Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

2019 FIBA World Cup Thread

The US Announced the finalists for the squad that will compete in the 2019 FIBA World Cup taking place 8/31 - 9/15 in China.

Harrison Barnes
    Bradley Beal
    Anthony Davis
    Andre Drummond
    Eric Gordon
    James Harden
    Tobias Harris
    Kyle Kuzma
    Damian Lillard
    Brook Lopez
    Kevin Love
    Kyle Lowry
    CJ McCollum
    Khris Middleton
    Paul Millsap
    Donovan Mitchell
    Jayson Tatum
    P.J. Tucker
    Myles Turner
    Kemba Walker

They'll eventually have to pare this list down to 12.

Here's the training schedule with the traditional camp in Las Vegas in early August and then a bunch of exhibition games in Australia including vs Australia (x2), Spain and Canada.
    https://www.usab.com/mens/national-team/schedule.aspx

Pop replaces K as the head coach and his assistants are Kerr, Lloyd Pierce (Hawks HC) and Jay Wright.

As has been reported elsewhere, while they have not named the full Select Team (the team that scrimmages the Senior Team), Zion is going to be participating as part of it. Van Gundy is coaching the Select Team, a cool nod to his achievements in guiding a collection of changing G-League and non-NBA Americans through the new FIBA World Cup qualifying process.

Is Davis really likely to participate? Surprised he didn’t take himself off the list given the uncertainty about his future status.

Lots of the best players in the US not on that final list. I understand why on each level those people aren’t playing (see comment above) but it may make the gap between the US and the field smaller and could make the tournament more interesting.
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

I'll be watching closely. I really came of age as a USA basketball fan from 2000-2006, when losses were the norm. It still shapes my worldview on FIBA basketball. It seems like we're trending back in that direction--close calls in 2000 foretold of losses to come, and USA had plenty of close calls in 2016.

I'm glad there will be a minicamp with cuts, rather than just going down an invite list until 12 guys say yes. That's a step in the right direction. But USA will need to take this seriously to win.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Lots of the best players in the US not on that final list. I understand why on each level those people aren’t playing (see comment above) but it may make the gap between the US and the field smaller and could make the tournament more interesting.
    Way lots. I think K did a great job when he was at the helm of bringing the attitude of pride over status when it came to the national team, and I think Pop will continue that philosophy. That being said, it's still sadly astounding that the cream of the country's crop isn't the team that represents.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by pfrduke View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    I'll be watching closely. I really came of age as a USA basketball fan from 2000-2006, when losses were the norm. It still shapes my worldview on FIBA basketball. It seems like we're trending back in that direction--close calls in 2000 foretold of losses to come, and USA had plenty of close calls in 2016. I'm glad there will be a minicamp with cuts, rather than just going down an invite list until 12 guys say yes. That's a step in the right direction. But USA will need to take this seriously to win.
    The World Cup (formerly World Championships) has always featured "lesser" names than the Olympics since we reclaimed the Gold in 2008. The 2010 team and 2014 teams mostly featured guys that drew some of the same reactions as you had to this list, even though they later became superstars.

2010 - Durant, Westbrook, Curry
    2014 - Klay, Harden, Cousins, Kyrie

I think this squad is a good mix of proven stars (Harden, Lillard, Beal, AD) and guys with FIBA experience (Love, Gordon, Barnes, Lowry plus some fresh new hungry faces (Mitchell) to get the job done. To me, it's a bit of a gap year before some of the really young studs can start to get invites, ala Tatum. I bet a bunch of those guys (Bagley, etc.) will be on the Select Team.

It's also a reminder that the top of the NBA isn't necessarily eligible to play for the USA

ALL NBA FIRST TEAM

F: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Milwaukee Bucks - not eligible
    F: Paul George, Oklahoma City Thunder - has done his part, including suffering a grave injury participating in Team USA camp
    C: Nikola Jokić, Denver Nuggets - not eligible
    G: James Harden, Houston Rockets - participating, despite alreading participating in 2012, 14 and 16
    G: Stephen Curry, Golden State Warriors - participated in 2010 and 2016

SECOND TEAM

F: Kevin Durant, Golden State Warriors - currently injured
    F: Kawhi Leonard, Toronto Raptors - has never participated, which is odd. Something tells me Pop's coaching would keep him away
    C: Joel Embiid, Philadelphia 76ers - not eligible
    G: Damian Lillard, Portland Trail Blazers - participating
    G: Kyrie Irving, Boston Celtics - already played in 2010, 2012 and 2016

THIRD TEAM

F: Blake Griffin, Detroit Pistons - has tried to participate many times but something always happened
    F: LeBron James, Los Angeles Lakers - 2004, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2016 - the King has served
    C: Rudy Gobert, Utah Jazz - not eligible
    G: Russell Westbrook, Oklahoma City Thunder - 2010, 2014, 2016 - he has served
    G: Kemba Walker, Charlotte Hornets - participating

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Dat View Post
    The World Cup (formerly World Championships) has always featured "lesser" names than the Olympics since we reclaimed the Gold in 2008. The 2010 team and 2014 teams mostly featured guys that drew some of the same reactions as you had to this list, even though they later became superstars.

2010 - Durant, Westbrook, Curry
    2014 - Klay, Harden, Cousins, Kyrie

I think this squad is a good mix of proven stars (Harden, Lillard, Beal, AD) and guys with FIBA experience (Love, Gordon, Barnes, Lowry plus some fresh new hungry faces (Mitchell) to get the job done. To me, it's a bit of a gap year before some of the really young studs can start to get invites, ala Tatum. I bet a bunch of those guys (Bagley, etc.) will be on the Select Team.
    I agree the talent level on this list is enough to win, like in 2010 or 2014. But I'm vigilant for any backsliding into the bad habits of some of the previous years. That's why I was relieved to see tryouts/minicamp/cuts, rather than just inviting guys. That's a good way to have a team that's focused and ready to compete. it's how someone like Kenneth Faried, who normally wouldn't represent Team USA, could play himself onto the team and be one of the best players in 2014.

I agree the talent level on this list is enough to win, like in 2010 or 2014. But I'm vigilant for any backsliding into the bad habits of some of the previous years. That's why I was relieved to see tryouts/minicamp/cuts, rather than just inviting guys. That's a good way to have a team that's focused and ready to compete. it's how someone like Kenneth Faried, who normally wouldn't represent Team USA, could play himself onto the team and be one of the best players in 2014.
    If you really want to sober up, how about the list of guys who helped us qualify...and this is only a partial list as the process took years and they swapped guys in and out.

4 Josh Adams G 6-2 190 25 Raptors 905/Wyoming/Parker, CO
    15 Kyle Casey F 6-7 225 28 Memphis Hustle/Harvard/Medway, MA
    7 Chris Chiozza G 6-0 175 23 Capital City Go-Go/Florida/Memphis, TN
    6 Charles Cooke G 6-5 195 24 Sioux Falls Skyforce / Dayton / Trenton, NJ
    5 Michael Frazier II G 6-4 200 24 Rio Grande Valley Vipers/Florida/Tampa, FL
    10 Reggie Hearn G 6-4 209 26 Stockton Kings/Northwestern/Fort Wayne, IN
    11 Tanner McGrew F 6-8 250 25 Salt Lake City Stars/West Virginia Wesleyan/Buckhannon,WV
    9 Xavier Munford G 6-3 190 26 Wisconsin Herd/Rhode Island /Newark, NJ
    13 Chinanu Onuaku C 6-9 250 22 Greensboro Swarm/Louisville /Lanham, MD
    14 Cameron Reynolds F 6-8 225 23 Stockton Kings/Tulane /Pearland, TX
    8 Travis Trice G 6-2 177 25 Austin Spurs/Michigan State/Huber Heights, OH
    12 Stephen Zimmerman C 6-11 240 22 Westchester Knicks / UNLV / Las Vegas, NV

The benefit is that all countries had the same qualification process so those that are heavy on NBA talent had to also field some rag-tag squads.

USA vs Canada should be the next great rivalry. Canada is on the cusp of having a really serious squad if all those big names play, starting with our guy RJ!!!!!

If you really want to sober up, how about the list of guys who helped us qualify...and this is only a partial list as the process took years and they swapped guys in and out.

4 Josh Adams G 6-2 190 25 Raptors 905/Wyoming/Parker, CO
    15 Kyle Casey F 6-7 225 28 Memphis Hustle/Harvard/Medway, MA
    7 Chris Chiozza G 6-0 175 23 Capital City Go-Go/Florida/Memphis, TN
    6 Charles Cooke G 6-5 195 24 Sioux Falls Skyforce / Dayton / Trenton, NJ
    5 Michael Frazier II G 6-4 200 24 Rio Grande Valley Vipers/Florida/Tampa, FL
    10 Reggie Hearn G 6-4 209 26 Stockton Kings/Northwestern/Fort Wayne, IN
    11 Tanner McGrew F 6-8 250 25 Salt Lake City Stars/West Virginia Wesleyan/Buckhannon,WV
    9 Xavier Munford G 6-3 190 26 Wisconsin Herd/Rhode Island /Newark, NJ
    13 Chinanu Onuaku C 6-9 250 22 Greensboro Swarm/Louisville /Lanham, MD
    14 Cameron Reynolds F 6-8 225 23 Stockton Kings/Tulane /Pearland, TX
    8 Travis Trice G 6-2 177 25 Austin Spurs/Michigan State/Huber Heights, OH
    12 Stephen Zimmerman C 6-11 240 22 Westchester Knicks / UNLV / Las Vegas, NV

The benefit is that all countries had the same qualification process so those that are heavy on NBA talent had to also field some rag-tag squads.
    If you're going to list those guys, don't forget that Marshall played his part, appearing in all 5 AmeriCup games in 2017. Incredibly that means Miles is the only Plumlee brother not to play for the USA senior national team.

If you're going to list those guys, don't forget that Marshall played his part, appearing in all 5 AmeriCup games in 2017. Incredibly that means Miles is the only Plumlee brother not to play for the USA senior national team.
    Good call, and Amile, too. Now that Miles has attended Burning Man, something tells me he won't be making the climb to Senior Team Status.

I was so excited when I saw the subject line (although I thought the thread should be on the Off Topic board). With the World Cup starting Saturday and the USA Women getting ready to play tomorrow at 3pm...then I realized it was a hoops thread and hit mentions HWMNBN by name, no less. Argh!

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I was so excited when I saw the subject line (although I thought the thread should be on the Off Topic board). With the World Cup starting Saturday and the USA Women getting ready to play tomorrow at 3pm...then I realized it was a hoops thread and hit mentions HWMNBN by name, no less. Argh!

Oh, Skype Boy is on the tryout list just so he can be the final cut.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Oh, Skype Boy is on the tryout list just so he can be the final cut.
    How will the coaches notify him that he’s been cut?

Good call, and Amile, too. Now that Miles has attended Burning Man, something tells me he won't be making the climb to Senior Team Status.
    Best part of that link is the unicycle video

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    How will the coaches notify him that he’s been cut?
    By black pigeon?

What do we think? Maybe the second best team in the tournament? I think it is a virtual certainty that Canada will have the most NBA players outside of Team USA. Feels like Spain is getting older (Rubio and Gasols are not exactly in their prime any more). France has Gobert, Batum, and Fornier and Serbia could be really good with Jokic, Bogdanović, and several other NBAers.

-Jason "I'm gonna go ahead and guess right now that the medals go: USA, Canada, and then Serbia" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I'm a pessimist when it comes to these things. From 2000-06 the US routinely lost tournaments with talented but non-cohesive rosters. We've been on a fantastic run since then (THANK YOU COACH K!!), but we are seriously due for a loss, and have come very close recently.

It's awfully hard to meet the standard of "never lose a game, ever." To do that, you need some combination of 1) overwhelming talent, 2) roster cohesion, 3) serious commitment, and 4) some luck. The less you have in any one category, the higher the chances of an upset.

I fear #1--overwhelming talent--is starting to slip away. Here's the roster again:

Harrison Barnes
    Bradley Beal
    Anthony Davis
    Andre Drummond
    Eric Gordon
    James Harden
    Tobias Harris
    Kyle Kuzma
    Damian Lillard
    Brook Lopez
    Kevin Love
    Kyle Lowry
    CJ McCollum
    Khris Middleton
    Paul Millsap
    Donovan Mitchell
    Jayson Tatum
    P.J. Tucker
    Myles Turner
    Kemba Walker
    Anthony Davis recently announced he won't participate. That leaves six players who were All-Stars in 2019: Harden, Beal, Lillard, Lowry, Middleton, and Walker. A talented list, for sure, but there's a lot of positional overlap. And what happens if one or two more drop out? We'll have a very good roster, but not the sort of overwhelming top-level talent that can make every game a mismatch. Sure, we'll still destroy the minnows (like Japan), but in the knockout rounds will Canada, France, Australia, Serbia or Lithuania be that far behind a team whose stars are Kemba Walker, Kyle Lowry and Khris Middleton?

All of which is to say, the margin for error keeps creeping lower. No matter which 12 are selected, the US will be the favorites. But it won't be a sure thing.

I'm a pessimist when it comes to these things. From 2000-06 the US routinely lost tournaments with talented but non-cohesive rosters. We've been on a fantastic run since then (THANK YOU COACH K!!), but we are seriously due for a loss, and have come very close recently.

It's awfully hard to meet the standard of "never lose a game, ever." To do that, you need some combination of 1) overwhelming talent, 2) roster cohesion, 3) serious commitment, and 4) some luck. The less you have in any one category, the higher the chances of an upset.

I fear #1--overwhelming talent--is starting to slip away. Here's the roster again:

Anthony Davis recently announced he won't participate. That leaves six players who were All-Stars in 2019: Harden, Beal, Lillard, Lowry, Middleton, and Walker. A talented list, for sure, but there's a lot of positional overlap. And what happens if one or two more drop out? We'll have a very good roster, but not the sort of overwhelming top-level talent that can make every game a mismatch. Sure, we'll still destroy the minnows (like Japan), but in the knockout rounds will Canada, France, Australia, Serbia or Lithuania be that far behind a team whose stars are Kemba Walker, Kyle Lowry and Khris Middleton?

All of which is to say, the margin for error keeps creeping lower. No matter which 12 are selected, the US will be the favorites. But it won't be a sure thing.
    We get your a pessimist. But a lineup of Walker, Beal, Middleton, Love, Lopez? Lowry, McCollum, Harris, Barnes, Drummond as a 2nd line? YMMV on who gets plugged in where, but those don't strike me as lesser lineups. Assuming all those other top-tier countries are dealing with some declines, our team looks pretty great all things considered.

Maybe I'm missing something. Or maybe I'm an optimist.

- Chillin

I can understand the optimist and pessimistic point of view. The good news for the US, is that if Canada is the closest talent wise, it won’t be any more cohesive than the US team, like some of the European and/or Argentinian teams recently. Unfortunately, Canada hasn’t won anything recently and hasn’t been in an Olympics or World Cup for awhile, so I am not expecting a silver medal by the team that couldn’t beat Uruguay when it needed to a couple years ago. I am hoping R.J. and the young guns will change this, but I want to see some wins against good teams first. The US team certainly doesn’t have the overwhelming talent of some of the past teams, but it should be more than enough to fairly easily beat any other country. Of course, single elimination means anything can happen.