Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bigperm13 View Post
    Honest question here: do y'all think most of these guys, Bagley especially, that have withdrawn would have stayed had K still been the coach? Nothing against Pop at all, but I say definitely.
    I think the team this year would be totally different if coach K was still there.Coach K not only knows the new era of player he knows how to adapt better.The younger players of today dont want to play for a rigid smart mouth personality like Popovich.This loss has been brewing for a while with everybody opting out.This will not be the USAs only loss.

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Send the A team-noone touches them. Send the B (or C) team (absent a dominant force like Durant or international Melo) and the US is vulnerable against a good team. Even with the 78 game streak, I didn't for a second think the USA was invincible and don't understand how someone could look at this roster and think they were.
    This clearly isn’t even the B team. I’m not even sure it’s the C team. I mean, there are several guys on this team who aren’t even starters for their NBA team. A few of the players are B teamers but most are C or D. This is really the C-minus team.

Jason “full props to Kamba for sticking around. He deserves to be automatically put on the Olympic team next year“ Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

3. Right, but consider the competition. Patty Mills? Bogut? As C tier as this iteration of the US team, they are still heavily favored for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by mattyoung18 View Post
    I think the team this year would be totally different if coach K was still there.Coach K not only knows the new era of player he knows how to adapt better.The younger players of today dont want to play for a rigid smart mouth personality like Popovich.This loss has been brewing for a while with everybody opting out.This will not be the USAs only loss.
    I wonder if the dropouts became self-reinforcing in that guys didn’t want to be part of the first team in a long time that was at real risk of underperforming.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    You mean as opposed to New York Melo? Or OKC Melo? Or Houston Melo?
    Melo Rankings:
    Tier 1
    1. Team USA Melo
    2. Hoodie Melo

Tier 2
    3. Denver Melo
    4. Cuse Melo

Tier 3
    5. National TV Game Knicks Melo

Tier 4
    6. Regular Knicks Melo

Tier 99
    7. OKC Melo
    8. Houston Melo

Edit - I’m keeping my list up there for fun, but looking st advance stats his Knicks years were better than Nuggets years despite my perception otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Melo Rankings:
    Tier 1
    1. Team USA Melo
    2. Hoodie Melo

Tier 2
    3. Denver Melo
    4. Cuse Melo

Tier 3
    5. National TV Game Knicks Melo

Tier 4
    6. Regular Knicks Melo

Tier 99
    7. OKC Melo
    8. Houston Melo

Edit - I’m keeping my list up there for fun, but looking st advance stats his Knicks years were better than Nuggets years despite my perception otherwise

I'd separate out NCAA Tourney Melo and put him in Tier 1. His performance should be in the convo for Top 10 all-time and a lock for the Top 20/25 all-time.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I'd separate out NCAA Tourney Melo and put him in Tier 1. His performance should be in the convo for Top 10 all-time and a lock for the Top 20/25 all-time.
    That performance was almost good enough to get him drafted ahead of Darko...

We handled Canada quite easily but this Canada squad is pretty weak...not weak compared to some of the countries that will be in China but weak compared to the upper echelon of squads.

I think Dan Devine strikes the right notes in this piece about how it is more interesting to watch a more vulnerable Team USA than it is to watch a squad bulldoze everyone
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/8...fiba-world-cup

While Pop continued to try some different line-ups, he seems to be settling into a core rotation.

Walker, Mitchell, Turner, Barnes, Tatum and Brown seem to be firmly established.

In the next tier are Harris and Middleton, and probably Smart. Middleton has been pretty underwhelming to me.

Then I'd place Mason, Lopez and White. I'd have had Mason in the next tier up until this Canada game but he had a fairly poor showing and saw little light in the second half. He seems like he is doing all the right things but guys seem to score on him, and he never EVER looks at the basket which I think is a limitation for him.

Pop has messed around with a bunch of line-ups with none of Turner, Lopez or Plumlee, the only guys who can be considered bigs. I haven't seen any line-up data, but the eye test told me that those line-ups didn't do very well. While our defense was good today, the offense seems stagnant and we are resorting to a lot of one-on-one. I can't tell whether Pop is doing that deliberately to press our advantage or if guys are reverting to it. I see much less off ball movement than before. We essentially have the big set a high screen and then the ball-handler tried to make something happen, either a drive or a drive and kick-out, etc.

Can this team lose? Yes. But people forget that we have had close calls in both exhibitions and official games in every tournament we've played in since the pros came back in 2006. I am pretty sure we'll win this one, but the fact that I am not 100% sure is actually interesting rather than a disgrace.

Can this team lose? Yes. But people forget that we have had close calls in both exhibitions and official games in every tournament we've played in since the pros came back in 2006. I am pretty sure we'll win this one, but the fact that I am not 100% sure is actually interesting rather than a disgrace.
    Yeah, there was Serbia last Olympics, Lithuania before that, Russia (I think?) in 2010. Except for '08, where the US was in no-BS mode and on a mission, there have been close calls in every competition or exhibition build up. While I do think they will get it done this year, my confidence is the lowest it has been. As has been discussed, this is the C team at best, and it doesn't generate nearly the amount of offense from its defense as past iterations. Serbia, Greece, Spain, or obviously Australia will provide a test.
    Last edited by -jk; 08-26-2019 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Fix quote tag

Quote Originally Posted by robed deity View Post
    Yeah, there was Serbia last Olympics, Lithuania before that, Russia (I think?) in 2010. Except for '08, where the US was in no-BS mode and on a mission, there have been close calls in every competition or exhibition build up. While I do think they will get it done this year, my confidence is the lowest it has been. As has been discussed, this is the C team at best, and it doesn't generate nearly the amount of offense from its defense as past iterations. Serbia, Greece, Spain, or obviously Australia will provide a test.
    Even in 2008, the Gold Medal game against Spain went down to the final minute. Going back to the 2000 Olympics, Lithuania missed a 3 that would have won the semi-final game at the buzzer. All anyone remembers is the Gold Medal game when Vince Carter jumped over Frederick Weiss.

I am not trying to die on the hill of, "This isn't a C team". But, if this group of players was able to play together for longer and run an offense and defense they were familiar with, we actually would win every game by 30. But, that's the fun of these FIBA tournaments, can our superior overall talent and depth get on the same page quickly enough to win the 1-2 games we could lose if the other teams plays great and we play average?

I do think a lot of the dropouts are the result of pushing the championships back a year and being too close to the Olympics. Players don’t really want to sign up for back-to-back summers of international basketball. When there was a two-year gap between the FIBA and the Olympics it was an easier ask for the players who might try to play both.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    I think Dan Devine strikes the right notes in this piece about how it is more interesting to watch a more vulnerable Team USA than it is to watch a squad bulldoze everyone
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/8...fiba-world-cup

I like the tone that that article sets a lot, as well, and totally agree that the potential competitiveness of the tournament will be a feature and not a bug. When other national teams are able to field a lineup that has guys who can compete at every level (particularly at the wing spots, as that's where the US has always held a pretty dominant advantage), there is going to be the possibility for the kinds of games that we saw in that second one against AUS. None of the Australian guys are stars, but they have a starting lineup full of NBA players, and many of those are NBA players with significant playoff experience contributing on really good teams. Patty Mills has been a contributor on a title-winning team. Bogut has, as well. Delly has. Aaron Baynes (kind of) has, and he and Joe Ingles have definitely played big roles on playoff teams. Bad basketball teams occasionally beat exceptionally good teams on occasion even at the highest levels, particularly when the chips aren't really down; as one of the resident Timberwolves fans on the board, I will never forget watching Shabazz "BazzGod" Muhammed DESTROY the eventual 73-9 Warriors team, and I'd argue that the discrepancy between those TWolves and the Warriors was greater than that between this US team (especially in their, what, third game ever playing together?) and this Australian squad.

Anyway, that's all a rambling way of saying that there's no need for a ton of handwringing; this group is what it is. They're a team that is going to work hard, is going to do some cool things defensively, and when shots are falling, will look really good. But it's also a group that is going to see some really ugly offensive sequences. The US has the best talent top to bottom, but there are certainly teams that have the guys to compete, and that's cool. It CERTAINLY doesn't make this all a referendum on Pop or anything like that. This is just a really tricky group to try to pull consistent offense out of, to be honest, especially without having the option of instilling a really complex system (even beyond the fact that these aren't the most talented players in the US pool). One of the main strong points of Team USA has always been that we just have so many guys who are good options to run the offense, and that's just not the case here. Other than Kemba and Mitchell (and even Mitchell is in a heavily egalitarian offense where Rubio and Ingles did a ton of the ball-handling last year), there really isn't another guy on the team that consistently has significant ball-handling duties in the NBA season. Particularly from the wing, most of the guys are either finishers or ball movers, not initiators. That's why it's not surprising to see more iso play this year than usual as things break down. We just don't have the luxury of having, say, 4 guys who regularly run an offense (say, from a random 2016 lineup, Durant, Kyrie, Jimmy Butler, and Paul George) on the court at the same time. It's not that Pop has decided that going with an iso-heavy offense is always right, it's that when you have those types of guys, it is easier to have a prettier-looking offense. There's going to be a ton of intrigue this time around about how to generate consistently good shots against good defensive teams, and that'll be fun to watch! We've got a bunch of guys who can hit bad shots (Walker, Tatum, Barnes, Mitchell, Middleton), but when push comes to shove and we aren't hitting those, what's the move? I'm looking forward to seeing what Pop can dig up.

On a different note, I remain intrigued to see if Australia can maintain a high level of play throughout the tournament. Their biggest question marks to me are a) can Bogut stay healthy enough/find enough juice to even approximate what he did to the US in multiple games, b) can they get enough scoring from their non-starting 5+Bogut to keep them in games, and c) can Joe Ingles find his shot? If they get something from Bogey, something from the bench, and some star turns from Ingles, they can definitely hang with and beat the best teams in the world in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOldBattleship View Post
    I like the tone that that article sets a lot, as well, and totally agree that the potential competitiveness of the tournament will be a feature and not a bug. When other national teams are able to field a lineup that has guys who can compete at every level (particularly at the wing spots, as that's where the US has always held a pretty dominant advantage), there is going to be the possibility for the kinds of games that we saw in that second one against AUS. None of the Australian guys are stars, but they have a starting lineup full of NBA players, and many of those are NBA players with significant playoff experience contributing on really good teams. Patty Mills has been a contributor on a title-winning team. Bogut has, as well. Delly has. Aaron Baynes (kind of) has, and he and Joe Ingles have definitely played big roles on playoff teams. Bad basketball teams occasionally beat exceptionally good teams on occasion even at the highest levels, particularly when the chips aren't really down; as one of the resident Timberwolves fans on the board, I will never forget watching Shabazz "BazzGod" Muhammed DESTROY the eventual 73-9 Warriors team, and I'd argue that the discrepancy between those TWolves and the Warriors was greater than that between this US team (especially in their, what, third game ever playing together?) and this Australian squad.

Anyway, that's all a rambling way of saying that there's no need for a ton of handwringing; this group is what it is. They're a team that is going to work hard, is going to do some cool things defensively, and when shots are falling, will look really good. But it's also a group that is going to see some really ugly offensive sequences. The US has the best talent top to bottom, but there are certainly teams that have the guys to compete, and that's cool. It CERTAINLY doesn't make this all a referendum on Pop or anything like that. This is just a really tricky group to try to pull consistent offense out of, to be honest, especially without having the option of instilling a really complex system (even beyond the fact that these aren't the most talented players in the US pool). One of the main strong points of Team USA has always been that we just have so many guys who are good options to run the offense, and that's just not the case here. Other than Kemba and Mitchell (and even Mitchell is in a heavily egalitarian offense where Rubio and Ingles did a ton of the ball-handling last year), there really isn't another guy on the team that consistently has significant ball-handling duties in the NBA season. Particularly from the wing, most of the guys are either finishers or ball movers, not initiators. That's why it's not surprising to see more iso play this year than usual as things break down. We just don't have the luxury of having, say, 4 guys who regularly run an offense (say, from a random 2016 lineup, Durant, Kyrie, Jimmy Butler, and Paul George) on the court at the same time. It's not that Pop has decided that going with an iso-heavy offense is always right, it's that when you have those types of guys, it is easier to have a prettier-looking offense. There's going to be a ton of intrigue this time around about how to generate consistently good shots against good defensive teams, and that'll be fun to watch! We've got a bunch of guys who can hit bad shots (Walker, Tatum, Barnes, Mitchell, Middleton), but when push comes to shove and we aren't hitting those, what's the move? I'm looking forward to seeing what Pop can dig up.

On a different note, I remain intrigued to see if Australia can maintain a high level of play throughout the tournament. Their biggest question marks to me are a) can Bogut stay healthy enough/find enough juice to even approximate what he did to the US in multiple games, b) can they get enough scoring from their non-starting 5+Bogut to keep them in games, and c) can Joe Ingles find his shot? If they get something from Bogey, something from the bench, and some star turns from Ingles, they can definitely hang with and beat the best teams in the world in the tournament.
    Good content, thanks. It would be easier to read with a few more paragraph breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by MartyClark View Post
    Good content, thanks. It would be easier to read with a few more paragraph breaks.
    Ha, someone's got to provide the content for the Wu He fans on DBR...

"Why Team USA has no margin for error at the FIBA World Cup" - by Brian Windhorst
    https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...fiba-world-cup

This is another good article, but I disagree with his comment that the run-up to this tournament is similar to the run-up to the 2004 Olympics. We got drilled by Italy by almost 20 points in an exhibition and most of the other games were kind of close against meh competition.

Nice article by Windhorst. It's better than those old Chris Sheridan articles basically predicting a US loss every tournament.

If the US loses, it won't be from lack of focus or anyone overlooking or disrespecting anyone- it will be a very good team getting outplayed by a good, less talented but more experienced group that just had a better night.

How worried should we be about Team USA" - Rodger Sherman and John Gonzalez
    https://www.theringer.com/nba/2019/8...p-anticipation

I found this fairly annoying but it lays out the pessimist perspective fairly well. I never agree with the takes of "these guys are acting like they don't want to be there".

Does anyone know where the games will be broadcast? FIBA's website is suggesting to watch games on ESPN+ - is that the sole broadcaster or will something like NBATV (or a main ESPN network) carry at least the US's games?
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

At last check, here are the rosters of all 31 teams besides the United States with club teams for the last season and any American ties noted:

China (family names first where applicable):
    Abudushalamu Abudurexiti, Xinjiang (China)
    Fang Shuo, Beijing (China)
    Guo Ailun, Liaoning (China)
    Makan Kelanbaike, Xinjiang (China)
    Ren Junfei, Guangdong (China)
    Sun Minghui, Guangsha (China)
    Wang Zhelin, Fujian (China), Drafted 57th in 2016 by Memphis Grizzlies
    Yi Jianlian, Guangdong (China), NBA (2007-2012)
    Zhai Xiaochuan, Beijing (China)
    Zhao Jiwei, Liaoning (China)
    Zhao Rui, Guangdong (China)
    Zhou Qi, Xinjiang (China), NBA (2017-2018)

Ivory Coast:
    Charles Abouo, Blois (France), BYU
    Frejus Zerbo, Bourg (France)
    Bali Coulibaly, Rupella (France)
    Mohamed Kone, Vichy-Clermont (France), Valparaiso
    Bryan Pamba, Caen (France)
    Souleyman Diabate, SLUC Nancy (France)
    Tiegbe Bamba, Chartres (France), Portland State
    Deon Thompson, Zalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania), UNC
    Nonma Adjehi, Coruna (Spain), College of Charleston
    Vafessa Fofana, Hermine Nantes (France)
    Guy Landri Edi, Chalons-Reims (France), Gonzaga
    Abraham Sie, Abidjan (Ivory Coast)

Poland:
    Aleksander Balcerowski, Gran Canaria (Spain
    Aaron Cel, Torun (Poland)
    Karol Gruszecki, Torun (Poland), UT-Arlington
    Adam Hrycaniuk, Zielona Gora (Poland), Cincinnati
    Lukasz Koszarek, Zielona Gora (Poland)
    Damian Kulig, Torun (Poland)
    Kamil Laczynski, Wloclawek (Poland)
    Dominik Olejniczak, Ole Miss
    Mateusz Ponitka, Lokomotiv Kuban (Russia)
    A.J. Slaughter, Lyon-Villeurbanne (France), Western Kentucky
    Michal Sokolowski, Zielona Gora (Poland)
    Adam Waczynski, Malaga (Spain)

Venezuela:
    Gregory Vargas, Lara (Venezuela)
    Jose Vargas, Lara (Venezuela)
    Miguel Ruiz, Trouville (Uruguay)/Carabobo (Venezuela)
    Dwight Lewis, Gimnasia (Argentina), USC
    Jhornan Zamora, Ourense (Spain)/Carabobo (Venezuela)
    Luis Bethelmy, Lara (Venezuela)
    Windi Graterol, Brasilia (Brazil)/Boca Juniors (Argentina)
    Michael Carrera, Obras (Argentina)/Carabobo (Venezuela), South Carolina
    Pedro Chourio, Estudiantes Concordia (Argentina)/Carabobo (Venezuela)
    Anthony Perez, Carabobo (Venezuela), Ole Miss
    Heissler Guillent, Lara (Venezuela)
    Nestor Colmenares, Lara (Venezuela), Campbellsville (NAIA)

Argentina:
    Nicolas Brussino, Canarias (Spain), NBA (2016-17)
    Agustin Caffaro, Libertad (Argentina)
    Facundo Campazzo, Real Madrid (Spain)
    Gabriel Deck, Real Madrid (Spain)
    Marcos Delia, Joventut Badalona (Spain)
    Maximo Fjellerup, San Lorenzo (Argentina)
    Tayavek Gallizzi, Regatas Corrientes (Argentina)
    Patricio Garino, Saski Baskonia (Spain), George Washington and NBA (2017)
    Nicolas Laprovittola, Joventut Badalona (Spain), NBA (2016)
    Lucio Redivo, Breogan (Spain)
    Luis Scola, Shanghai (China), NBA (2007-2017)
    Luca Vildoza, Saski Baskonia (Spain)

Nigeria:
    Ike Diogu, Bayamon Cowboys (Puerto Rico), Arizona State and NBA (2005-2012)
    Micheal Eric, Darussafaka (Turkey), Temple
    Josh Okogie, Minnesota Timberwolves, Georgia Tech
    Stanley Okoye, Zaragoza (Spain), VMI
    Al-Farouq Aminu, Portland Trailblazers, Wake Forest
    Chimezie Metu, San Antonio Spurs, USC
    Ike Iroegbu, Lietkabelis (Lithuania), Washington State
    Talib Zanna, Ironi Nes Ziona (Israel), Pitt
    Ben Uzoh, no club, Tulsa and NBA (2010-2012)
    Ekpe Udoh, Utah Jazz, Baylor
    Jordan Nwora, Louisville
    Gabe Vincent, Stockton Kings (D-League), UC Santa Barbara

Russia:
    Semen Antonov, CSKA Moscow (Russia)
    Evgeny Baburin, Nizhny Novgorod (Russia)
    Vitaly Fridzon, Lokomotiv Kuban (Russia)
    Sergey Karasev, Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia), NBA (2013-2016)
    Mikhail Kulagin, CSKA Moscow (Russia)
    Nikita Kurbanov, CSKA Moscow (Russia)
    Vladimir Ivlev, Lokomotiv Kuban (Russia)
    Grigory Motovilov, Spartak Primorye (Russia)
    Andrei Sopin, Revda (Russia)
    Evgeny Valiev, Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia)
    Andrey Vorontsevich, CSKA Moscow (Russia)
    Andrey Zubkov, Khimki Moscow (Russia)

South Korea (family names first where applicable):
    Choi Jun-Yong, Seoul (South Korea)
    Heo Hoon, Busan (South Korea)
    Jung Hyo-Geun, Incheon (South Korea)
    Kang Sang-Jae, Incheon (South Korea)
    Kim Jong-Kyu, Changwon (South Korea)
    Kim Sun-Hyung, Seoul (South Korea)
    Lee Dae-Sung, Ulsan (South Korea), BYU-Hawaii (DII)
    Lee Jung-Hyun, Jeonju (South Korea)
    Lee Seoung-Hyun, Goyang (South Korea)
    Park Chan-Hee, Incheon (South Korea)
    Ricardo Ratliffe, Ulsan (South Korea), Missouri
    Yang Hee-Jong, Anyang (South Korea)

Iran:
    Aaron Geramipoor, no club, Seton Hall
    Hamed Haddadi, Champville (Lebanon), NBA (2008-2013)
    Mohammad Hassanzadeh, Abadan (Iran)
    Hamed Hosseinzadeh, Chemidor (Iran)
    Mohamad Jamshidi, Chemidor (Iran)
    Samad Nikkah Bahrami, no club
    Sajjad Mashayekhi, Petrochimi (Iran)
    Rasoul Mozarfari, Abadan (Iran)
    Meisam Mirzaei, Petrochimi (Iran)
    Michael Rostampour, Abadan (Iran), Nebraska-Omaha
    Behnam Yakhchali, Petrochimi (Iran)
    Arman Zangeneh, Chemidor (Iran)

Puerto Rico:
    Renaldo Balkman, Alab (ASEAN), South Carolina and NBA (2006-2012)
    Chris Brady, Fukushima (Japan), Monmouth
    Gary Browne, Ironi Nes Ziona (Israel)/San German Athletics (Puerto Rico), West Virginia
    Gian Clavell, Estudiantes (Spain), Colorado State and NBA (2017)
    Ramon Clemente, San Lorenzo (Argentina), Wichita State
    Devon Collier, Arecibo Captains (Puerto Rico), Oregon State
    Jorge Bryan Diaz, Quebradillas Pirates (Puerto Rico), Nebraska
    Alex Franklin, Quebradillas Pirates (Puerto Rico), Siena
    David Huertas, Monterrey (Mexico)/Arecibo Captains (Puerto Rico)
    Javier Mojica, Durango (Mexico)/Bayamon Cowboys (Puerto Rico), Central Connecticut State
    Isaiah Pineiro, San Diego, Signed with Sacramento Kings
    Angel Rodriguez, Rio Grande Valley Vipers (D-League), Miami

Spain:
    Javi Beiran, Canarias (Spain)
    Victor Claver, Barcelona (Spain), NBA (2012-2015)
    Quino Colom, Bahcesehir (Turkey)
    Rudy Fernandez, Real Madrid (Spain), NBA (2008-2012)
    Marc Gasol, Toronto Raptors, Lausanne Collegiate (Tennessee)
    Juancho Hernangomez, Denver Nuggets
    Willy Hernangomez, Charlotte Hornets
    Sergio Llull, Real Madrid (Spain), Drafted 35th in 2013 by Denver Nuggets with rights held by Houston Rockets
    Pierre Oriola, Barcelona (Spain)
    Xavi Rabaseda, Gran Canaria (Spain)
    Pau Ribas, Barcelona (Spain)
    Ricky Rubio, Utah Jazz

Tunisia:
    Omar Abada, Saint-Chamond (France)
    Mohamed Abassi, Rades (Tunisia)
    Makram Ben Romdhane, Saint-Chamond (France)
    Ziyed Chennoufi, Rades (Tunisia)
    Mourad El Mabrouk, Rades (Tunisia)
    Mokhtar Ghayaza, Rades (Tunisia)
    Mouhamed Hadidane, Rades (Tunisia)
    Nizar Knioua, Stade Nabeulien (Tunisia)
    Salah Mejri, Dallas Mavericks
    Omar Mouhli, Rades (Tunisia)
    Michael Roll, Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel), UCLA
    Radhouane Slimane, Monastir (Tunisia)

Angola:
    Jose Antonio, Petroleos (Angola)
    Olimpio Cipriano, Petroleos (Angola)
    Leandro Jacques Conceicao, Benfica (Portugal), William Paterson (DIII)
    Gerson Domingos, Interclube (Angola)
    Jerson Lukeny Goncalves, Petroleos (Angola)
    Valdelicio Joaquim, Quimper (France), Hawaii
    Hermengildo Mbunga, Petroleos (Angola), Montana State
    Eduardo Mingas, Primeiro de Agosto (Angola)
    Carlos Morais, Petroleos (Angola), Community Christian (Georgia)
    Reggie Moore, Aviacao (Angola), Oral Roberts
    Yanick Moreira, Virtus Bologna (Italy), SMU
    Leonel Paulo, Petroleos (Angola)

Italy:
    Awudu Abass, Brescia Leonessa (Italy)
    Marco Bellinelli, San Antonio Spurs
    Paul Biligha, Reyer Venezia (Italy)
    Jeff Brooks, Olimpia Milano (Italy), Penn State
    Luigi Datome, Fenerbahce (Turkey), NBA (2013-2015)
    Amedeo Della Valle, Olimpia Milano (Italy), Ohio State
    Ariel Filloy, Avellino (Italy)
    Alessandro Gentile, Estudiantes (Spain), Drafted 53rd in 2014 by Minnesota Timberwolves with rights last held by Houston Rockets
    Danilo Gallinari, Los Angeles Clippers
    Daniel Hackett, CSKA Moscow (Russia), USC
    Amedeo Tessitori, Treviso (Italy)
    Luca Vitali, Brescia Leonessa (Italy)

Philippines:
    Japeth Aguilar, Barengay Ginebra (Phillipines), Western Kentucky
    Raymond Almazan, Meralco (Philippines)
    Mark Barroca, Magnolia (Philippines)
    Andray Blatche, Tianjin (China), South Kent (Connecticut) and NBA (2005-2014)
    Robert Bolick, NorthPort (Philippines)
    June Mar Fajardo, San Miguel (Philippines)
    Paul Lee, Magnolia (Philippines)
    Gabe Norwood, Rain or Shine (Philippines), George Mason
    CJ Perez, Columbia (Philippines)
    RR Pogoy, TNT (Philippines)
    Kiefer Ravena, NLEX (Philippines)
    Troy Rosario, TNT (Philippines)

Serbia:
    Stefan Bircevic, Bonn (Germany)
    Nemanja Bjelica, Sacramento Kings
    Bogdan Bogdanovic, Sacramento Kings
    Marko Guduric, Fenerbahce (Turkey), Signed with Memphis Grizzlies
    Nikola Jokic, Denver Nuggets
    Stefan Jovic, Bayern Munich (Germany)
    Vladimir Lucic, Bayern Munich (Germany)
    Boban Marjanovic, Philadelphia 76ers
    Vasilije Micic, Anadolu Efes (Turkey), Drafted 52nd in 2014 by Philadelphia 76ers
    Nikola Milutinov, Olympiakos (Greece), Drafted 26th in 2015 by San Antonio Spurs
    Miroslav Raduljica, Jiangsu (China), NBA (2013-2015)
    Marko Simonovic, Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia)

Czech Republic:
    Patrik Auda, Pistoia (Italy), Seton Hall
    Ondrej Balvin, Gran Canaria (Spain)
    Jaromir Bohacik, Nymburk (Czech Republic)
    Vojtech Hruban, Nymburk (Czech Republic)
    Martin Kriz, Nymburk (Czech Republic)
    Lukas Palyza, Olomucko (Czech Republic)
    Martin Peterka, Nymburk (Czech Republic)
    Pavel Pumprla, Nymburk (Czech Republic)
    Tomas Satoransky, Washington Wizards
    Blake Schilb, Chalons-Reims (France), Loyola (Ill)
    Jakub Sirina, Opava (Czech Republic)
    Tomas Vyoral, Nymburk (Czech Republic)

Japan:
    Seiya Ando, Tokyo (Japan)
    Shuto Ando, Nagoya (Japan)
    Yudai Baba, Tokyo (Japan)
    Nick Fazekas, Kanagawa (Japan), Nevada and NBA (2007-2008)
    Rui Hachimura, Gonzaga, Signed with Washington Wizards
    Makota Hiejima, Utsunomiya (Japan)
    Avi Schafer, Tokyo (Japan), Georgia Tech
    Ryusei Shinoyama, Kanagawa (Japan)
    Joji Takeuchi, Tokyo (Japan)
    Kosuke Takeuchi, Utsunomiya (Japan)
    Daiki Tanaka, Tokyo (Japan)
    Yuta Watanabe, Memphis Grizzlies, George Washington

Turkey:
    Dogus Balbay, Anadolu Efes (Turkey), Texas
    Sertac Sanli, Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
    Bugrahan Tuncer, Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
    James Metecan Birsen, Anadolu Efes (Turkey)
    Melih Mahmutoglu, Fenerbahce (Turkey)
    Ege Arar, Galatasaray (Turkey)
    Semih Erden, Istanbul Buyuksehir (Turkey), NBA (2010-2012)
    Yigit Arslan, Bursa (Turkey)
    Cedi Osman, Cleveland Cavaliers
    Ersan Ilyasova, Milwaukee Bucks
    Furkan Korkmaz, Philadelphia 76ers
    Scotty Wilbekin, Maccabi Tel Aviv (Israel), Florida

Brazil:
    Leandro Barbosa, Minas (Brazil), NBA (2003-2017)
    Vitor Benite, Miraflores (Spain), Southern Miss
    Bruno Caboclo, Memphis Grizzlies
    Didi Louzada, Franca (Brazil), Drafted 35th in 2019 by Atlanta Hawks with rights held by New Orleans Pelicans
    Yago Mateus Dos Santos, Paulistano (Brazil)
    Cristiano Felicio, Chicago Bulls
    Alex Garcia, Bauru (Brazil), NBA (2003-2004)
    Marcelo Huertas, Saski Baskonia (Spain), Coppell (Texas) and NBA (2015-2017)
    Augusto Lima, Miraflores (Spain)
    Rafael Freire Luz, Andorra (Spain)
    Marcus Viera, Flamengo (Brazil), NBA (2006-2008)
    Anderson Varejao, Flamengo (Brazil), NBA (2004-2017)

Greece:
    Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks
    Thanasis Antetokounmpo, Panathinaikos (Greece), NBA (2016)
    Ioannis Bourousis, Guangsha (China)
    Nick Calathes, Panathinaikos (Greece), Florida and NBA (2013-2015)
    Georgios Papagiannis, Panathinaikos (Greece), NBA (2016-2018)
    Georgios Printezis, Olympiakos (Greece), Drafted 58th in 2007 by San Antonio Spurs with rights held by San Antonio Spurs
    Giannoulis Larentzakis, AEK Athens (Greece)
    Evangelos Mantzaris, Olympiakos (Greece)
    Ioannis Papepetrou, Panathinaikos (Greece), Texas
    Kostas Papanikolaou, Olympiakos (Greece), NBA (2014-2016)
    Kostas Sloukas, Fenerbahce (Turkey)
    Panagiotis Vasiolopoulos, Peristeri (Greece)

Montenegro:
    Milko Bjelica, Tokyo (Japan)
    Bojan Dubljevic, Valencia (Spain), Drafted 59th in 2013 by Minnesota Timberwolves with rights held by Portland Trailblazers
    Nikola Ivanovic, Buducnost (Montenegro)
    Derek Needham, Vilnius (Lithuania), Fairfield
    Aleksa Popovic, Lovcen (Montenegro)
    Petar Popovic, Buducnost (Montenegro)
    Dino Radoncic, UCAM Murcia (Spain)
    Sead Sehovic, Buducnost (Montenegro)
    Suad Sehovic, Buducnost (Montenegro)
    Nemanja Radovic, Zaragoza (Spain)
    Marko Todorovic, Joventut Badalona (Spain), Drafted 45th in 2013 by Portland Trailblazers with rights last held by Houston Rockets
    Nikola Vucevic, Orlando Magic, USC

New Zealand:
    Tom Abercrombie, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Wellington Saints (New Zealand), Washington State
    Finn Delany, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/FMP Belgrade (Serbia), Southwest Baptist (DII)
    Isaac Fotu, Ulm (Germany), Hawaii
    Shea Ili, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Wellington Saints (New Zealand)
    Jarrod Kenny, Cairns Taipans (Australia)/Hawke's Bay Hawks (New Zealand)
    Rob Loe, Cairns Taipans (Australia)/Wellington Saints (New Zealand), Saint Louis
    Jordan Ngatai, New Zealand Breakers (Australia)/Wellington Saints (New Zealand), BYU-Hawaii (DII)
    Alex Pledger, Melbourne United (Australia)/Southland Sharks (New Zealand), Belmont Abbey (DII)
    Ethan Rusbatch, Hawke's Bay Hawks (New Zealand), Lincoln Trail (JC)
    Tohi Smith-Milner, Melbourne United (Australia)/Kilsyth Cobras (Australia), Polk State (JC)
    Corey Webster, New Zealand Breakers (Australia), Lambuth (NAIA)
    Tai Webster, Galatasaray (Turkey), Nebraska

Dominican Republic:
    Eulis Baez, Gran Canaria (Spain)/Rafael Barias (Dominican Republic), Western Illinois
    Juan Jose Garcia, Amics Castello (Spain)
    Victor Liz, Ponce Lions (Puerto Rico)
    Rigoberto Mendoza, Mexico City (Mexico)/Aguada Santeros (Puerto Rico)
    Luis Montero, Caracas (Venezuela), South Plains (JC) and NBA (2015-2018)
    Dagoberto Pena, Pasvalys (LIthuania), Marshall
    Ronald Ramon, Mauricio Baez (Dominican Republic), Pitt
    Ronald Roberts, Jena (Germany), St. Joseph's
    Sadiel Rojas, UCAM Murcia (Spain), Oklahoma Wesleyan (NAIA)
    Gelvis Solano, Ciclista Olimpico (Argentina), Merrimack (DII)
    Juan Miguel Suero, Fajardo Cariduros (Puerto Rico)/Mauricio Baez (Dominican Republic)
    Eloy Vargas, Gimnasia (Argentina)/Carabobo (Venezuela), Kentucky

France:
    Andrew Albicy, Andorra (Spain)
    Nicolas Batum, Charlotte Hornets
    Nando De Colo, CSKA Moscow (Russia), NBA (2012-2014)
    Evan Fournier, Orlando Magic
    Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz
    Louis Labeyrie, Valencia (Spain), Drafted 57th in 2014 by Indiana Pacers with rights by New York Knicks
    Paul Lacombe, Monaco (France)
    Mathias Lessort, Malaga (Spain), Drafted 50th in 2017 by Philadelphia 76ers with rights held by Los Angeles Clippers
    Amath M'Baye, Virtus Bologna (Italy), Oklahoma
    Frank Ntilikina, New York Knicks
    Vincent Poirier, Saski Baskonia (Spain), Signed with Boston Celtics
    Axel Toupane, Olympiakos (Greece), NBA (2016-2017)

Germany:
    Ismet Akpinar, Ulm (Germany)
    Danilo Barthel, Bayern Munich (Germany)
    Robin Benzing, Besiktas (Turkey)
    Niels Giffey, Berlin (Germany), UConn
    Maximilian Kleber, Dallas Mavericks
    Maodo Lo, Bayern Munich (Germany), Columbia
    Andreas Obst, Obradoiro (Spain)
    Dennis Schroder, Oklahoma City Thunder
    Daniel Theis, Boston Celtics
    Johannes Thiemann, Berlin (Germany)
    Johannes Voigtmann, Saski Baskonia (Spain)
    Paul Zipser, Miraflores (Spain), NBA (2016-2018)

Jordan:
    Ahmad Aldwairi, Fenerbahce (Turkey)
    Mousa Alawadi, Kofer Youba (Jordan)
    Dar Tucker, San Lorenzo (Argentina), DePaul
    Zaid Abbas, Al-Ahli (Bahrain)
    Mahmoud Abdeen, Al Jazeera (Jordan)
    Yousef Abu Wazaneh, Al Riyadi (Jordan)
    Mohammad Hussein, Al Ahli (Jordan)
    Ahmad Alhamarsheh, Al Wehdat (Jordan)
    Amin Abu Hawwas, Orthodox (Jordan), Mars Hill (DII)
    Ahmad Obeid, Orthodox (Jordan)
    Fadi Ibrahim, Tampa (DII)
    Jordan Dasuqi, Al Jazeera (Jordan), Lake Superior State (DII)

Australia:
    Aron Baynes, Boston Celtics, Washington State
    Andrew Bogut, Sydney Kings (Australia)/Golden State Warriors, Utah
    David Barlow, Melbourne United (Australia)/Sandringham Sabres (Australia), Metro State (DII)
    Mitch Creek, Minnesota Timberwolves
    Matthew Dellavedova, Cleveland Cavaliers, St Mary's
    Cameron Gliddon, Brisbane Bullets (Australia)/Canterbury Rams (New Zealand), Concordia (NAIA)
    Chris Goulding, Melbourne United (Australia)
    Joe Ingles, Utah Jazz
    Nick Kay, Perth Wildcats (Australia)/Wellington Saints (New Zealand), Metro State (DII)
    Jock Landale, Partizan Belgrade (Serbia), St. Mary's
    Patty Mills, San Antonio Spurs, St. Mary's
    Nathan Sobey, Adelaide 36ers (Australia)/Strasbourg (France), Wyoming

Canada:
    Khem Birch, Orlando Magic, UNLV
    Melvin Ejim, UNICS Kazan (Russia), Iowa State
    Brady Heslip, Frankfurt (Germany), Baylor
    Cory Joseph, Indiana Pacers
    Kaza Kajami-Keane, Zwolle (Netherlands), Cleveland State
    Owen Klaasen, Ludwigsburg (Germany)
    Conor Morgan, Joventut Badalona (Spain)
    Andrew Nembhard, Florida
    Kevin Pangos, Barcelona (Spain), Gonzaga
    Phil Scrubb, Zenit St. Petersburg (Russia)
    Thomas Scrubb, Varese (Italy)
    Kyle Wiltjer, Malaga (Spain), Gonzaga and NBA (2016-2017)

Lithuania:
    Arnas Butkevicius, Vilnius (Lithuania)
    Rokas Giedraitis, Berlin (Germany)
    Marius Grigonis, Zalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania)
    Paulius Jankunas, Zalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania)
    Mantas Kalnietis, Lyon-Villeurbanne (France)
    Mindaugas Kuzminskas, Olimpia Milano (Italy), NBA (2016-2017)
    Lukas Lekavicius, Panathinaikos (Greece)
    Jonas Maciulis, AEK Athens (Greece)
    Domantas Sabonis, Indiana Pacers, Gonzaga
    Renaldas Seibutis, Zaragoza (Spain), Draftd 50th in 2007 by Dallas Mavericks with rights held by Cleveland Cavaliers
    Edgaras Ulanovas, Zalgiris Kaunas (Lithuania)
    Jonas Valanciunas, Memphis Grizziles

Senegal:
    Xane Dalmeida, Charleville-Mezieres (France)
    Moustapha Diop, Tallinna Kalev (Estonia)
    Mouhammad Faye, Red Star Belgrade (Serbia), SMU
    Ibrahima Fall Faye, Leuven (Belgium)
    Makhtar Gueye, UAB
    Hamady Ndiaye, Avellino (Italy), Rutgers and NBA (2010-2014)
    Maurice Ndour, UNICS Kazan (Russia), Ohio and NBA (2016-2017)
    Momar Ndoye, Forez (France)
    Youssoupha Ndoye, Bourg (France), St. Bonaventure
    Lamine Sambe, Rueil (France)
    Djibril Thiam, Pont-de -Cheruy (France), Wyoming
    Babacar Toure, Fribourg (Switzerland)

Quote Originally Posted by awhom111 View Post
    Nigeria:
    Ike Diogu, Bayamon Cowboys (Puerto Rico), Arizona State and NBA (2005-2012)
    Micheal Eric, Darussafaka (Turkey), Temple
    Josh Okogie, Minnesota Timberwolves, Georgia Tech
    Stanley Okoye, Zaragoza (Spain), VMI
    Al-Farouq Aminu, Portland Trailblazers, Wake Forest
    Chimezie Metu, San Antonio Spurs, USC
    Ike Iroegbu, Lietkabelis (Lithuania), Washington State
    Talib Zanna, Ironi Nes Ziona (Israel), Pitt
    Ben Uzoh, no club, Tulsa and NBA (2010-2012)
    Ekpe Udoh, Utah Jazz, Baylor
    Jordan Nwora, Louisville
    Gabe Vincent, Stockton Kings (D-League), UC Santa Barbara
    Ummm, this looks like a decent contender. No, not on a level with Serbia or Spain or Greece... but not exactly a team without any shot of staying on the court with Team USA or the other top teams. I would not project them for a medal, but I would expect to find them in the quarterfinals (if they can get out of their tough group with Russia and Argentina).
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?