Page 4 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Add Kevin Love and Paul Millsap to the list of guys who have pulled out of the team. This thread already included the news that they asked JJ Redick to play but he is too busy moving his family to Nawlins so he said no. They also asked Montrezl Harrell and he has declined too. To be clear, Harrell is not even a starter (he's one of the best subs in the league, but still) and yet he does not want to even try out for Team USA.

As it stands, the participants who haven’t yet bowed out are Mason Plumlee, Jaylen Brown, Julius Randle, Marcus Smart, Thaddeus Young, Harrison Barnes, Andre Drummond, Kyle Kuzma, Brook Lopez, Kyle Lowry, Khris Middleton, Donovan Mitchell, Jayson Tatum, P.J. Tucker, Myles Turner, and Kemba Walker. Soon we’ll hear that Randle “was powerfully passionate about representing his country,” but might have left his oven on and really should go check on it.
    We are still the overwhelming favorite. I mean, even if there are games where we don't have the best player on the floor, there will never be a game where Team USA's 3rd or 4th best player isn't miles better than his corresponding opponent and I suspect pretty much every other team in the tourney will have at least 1 starter who would not even make our 12-man roster.

-Jason "Still... the lack of patriotism is disappointing. Do these guys get paid by USA Basketball?" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 07-27-2019 at 12:40 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I certainly do not have much knowledge on the other teams in the tournament, but I would not be surprised to see the USA lose a game. I mean the last team to beat the national team wasn’t exactly full of NBA players. There is very little international experience and the coach is not crafting a team but rather barely scraping it together. A loss might be more likely in the group round when the team is learning to play together under international rules/style.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Add Kevin Love and Paul Millsap to the list of guys who have pulled out of the team. This thread already included the news that they asked JJ Redick to play but he is too busy moving his family to Nawlins so he said no. They also asked Montrezl Harrell and he has declined too. To be clear, Harrell is not even a starter (he's one of the best subs in the league, but still) and yet he does not want to even try out for Team USA.

We are still the overwhelming favorite. I mean, even if there are games where we don't have the best player on the floor, there will never be a game where Team USA's 3rd or 4th best player isn't miles better than his corresponding opponent and I suspect pretty much every other team in the tourney will have at least 1 starter who would not even make our 12-man roster.

-Jason "Still... the lack of patriotism is disappointing. Do these guys get paid by USA Basketball?" Evans
    I think a ton of this is tied into the craziness of the off-season, which was naturally also tied to the timing with the Warriors coming apart/taking a step back/whatever. I feel bad for Pop; this was about the worst possible summer to get the top-level guys to commit to playing. (Also at play: the fact that it's "just" the world cup, and the sense that, as I think someone said somewhere in this thread, we might be seeing that USA basketball just is going to go through ebbs and flows of interest as we peak (Dream team, Redeem team, etc.) and then, as the team completely dominates for a while, the interest wanes until a tough tournament or some other factor brings it back to the fore.)

It's really going to be interesting to see what the final roster looks like and how they end up playing: the pieces don't fit together super coherently offensively, but, man, you can see the bones of a heck of a defensive team here. Just picking out of a hat, lineup of, say, Lowry, Middleton, Brown, Young, and Turner would be TOUGH, and could be pretty versatile defensively, and you could easily put Smart, Tatum, Tucker, or Lopez/Drummond into that lineup and not lose a ton on that end, and if Mitchell really commits himself to that end of the floor, he could join that group (that would also be potentially big for the Jazz next year...). This is going to be a really interesting go-round with who makes the team and who doesn't; it'll say a lot about what Pop is looking for and how the team will end up playing, I think. Does he keep it more defense-focused? Or does he include guys who are more valuable on the offensive end (Randle, Barnes, Kuzma), since this team is going to be a bit low on consistent top scoring options?

I've always loved USA Basketball and have followed it extremely closely.

My understanding has always been that the coach does not get involved in the recruiting, that is nearly 100% Jerry Colangelo's job. As such, I think it's not correct that say that this team is experiencing defections because K is a great recruiter and Pop is not.

Adding to that, the idea that these players would rather play for K than Pop is also a stretch. A recent "The Athletic" piece did a survey of over 100 NBA players and Pop won the "Coach I'd Most Like to Play for" poll in a landslide - https://clutchpoints.com/spurs-news-...t-to-play-for/
    I don't think the current situations has anything to do with the coach.

I think the new World Cup format took the wind out of the sails of USA Basketball a little bit. The old schedule was every two years..World Cup...Olympics...World Cup, etc. The last major event where the upper echelon NBA guys played was 2016. While they did hold a mini-camp with Coach Pop last summer, it's been a longer stretch than usual so we've lost some momentum.

I think of Kyrie as the last young star to shine on the Team USA stage. When I scan the NBA Drafts since Kyrie, especially the 2013-2016 window that would potentially give us the young studs to embrace/leverage that Team USA platform, there aren't really that many who have become NBA stars. So, I think an under-reported part of this story, and one that the All NBA Teams highlight, is that there aren't that many "26 and under" American NBA superstars of the Lebron, Wade, AD variety. The players are still great, but they aren't yet superstars. A lot of they guys brought up through the Team USA pipeline at the U16-U19 levels in this bracket that I am talking about didn't become NBA stars - our Duke guys are cases in point - Jah, Tyus, Luke, Justise, etc.

I do worry a bit that we'll lack a go to guy ala Kobe in 2008, KD in 2010, KD/LBJ in 2012, to carry the scoring load when we need buckets, but I am sure one will emerge.

I have a lot of faith in the Colangelo infrastructure that has been built up. Many of these players in the pool have some FIBA experience and Team USA experience thanks to the younger competitions and the mini camps. In addition, the FIBA rules have gotten a lot more aligned with the NBA rules so it isn't such a foreign game. Pop, who was part of Larry Brown's staff in 2004 wants gold, Jerry G wants gold, etc. I feel like the structure is in place to leverage our overall depth advantage.

Looks like roster attrition isn't unique to the U.S.

As reported on the front page yesterday, R.J. Barrett has withdrawn from the competition to recover from a calf injury he sustained in summer league. No word on the reaction of Team Canada's general manager, Rowan Barrett Sr.

Today Dallas Mavericks center Dwight Powell also withdrew from the World Cup.

Canada should still have a super-talented backcourt with Jamal Murray, Cory Joseph, and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, plus guys like Nik Stauskas and Dillon Brooks. But the front court has taken a hit with the absence of Powell and Tristan Thompson. Outside of Kelly Olynyk, Canada will have to turn to less proven players like Khem Birch, Chris Boucher, and Trey Lyles.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post

As reported on the front page yesterday, R.J. Barrett has withdrawn from the competition to recover from a calf injury he sustained in summer league. No word on the reaction of Team Canada's general manager, Rowan Barrett Sr.

Canada should still have a super-talented backcourt with Jamal Murray, Cory Joseph, and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, plus guys like Nik Stauskas and Dillon Brooks. But the front court has taken a hit with the absence of Powell and Tristan Thompson. Outside of Kelly Olynyk, Canada will have to turn to less proven players like Khem Birch, Chris Boucher, and Trey Lyles.
    I have just received word that Rowan Barrett Sr. is not impressed with R.J.’s decision and is not giving him any more allowance.

The US had a few more defections with Andre Drummond and Montrezl Harrel opting out. But Bam Adebayo was added to the primary pool and Jaren Jackson Jr. was added to the Select Team (I think Landry Shamet bowed out)
    https://www.nba.com/article/2019/08/...world-cup-camp

Jerry C is still bullish, and says Pop invited K to embed with the staff for part of training camp next week, which is awesome.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/02/s...world-cup.html

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    I have just received word that Rowan Barrett Sr. is not impressed with R.J.’s decision and is not giving him any more allowance.
    Now *that* is funny stuff.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

and Julius Randle is out

Think I'll head to the gym and start practicing lay-ups. Just in case.

The Team USA training came begins today and we should start to get hints about which players seem like they will make the team and which will get cut. I hope they give a long look at some off the select team guys who are younger and were invited to provide a training camp scrimmage opponent. Frankly, there are 5+ guys on this team who I think could get strong consideration for the main National Team.

The USA Basketball Select Team includes Jarrett Allen (Brooklyn Nets); Marvin Bagley III (Sacramento Kings); Mikal Bridges (Phoenix Suns); Jalen Brunson (Dallas Mavericks); John Collins (Atlanta Hawks); Pat Connaughton (Milwaukee Bucks); Torrey Craig (Denver Nuggets); De’Aaron Fox (Sacramento Kings); Joe Harris (Brooklyn Nets); Jonathan Isaac (Orlando Magic); Jaren Jackson Jr. (Memphis Grizzlies); Mitchell Robinson (New York Knicks); Derrick White (San Antonio Spurs); and Trae Young (Atlanta Hawks).
    -Jason "Allen, Bagley, Collins, Fox, Harris, JJJr, and Trae should all be contenders for the main team" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

The Team USA training came begins today and we should start to get hints about which players seem like they will make the team and which will get cut. I hope they give a long look at some off the select team guys who are younger and were invited to provide a training camp scrimmage opponent. Frankly, there are 5+ guys on this team who I think could get strong consideration for the main National Team.
    -Jason "Allen, Bagley, Collins, Fox, Harris, JJJr, and Trae should all be contenders for the main team" Evans
    As big of a college and NBA fan that I am, I have never heard of Torrey Craig of the Nuggets.

I just did some Googling and his is a pretty great beat-the-odds story ($)
    https://theathletic.com/938371/2019/...h-the-nuggets/

I agree with Jason about the Select Team, it would be fun to see 1-2 of these guys get a call up, but I think Mason is the only guy who had ever made that leap (2014). If any year would be likely, it seems like this would be it.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!

Yeah, they should make it so that if you represent your country you get free college tuition! Uh, er, hmm...nevermind.

I spoke too soon: Jamal Murray and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander are also out. The list of NBA-players skipping the tournament, both for the US and other countries, continues to grow.

It's great that Antetokounmpo and Jokic are planning the play, but FIBA has a serious problem on their hands regarding the availability of NBA players. The competition overall suffers when the best players skip. They need to work with the NBA to find ways to encourage player participation---things like expanded insurance coverage for the teams, better scheduling, player compensation, etc. But this is the same organization that shifted qualifying to mid-year times when no NBA or Euroleague players can participate, so the odds of FIBA figuring this one out are slim.

It's great that Antetokounmpo and Jokic are planning the play, but FIBA has a serious problem on their hands regarding the availability of NBA players. The competition overall suffers when the best players skip. They need to work with the NBA to find ways to encourage player participation---things like expanded insurance coverage for the teams, better scheduling, player compensation, etc. But this is the same organization that shifted qualifying to mid-year times when no NBA or Euroleague players can participate, so the odds of FIBA figuring this one out are slim.
    They first problem was using the World Cup as their model. It's a great aspiration, but until they cut the NBA in on the $$$ in a serious way (and by the NBA, I mean the owners), then they aren't going to get that cooperation. Still, the arc of history is long and as the NBA continues to spread wide across the globe, perhaps this tournament will grow to the point where the interest and money all align to make NBA owners want to adjust their league's schedule and make their best players available. If that all happens, and some major consistent rivals to the US can emerge over the long term, maybe this thing can take off.

I wonder when the best time of year would be to hold this. Do it in the summer and NBA players are going to complain about their off-season being interrupted, doing it in August seems like a situation that makes sense -- when guys are gearing up to start training camp again -- but it does not seem to have worked at all. The money is probably a problem but without star players you are not going to get money and without money you are not going to get star players.

-Jason "I think the World Cup is never going to come close to the Olympics in terms of interest... if you are a star player, what is your incentive to play in this tourney?" Evans

I wonder when the best time of year would be to hold this. Do it in the summer and NBA players are going to complain about their off-season being interrupted, doing it in August seems like a situation that makes sense -- when guys are gearing up to start training camp again -- but it does not seem to have worked at all. The money is probably a problem but without star players you are not going to get money and without money you are not going to get star players.

-Jason "I think the World Cup is never going to come close to the Olympics in terms of interest... if you are a star player, what is your incentive to play in this tourney?" Evans
    Coach K made the World Cup relevant to NBA players. He may or may not be the greatest X and O coach of all time, but he is clearly a great organization guy, the straw that stirred the drink for USA basketball. He encouraged/recruited the greatest players in the NBA to play on the U.S. team, recent events show how great K was at this.

Now that Pop is in charge, I have to say that I just don't care. I'm not all that interested in the B Ball World Cup.

In other news the us pan am team won the bronze medal

Pop article: https://sports.yahoo.com/popovich-fi...l&uh_test=1_02

I didn't realize the USA lost 2x in qualifying -- I guess those were the Jeff Van Gundy-coached teams.