Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
    You know Bagley has arrived when he’s now considered good enough to turn down an invitation to the National Team. In a couple years I could see him being a turn-down-the-All-Star-Game level player.

I'm feeling for Pops...I was hoping that he could continue the good vibes that K had installed.
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    I'm feeling for Pops...I was hoping that he could continue the good vibes that K had installed.
    I'm not. Even with all the drop outs, the US are overwhelming favorites.

It's mainly a product of the International landscape getting, well, crappier over the last 10 years. Long gone are the Spains and Argentinas of the world, ie teams with a great blend of stars, NBA role players, and continuity (the continuity is still there). The two best players outside of Team USA are Giannis for Greece and Jokic for Serbia. Greece isn't good because a) Giannis hasn't played for Greece in 3 years and b) there is really no one else who is that good on Greece. Serbia is likely the biggest threat to the US but their starting PG is out with foot problems and they don't have any guard power. Their 3 best players are all big men.

Australia and Canada are threats, but they are also missing their best players.

If Team USA loses, it won't be because of being out-talented. I have a ton of faith in Pop; his biggest asset over Coach K is that he knows these players inside and out (hell, playing against them is his day job!). He'll be fine.
    Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things. - Winston Churchill

President of the "Nolan Smith Should Have His Jersey in The Rafters" Club

It's a bummer about Bagley. I understand why he may have declined moving forward without knowing if he was going to make the team, especially because they may keep some guys all the way until the end before they cut them. The Kings are playing preseason games in India on 10/4 and 10/5, I am sure that additional travel factored into his decision. I hope it doesn't hurt his rep with Colangelo.

I don't think K's involvement impacts whether guys stay or leave. Maybe it would have made it harder for Marvin to back out.

Based on his lack of involvement with the team, I happen to think Australia is better off without Ben Simmons for this tournament. It reminds me a bit of how Serge Ibaka never really fit with Spain. Simmons can't shoot and while I am sure he'd have created some open court hoops, I think he'd have bogged down their continuity offense. Their current core is good for one last solid run at their first international medal.

Quote Originally Posted by moonpie23 View Post
    Yikes! Pop is LOVING this. He still has by far the most talented roster with more than enough shooting on it, AND he now gets to play the "disrespect" card with these extremely talented American players, getting them to unite and prove the "doubters" wrong.

If the USA fails to win gold, it'll probably be because:
    (1) Pop shows that he isn't as good as Coach K at getting a newly formed team to play well together quickly, an underrated (as in never-mentioned outside of Duke circles) skill of Coach K's, leading to lots of success in pre-conference play in Nov/Dec, including highlights like the destruction of Kentucky last November. You could say this skill basically *is* the job of the Team USA head coach in a nutshell, and we'll see if Pop can do it.

(2) Pop opts to play a two-big lineup too much. He really should just start Jayson at the 4, much like how Coach K used NBA SFs at the 4 in FIBA play to give opposing big men headaches.

A lot of people don't give enough credit to Coach K for actually recruiting all these superstars to play for the team in the first place. This is over multiple Olympics and World Cups.

Lowry out

https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-raptors-p...quad-1.1350189
    I think the article said that currently leaves 15 players for 12 spots.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    https://www.tsn.ca/toronto-raptors-p...quad-1.1350189
    I think the article said that currently leaves 15 players for 12 spots.
    Lowry was an underrated key to the 2016 gold medal. While the team was stacked with scorers, it struggled with half court defense, which was evident in the close calls against Australia, Serbia, and France. Coach K started playing Lowry more, often at the expense of Kyrie Irving. The defense got better. K also started staggering his lineups so that he'd pair Irving with DeAndre Jordan and Lowry with DeMarcus Cousins--that way each pair had at least one player capable of defending the pick and roll well.

This team will miss Lowry's experience, defense, and steady hand.

The true example of how well Coach K did in coaching these pros was how he got stars like Carmelo to come off the bench and not complain about it, not once. Now Pop doesn’t have this star issue in front of him but we will see how good he is at getting them to play together. With a group like this multiple players are going to want to be the star and that will creat team issues so Pop is going to need to control this, if he can.

Kelly Olynyk out

https://www.tsn.ca/report-kelly-olyn...mpression=true

Another one bites the dust, this time from Canada. Should be fine for the season.
    “Those two kids, they’re champions,” Krzyzewski said of his senior leaders. “They’re trying to teach the other kids how to become that, and it’s a long road to become that.”

Quote Originally Posted by NSDukeFan View Post
    https://www.tsn.ca/report-kelly-olyn...mpression=true

Another one bites the dust, this time from Canada. Should be fine for the season.
    Whew... we think Team USA has been hard hit by NBA defections and injuries. Canada has been decimated.

Only Khem Birch (Magic) and Cory Joseph (Kings) are NBA regulars. Luguentz Dort (Thunder, G-League) and Marial Shayok (76ers, G-League) are 2-way contract guys who are very close to being NBA talent but pretty much all the NBA talent in Canada is sitting this one out. Here are the Canadian NBA guys who have dropped out (or gotten hurt): RJ Barrett, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Dillon Brooks, Chris Boucher (G-League MVP and a future Raptor) Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Justin Jackson, Trey Lyles, Jamaal Murray, Kelly Olynyk, Dwight Powell, Nick Stauskas, Tristan Thompson, and Andrew Wiggins.

-Jason "Whew... they have gone from being a strong medal contender to a team that will struggle to get out of their tough group and into the knockout stage" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Shots fired!!

Let’s let [Team USA] play their basketball and we will play ours and if we meet, may God help them," Djordjevic said.

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/...ch-on-team-usa

Jerry Colangelo speaking in barely coded language that Bagley's drop out was a surprise and none too welcome (start at 2:38)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hn8vJQZt1zk

Hmmm...a "Select Team" of guys who helped US qualify, but are mostly playing overseas or in the G-League, thumped the Senior National Team in some short scrimmages
    https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/t...e-nba-players/

Similar to Bobby Hurley et al thumping the Dream Team in San Diego in 1992?

If a G-league team can kick their a— then any pro foreign team can do the same. They will be lucky to make it to the second round and a metal, any metal, is in some serious question. 36 to 17, really?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    If a G-league team can kick their a— then any pro foreign team can do the same. They will be lucky to make it to the second round and a metal, any metal, is in some serious question. 36 to 17, really?
    Although gold, silver and bronze are most definitely metals, competitors are usually going for medals. Just joshin' ya.'
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Well, maybe nickel is surely possible, lol.

Maybe this comes from the "Chuck Daly school of putting you in your place"...

Some context for loss to Select Team
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/basketb...Hour-Practice-

“Nobody gave the whole perspective of what happened. They just threw the score up and said, ‘They lost.’ It was two quarters after we’d been playing two hours...We didn’t play a game. That was two quarters of practice and whatever. We come in today and nobody talked about it," Tucker told Marc Stein of The New York Times.”

We don’t have long to wait to see how good or bad they look as there is an exhibition game against Spain tonight. I think it is on NBA TV and streaming on Twitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazman10 View Post
    It was actually a 38 to 17 loss in a 10 minute scrimmage. The US is still -225 to win it all but this is a bit concerning. Hopefully they show up tonight vs. Spain.

https://basketball.realgm.com/wireta...ect-Team-By-21