Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, as a result, the US will fail to medal in the World Championship of a sport we invented
    RJ Barrett would like to have a word.

Naismith was both. Born in Canada and became a naturalized American citizen.

Wow

France sent their best... Argentina sent their best... Serbia sent their best... Greece sent their best. The US and Canada (and Ben Simmons of Australia) opted not to take it seriously. I'm glad they lost.

So, as a result, the US will fail to medal in the World Championship of a sport we invented and in which we have always dominated. You can say no one cares, but I still say it is shameful that we care so little about the sport we have spread across the planet.

Jerry Colangelo and USA Basketball, who clearly have zero spine and were unwilling to actually challenge NBA players to step up for their nation, deserve some scorn as well.

-Jason "while I am at it, I should note that Canada needs to fire Rowan Barrett and the other folks running their team for not finding a way to convince RJ and other Canadians to compete... national team leaders, YOU HAD ONE JOB, and you failed miserably at it" Evans
    Be careful when you try to get down off that horse.

I don't think that it had been mentioned earlier, but the quarterfinals results mean that Spain and France clinched the last two automatic Olympics berths. That means that the consolation brackets games will all be completely meaningless.

I am disappointed mostly because there was a possibility that the United States with a win in this event and a win on the women's side in a few weeks at the Americas level would have been the current holder of every available FIBA title.

USA trying to crawl back into the game right now after an absolutely embarrassing 1st quarter in which Serbia pummeled us 32-7.

This is not just about the roster, which has become an absurd take. I hope America realizes Coach K's greatness in FIBA.

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    USA trying to crawl back into the game right now after an absolutely embarrassing 1st quarter in which Serbia pummeled us 32-7.

This is not just about the roster, which has become an absurd take. I hope America realizes Coach K's greatness in FIBA.
    I saw most of Q1 and am now going to watch the second half. What keyed the 2nd Q comeback?

We keep losing Bogdanovicj...he’s got 7 threes. We are down 3 with 3 to go in 3rd. Mason getting run.

Mason getting some burn, playing fairly well with lots of energy. Leads Team USA in rebounding right now with 4 in just 8 minutes of playing time. Serbia is hitting their 3s in a big way, over 50%, and they lead by 5 with about a minute left in the third.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Mason getting some burn, playing fairly well with lots of energy. Leads Team USA in rebounding right now with 4 in just 8 minutes of playing time. Serbia is hitting their 3s in a big way, over 50%, and they lead by 5 with about a minute left in the third.
    And Lopez goes back in at center and Boban promptly posts him up and scores on him. At least the US is being competitive on the boards in this game as opposed to France.

Serbia leads 71-68 headed to the 4th quarter.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

If we can hold them under 20 this Q, we win.

We need to hit some of these wide open 3s...Middleton and Harris both missed clean balanced looks.

Whoa... Harrison Barnes just absolutely took out a Serbian player on a pick by lowering his shoulder and leaning into the guy. I'm sorta surprised no one went after Barnes for it, but I guess Serbian players are polite.

Meanwhile, Boban owns Lopez. Just scored in the post on back to back possessions and Serbia leads by 7 with 8 minutes left. Lopez has a plus-minus -17... which is not good.

We can’t score right now...we did a good job in Q3 taking it to the hole and drawing fouls, especially Barnes, but we stopped.

Serbia by 10 with 2 minutes left. They just space the floor and find the open man a ton better than we do. In fairness to the Black Falcon, Barnes has been the most aggressive player on offense for team USA this game and is probably playing the smartest of anyone at this point. Not that it really matters when the other team is carving you up the way Serbia is.

Some folks tried to write off the France loss and compare it to K losing in his first World Cup but it appears Pop is on his way to 3 losses in about a month with NBA players. He clearly did not do a good job of melding this collection of good (but not great) NBA players into a competitive team. I mean, they basically lost or should have lost (Turkey) to most of the good international teams they played.

For a team trying to hang it’s hat on defense, ours just wasn’t good enough these past two games. Giving up 32 in Q1 didn’t help, but they have scored 20 in every other quarter. Not good enough for a team that isn’t an offensive machine.

Serbia wins 94-89. US can finish no higher than 7th.

Back to the drawing board.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    For a team trying to hang it’s hat on defense, ours just wasn’t good enough these past two games.
    Serbia hit 56% of their 2s and 48% of their 3s with just 6 turnovers... Not the kind of stats a strong defensive team allows.

I believe this year will be the US's worst finish ever in a major international tournament. We've never finished off the podium in an Olympics and had not previously finished worse than 6th in a FIBA championship.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Cue all the discussion of "has the game passed us by" versus "has the rest of the world caught up."

K did a fantastic job of "recruiting" and buy in. Not easily replicated.
    Let's go Duke!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Cue all the discussion of "has the game passed us by" versus "has the rest of the world caught up."

K did a fantastic job of "recruiting" and buy in. Not easily replicated.
    Almost 5 years to the day, this Woj on K hack job, a veritable polish civil war, seems even more absurd then the day he wrote it

https://sports.yahoo.com/news/nba-ne...044717393.html