Page 3 of 27 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

random facts

USA has won the championship only 5 of the 17 times it has been played (including the last two times): 1954; 1986; 1994; 2010; 2014

MVPs from USA: Kirby Minter (1954); Shaq (1994); Durant (2010); Kyrie (2014). When the USA won in 1986, Petrovic of YUG was the MVP ... David Robinson was only USA player on first team in 1986.

1986 gold-winning team had Amaker on it. Here's the final game against Russia (2-point USA win): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu__2mMYjH8

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Add Tobias Harris to the list of players opting to stay home and not play for Team USA. Supposedly, Lillard and KLove are also wavering a bit. Hardly surprising as it sorta looks like all the established stars are leaving and if you stay you look like someone who is lesser than them.

The latest talk is that Marcus Smart, Jaylen Brown, Thaddeus Young, De’Angelo Russell, and Aaron Gordon are going to be invited to the “select team” that will scrimmage against the main team (along with guys like Trae Young and John Collins) and of any of the select players play really well, they could easily make the main World Cup roster.

Jason “disgusted... I may be rooting for Canada or Serbia to win the Cup at this point” Evans
    Lillard and DeRozan back out …

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/2...iba-world-cup/

Last one in the gym, turn off the lights when you leave.

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    Almost equivalent to playing college players who were usually juniors and seniors. The big challenge is generating a team that plays well together. That requires some leadership on the floor. I suspect the US will not win the gold and the stars will come back for the next big tourney.
    We should still be a big favorite. Current roster below:

Still enough for a great starting lineup and bench. As an example for the starters:

Walker - Mitchell - Middleton - Tatum - Turner

(That's just what I would do but could see Millsap or Tucker in for Jayson. In fact, I like the ability to have great role players / glue guys like PJ Tucker on the team. It potentially can be more like a real team, maybe.)

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    USA has won the championship only 5 of the 17 times it has been played (including the last two times): 1954; 1986; 1994; 2010; 2014

MVPs from USA: Kirby Minter (1954); Shaq (1994); Durant (2010); Kyrie (2014). When the USA won in 1986, Petrovic of YUG was the MVP ... David Robinson was only USA player on first team in 1986.

1986 gold-winning team had Amaker on it. Here's the final game against Russia (2-point USA win): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu__2mMYjH8
    Wait, I thought Russia got an extra 3 do-overs at the end of close games.

(yep, *still* too soon )
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    ... I thought Russia got an extra 3 do-overs at the end of close games ... yep, *still* too soon ...
    Not to derail the thread (but it probably will; it's July) ... I have no memory of the 1972 Olympics. I grew up hearing how the US was robbed -- egregiously so. Decades later, I finally read up on it all and tried to look at it in a somewhat in-depth manner (might've been spurred by some anniversary or a newspaper account) and I recall coming away from the closer inspection with the feeling that it was a series of somewhat understandable refereeing decisions -- reasonable in the moment -- and not egregiously wrong or ill-motivated. In other words, the Duke football "loss" to Miami on Halloween a few years ago is still the biggest injustice in the history of sports.

Quote Originally Posted by Reilly View Post
    Not to derail the thread (but it probably will; it's July) ... I have no memory of the 1972 Olympics. I grew up hearing how the US was robbed -- egregiously so. Decades later, I finally read up on it all and tried to look at it in a somewhat in-depth manner (might've been spurred by some anniversary or a newspaper account) and I recall coming away from the closer inspection with the feeling that it was a series of somewhat understandable refereeing decisions -- reasonable in the moment -- and not egregiously wrong or ill-motivated. In other words, the Duke football "loss" to Miami on Halloween a few years ago is still the biggest injustice in the history of sports.
    Interesting take. You should offer your opinion to Chris Collins' dad Doug, should you ever see him at a cocktail party.

All this talk of dwindling numbers and a preference for young players with star potential has got me wondering...where is Devin Booker? As far as I can tell he was part of the player pool a year ago, but didn't get an invite this year. Seems like his shooting would come in handy, and he's still just 22 years old. Great time to represent his country and get some experience in elimination games (goodness knows he's not getting that in Phoenix).

Anyone know why he hasn't been invited?

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We should still be a big favorite. Current roster below:

Still enough for a great starting lineup and bench. As an example for the starters:

Walker - Mitchell - Middleton - Tatum - Turner

(That's just what I would do but could see Millsap or Tucker in for Jayson. In fact, I like the ability to have great role players / glue guys like PJ Tucker on the team. It potentially can be more like a real team, maybe.)
    I am not so sure. I don’t have a sense of whether their are any other good teams out there- like Spain or Argentina several years ago- but the US roster does not have a lot of international ball experience. It could be fine but I could see an upset.

if they are indeed destined to lose, could it be arranged for the responsibility to fall squarely in the lap of HWMFNSNBM?
    "One POSSIBLE future. From your point of view... I don't know tech stuff.".... Kyle Reese

Quote Originally Posted by dukelifer View Post
    I am not so sure. I don’t have a sense of whether their are any other good teams out there- like Spain or Argentina several years ago- but the US roster does not have a lot of international ball experience. It could be fine but I could see an upset.
    I could see an upset, too, but the talent to go undefeated is there. I especially like how there is a lot of shooting on the team, including bigs that can shoot.

Reasons unrelated to talent could be the cause of an upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Truth&Justise View Post
    All this talk of dwindling numbers and a preference for young players with star potential has got me wondering...where is Devin Booker? As far as I can tell he was part of the player pool a year ago, but didn't get an invite this year. Seems like his shooting would come in handy, and he's still just 22 years old. Great time to represent his country and get some experience in elimination games (goodness knows he's not getting that in Phoenix).

Anyone know why he hasn't been invited?
    Not sure where Booker is. He was previously on the list - https://www.nba.com/suns/devin-booke...onal-team#gref

What was Lillard's reasoning? Seems like a good time for him to take his game to another level.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Interesting take. You should offer your opinion to Chris Collins' dad Doug, should you ever see him at a cocktail party.
    But before the first drink is served.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by superdave View Post

What was Lillard's reasoning? Seems like a good time for him to take his game to another level.
    More so a good time to take his brand to another level.

Mason Plumped has been added to the National team roster (where he will compete for one of the final 12 spots) and Bagley was chosen for the select team that will scrimmage them.
    Congrats.

PLUMLEE. +$%- autocorrect. Too late to edit.

Wasn’t Mason on one of the Coach K World Cup teams?

Quote Originally Posted by gep View Post
    Wasn’t Mason on one of the Coach K World Cup teams?
    Yup, the 2014 team included Mason. It also had scrubs like Harden, Kyrie, Steph, Klay, Boogie, and the Brow.

-Jason "Mason was 11th out of 12 players in minutes played on that team... only Andre Drummond was lower" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by Owen Meany View Post
    Mason Plumped...
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

there's no way this many guys pull out if Coach K is still the HC. As great a coach as Pop is, he doesn't have the relationship building ability K has.

Quote Originally Posted by frb View Post
    there's no way this many guys pull out if Coach K is still the HC. As great a coach as Pop is, he doesn't have the relationship building ability K has.
    Well the picture of Bronnie in a Duke uniform tells me that LJ thinks a lot of Coach K and their time together so I too think it has to do with the leader. I would bet at least $100 that the US does not win the WC. I’m wondering if this team without a STAR will be a problem in that just about everyone of them will think they should be the STAR and it will take someone special to get them to play together and I do not think Pop is the answer. Coach K proved he could get stars to come off the bench and I don’t think Pop can do that.