Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Ummm, this looks like a decent contender. No, not on a level with Serbia or Spain or Greece... but not exactly a team without any shot of staying on the court with Team USA or the other top teams. I would not project them for a medal, but I would expect to find them in the quarterfinals (if they can get out of their tough group with Russia and Argentina).
    Already with a loss- against Russia

WaPo take

Here's the Washington Post's story on the US team in the World Cup: https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...gets-underway/

Which TV network is carrying the game on Sunday?

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Already with a loss- against Russia
    A few interesting storylines after the first day even with no real surprises. China's win and Iran's loss to Puerto Rico continues to give them the edge for Asia's Olympic spot. Nigeria's loss does not remove them from being the favorite for Africa's spot, but reduces the chances of them clinching it early. Five years ago, the Philippines tested a bunch of European teams because of how long they had been absent from the world stage, meaning that they played a completely different style than most of these teams had ever seen. This time, there were no surprises and Italy rolled to an easy win.

Quote Originally Posted by hallcity View Post
    Which TV network is carrying the game on Sunday?
    ESPN+, which will cover all the group stage games. USA knockout round games and maybe a few others will be on an ESPN television channel.

Win # 1
    USA 88 Czech Republic 67 Mitchell 16 pt, barnes 14 and Tatum 10

all the data could find for now

This may be earlier in the thread...

but this might make it easier for everyone to track the scores and standings..

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019

Quote Originally Posted by du_bb1 View Post
    Win # 1

Hopefully, that barnes # is his turnover stat and we won in spite of his performance.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Thanks for the link

Quote Originally Posted by juise View Post
    I can't believe the game was only on ESPN+, which I don't have. I suppose there were way more important games going on at 8:30 in the morning.

This reminds me of the time that I had to wait until 11 PM to watch the sixth and deciding game of the 1980 NBA finals. I guess that Magic and Dr. J just weren't important enough. In case you went to bed early that night, Magic scored 42 and Wilkes 37 as the Lakers took the series.

I expect that some of our younger viewers are wondering what I'm talking about, but that's the way things used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by miramar View Post
    ... This reminds me of the time that I had to wait until 11 PM to watch the sixth and deciding game of the 1980 NBA finals. I guess that Magic and Dr. J just weren't important enough. In case you went to bed early that night, Magic scored 42 and Wilkes 37 as the Lakers took the series.

I expect that some of our younger viewers are wondering what I'm talking about, but that's the way things used to be.
    I didn't realize Jim Spanarkel played in that game (or that he played for Philly that year): https://www.basketball-reference.com...005160PHI.html

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    but this might make it easier for everyone to track the scores and standings..

http://www.fiba.basketball/basketballworldcup/2019
    I still can’t find a box score. That is one irritating web site.

Win # 1

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I still can’t find a box score. That is one irritating web site.
    This should work for the boxscore
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    This should work for the boxscore
    Thanks.

A few comments from the boxscore...

• USA only attempts 6 FTs. I wonder if that is a sign of the refs swallowing their whistles or we simply aren't driving the ball and getting hit the way you might see in a normal game.
    • Turner (16:20) + Lopez (9:24) + Plumlee (5:09) = 30:53 of playing time. That means team USA went with no big man for almost 10 minutes of the game. Middleton, Tatum, or Barnes would be the "big" in those scenarios. That can work much of the time, but there will be teams (Serbia and Spain are two prime examples) where you must have someone to match up with a quality big.
    • Mason with the fewest minutes of anyone on the team... at least he is there.
    • Only 7 turnovers. If we keep our turnovers under 10, we probably beat anyone else in this tourney.
    • Lopez and Plumlee were the only guys on the team who played less than 14 minutes. Very balanced minutes... which is to be expected in a semi-competitive game like this one

Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    A few comments from the boxscore...

• Mason with the fewest minutes of anyone on the team... at least he is there.

They better give Mason his minutes. Mason could sick his little brother on them ...

Storylines after the third day:

China missed a chance to virtually clinch Asia's Olympic berth, falling to Poland in overtime. Poland will advance from this group along with the winner of the China-Venezuela game.

Nigeria lost to old man Scola and Argentina, preventing them from advancing as Russia and Argentina move on and will play each other in the next game.

That leaves the door open for Tunisia to take Africa's Olympic berth after they beat Iran, leaving them with a game against Puerto Rico where the winner will join Spain in the next round.

The last group playing to day had no surprises with Serbia and Italy already advancing before playing each other.

Tuesday's game against Turkey will be the toughest in this stage for the United States, although probably not quite a knockout round level opponent.

Oceania's Olympic berth could be nearly resolved tomorrow if New Zealand loses to Montenegro and Australia beats Senegal. Brazil's old guard got them a win in their first game in this group, but Greece will be a big test.

Germany will need to bounce back quickly after testing France in the first game, but they should be able to beat the Dominican Republic decisively.

Canada will be forced to qualify for the Olympics in the extra tournaments next year if they lose to Lithuania as it looks like multiple teams from the Americas will make it to the next stage.

Halftime against Turkey, up 5 but should be up more. A very typical Team USA FIBA game, we had many opportunities to push a 9-10 point lead to 15 but then we miss some shots, usually because we get hacked and no call, and then they hit some 3s. Interesting to see former Florida point guard Scotty Wilbekin playing for Turkey. Mason still nailed to the bench. His lack of scoring has to be the reason. Our other bigs can both stroke 3s.

We are in a dogfight with Turkey, up 4 to start the 4th after Kemba hit a 30 foot 3 at the buzzer to end the 3rd.
    Last edited by Billy Dat; 09-03-2019 at 10:03 AM.