a high level, and this was a mutual decision for him and his dad. Even an NBA role player like Corey Joseph is much better than RJ at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    Judging from the box score, Pop is doing a good job continuing the K strategy of not playing two bigs together and utilizing an NBA wing at PF. (This is, of course, in contrast to the poor spacing of the George Karl and Larry Brown led 2002 and 2004 Team USAs, which Pop assisted on.) I'm not sure Pop played ANY two-big lineups against Spain, and this will make USA much less upset-prone if it continues. Keep in mind that USA typically still dominates on the glass using quickness and athleticism despite playing "small." The same was true in this exhibition game, as USA out-rebounded Spain 42-20.

It's quite possible 19-yr-old RJ isn't ready to contribute to Team Canada at a high level, and this was a mutual decision for him and his dad. Even an NBA role player like Corey Joseph is much better than RJ at this point.
    If RJ can’t contribute to Team Canada at high level, why would we think he could be better this year for the Knicks? Those fans will go nuts if he’s only a mediocre rookie.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    RJ played for Team Canada in some tournaments last summer, FIBA qualifying, I believe. He was widely seen as the best player on the team despite several NBA guys being on the squad. He would have unquestioningly helped the team, but I think when a lot of the other Canadian NBA guys opted out of the World Cup, the family decided it was better to prepare for his rookie NBA season.

It is clear that the Olympics are what matters to the top tier of the basketball world.

Fox withdraws from consideration for Team USA

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    Fox withdraws from consideration for Team USA
    Feels like he was saving face. Pop may have told him he was a long shot.

How many cuts are left? 1 or 2, right?

Feels like he was saving face. Pop may have told him he was a long shot.

How many cuts are left? 1 or 2, right?
    I think 1 more cut. Maybe Marcus Smart?

Quote Originally Posted by richardjackson199 View Post
    I think 1 more cut. Maybe Marcus Smart?
    Without Fox, Smart looks more like a lock. Smarts best attribute is defense, and he’s the best defender on the team (he’s so much better than Brown). Fox is a really good defender, and having him off the team means Smart is your only true lock down defender.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club